Matt Chat - Brian Heins on Tyranny and South Park

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Matt Chat 454 - an interview with Brian Heins:

Matt Chat 454: Brian Heins on Tyranny and South Park

Brian Heins returns to talk about Tyranny, the ups and downs of crowdfunding, comedy in games, and of course, South Park: Stick of Truth.
More information.

Loved playing Tyranny and sad we'll never see a sequel.:(

Never played any of the South Park RPGs. Maybe I should.:thinking:

Never played any of the South Park RPGs. Maybe I should.:thinking:

If you enjoy the tv show, sure, you should. If you don't (or haven't watched it), then it's probably not worth it. There's nothing special about the two games as far as rpg mechanics go, but they do a fairly impressive job of feeling like the South Park show, only as a game (something a lot of games based on tv/movies struggle with).

Tyranny was an awesome game, one of the top5 CRPGs of all times in my book. I played it twice, and a I almost never do that.

I only played the first South Park game, not long after it was first released, and while I'm perhaps only a minor fan of the show itself, the game was actually quite good. If you enjoyed some of the nineties games like Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star and others, you'd likely enjoy the game as it seemed patterned after this style. I've not played the second offering so no insight there.

Horribly BAD Tyranny, a big BlackGuards 1-2 Rip-Off. Also in another Obsidian game Pillars of Deadly SHTFire.. what do I see? A blatant Attack on Titan Rip-Off.. during the intro. WOW! This has Obsidian become: a brain-dead bunch of vampire fossils unable to do creative stuff since Black Isle..

Do you have Turrets?

No, I upgraded to flamethrowers once I found oil. It was a bit tough making the converstion from AP ammo to flame at first. I added dragonsteeth to the wall at pressure points to slow them down. Once I gota few solar fields up I added lasers as a backup. The biters haven't bothered me much since then.

♡Factorio

Also, Tyranny sucks :)
Different tastes. Both our opinions are valid.

I also thought Tyranny was average. I'm happy for those who found it enjoyable, but I couldn't get into it despite making several well meant attempts. To me, the main issues was that like the recentish Torment sequel, the writing quality wasn't worth the constant meaningless walls of text.

I am one to enjoy walls of text when the narrative is well threaded and the content is enthralling, but weaving thousands of words unnecessarily in a constant dull verbose doesn't cut it for me, and it does not automatically make it into a good RPG in my book.

Back
Top Bottom