Star Renegades - Video Preview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
CogConnected have previewed Star Renegades.

Massive Damage, the indie developers behind Halcyon 6, have learned a lot from their first game, and their new follow-up Star Renegades has the potential to become a new indie classic. Star Renegades is a strategy RPG about an invading force of inter-dimensional robots who are slowly conquering and consuming the multiverse. In our time previewing the game hands-on, we found it to be something that's shaping up to be pretty special. To watch our full preview video of the game, just hit play on the video below.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I hope this is good but am a little doubtful. I played Halcyon 6 when it came out and found it to be rather boring. Like some more recent strategy games it relied on the whole procedurally-generated/random events loop to tie its various gameplay systems to... and for me, unless those systems are really, really well done, things become boring. And they did with Halcyon 6... not really much of a story and soon, I just didn't care to go through the same gameplay loops again. I know that title has been updated a fair bit since launch so maybe it's improved...

Anyway, what worries me about this new title is what seems like the same approach to design with procedurally-generated content. Maybe they've learned some lessons from Halcyon 6 but at this point, I'm a little wary of what this game will turn out to be like.

I'm not against emergent stories and gameplay but it's hard to do that really well and there are too many examples (I think) of smaller indie titles that don't have the experience to pull it off well. And frankly, when I think of strategy RPGs specifically, all the best ones I've played had at least decent stories which were hand-crafted - and none of which were within procedurally-generated worlds.

Halcyon 6 was pretty good for a while, but I also grew bored after 16 h (according to Steam). I definitely will give Star Renegade a chance, but it doesn't have top priority right now.

Back
Top Bottom