Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Alpha Test Results

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update concerning the Alpha test results for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

And the results?

You can find all the future steps and changes we will make in this table. Below we will talk about some of them in detail.

We will start with cutscenes. Ready? Take a deep breath. We will make cutscenes skippable. But only if you've already seen them. You will also be able to skip speech bubbles by clicking your mouse button. And even more--now you will get an autosave after a cutscene before the battle. So you won't have to skip/click through it again.

Another thing on the list is improving the appeal of the mythics and notifying when you made your first steps in them. We found out that some openings weren't apparent. To fix this and clearly communicate what mythics you have found, we decided to add a separate page to the mythic interface. And there will also be improvements to the mythic presentations so you will see what it can bring to the table.

Next on our list is the camera. In Pathfinder: Kingmaker camera was static, so there were no issues related to positioning and pivoting it, while in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous you will be able to rotate the camera. We had plans to add a button to return a camera into its default position. After discussing the feedback we decided to add sensitivity sliders, so you can set up the rotation speed of your camera. We are also planning to add a compass -- which was one of the most requested features -- to make it easier to navigate levels and local maps.

We also received feedback that encounters felt repetitive. The Adventure Path is all about fighting demons and cultists. We came up with a solution, which will allow us to expand a variety of mobs while keeping the integrity of the story. But we might keep it a secret for some time.
This also applies to Random Encounters, which we are checking and tuning, so they will become more interesting and less annoying,

Last but not least is the improvement of the tutorial. While we are working on the new and enhanced tutorial at the start of the game, some people raised concerns that it will be really hard for new players to choose a class and understand how it all works (especially with the number of classes and archetypes in the Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous). This is why we decided to add an additional tutorial for character creation.

There are many more changes, but we can't list all of them--it will take a lot of space and time. We are working on a peculiar infographic about the alpha test with some fun and interesting information which we will share tomorrow.

We want to express our gratitude to Alpha Testers for their support and feedback. It will help us to make Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous even better!

The next phase of testing -- Pre-Beta -- will launch closer to September and we are excited for your feedback! Especially on the changes that were made based on your feedback and made it into Pre-beta.

Pre-beta will be available for people with Alpha Access.
More information.

Rotating camera gets a thumbs up in my book. Imagine a crpg that appears to have been developed within the last decade. Progress!

We will start with cutscenes. Ready? Take a deep breath. We will make cutscenes skippable. But only if you've already seen them. You will also be able to skip speech bubbles by clicking your mouse button. And even more--now you will get an autosave after a cutscene before the battle. So you won't have to skip/click through it again.
That's a nice feature but have we seriously come to a point where someone can't watch a one minute cut-scene? Add in the mix skippable text. Yeah it's a nitpick but still.

Probably just me being a grognard as it defeats the point of playing an isometric RPG.

Still I love that Owlcat finally added a rotating camera. You had to mod that in Pathfinder.

That's a nice feature but have we seriously come to a point where someone can't watch a one minute cut-scene? Add in the mix skippable text. Yeah it's a nitpick but still.

Probably just me being a grognard as it defeats the point of playing an isometric RPG.

Still I love that Owlcat finally added a rotating camera. You had to mod that in Pathfinder.

I think this is a very convenient feature. If I replay or restart a game several times it becomes very annoying to watch the same cutscenes over and over again. Unless they are amazing. The first time the story is important, but after that it's not, at least for me.

I think this is a very convenient feature. If I replay or restart a game several times it becomes very annoying to watch the same cutscenes over and over again. Unless they are amazing. The first time the story is important, but after that it's not, at least for me.
Good point but I very rarely remember a games story after I finish it. I'm not kidding either as I replayed Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and the Witcher games many times.

I might remember the endings sure but not all the quests/cutscenes in every game.

Good point but I very rarely remember a games story after I finish it. I'm not kidding either as I replay Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and the Witcher games many times already.

I might remember the endings sure but not all the quests in every game.
I used to remember most story content in the games I play but I seem to forget more and more, maybe I'm getting there as well... :D

I used to remember most story content in the games I play but I seem to forget more and more, maybe I'm getting there as well… :D
Doesn't help that nowadays I got so much stuff happening in real life. I also find I don't enjoy playing games like I did five years ago. I won't stop but interest is dwindling.:(

So damn true but nowadays I got so much stuff happening in real life.:(
Yeah, same here. Gaming is less a lifestyle nowadays and more a diversion between work, family, health problems and other real life issues. But that's life and it's not all bad. :)

About the feature that enables you to skip the cut scenes - yes, this is needed in WotR. There were a number instances where a cut scene plays right before the tough encounter - this means, you need to watch the cut scene all over again if you need to reload. It was painful.

About the feature that enables you to skip the cut scenes - yes, this is needed in WotR. There were a number instances where a cut scene plays right before the tough encounter - this means, you need to watch the cut scene all over again if you need to reload. It was painful.
So basically testers were dying to much due to game difficulty, and had to re-watch the cut-scenes multiple times. Got it. Just one question how many cut-scenes exactly?

Sounds like a good feature! There was a long cutscene before the final Icewind Dale fight which was really tough, would have loved a "skip" button in my solo run. Good to see it here.

So basically testers were dying to much due to game difficulty, and had to re-watch the cut-scenes multiple times. Got it. Just one question how many cut-scenes exactly?

I can't remember how many exactly, but there were one or two particularly challenging encounters where cut scenes play right before the combat. Of course, things are much easier if you decide to clean out other area/rooms first and come back when you are more prepared/leveled up. I played on normal - most of encounters weren't that difficult (at least for me) but couple were really challenging (not that this is not a bad thing, I like challenges, just want to skip the cut scenes!).

I can't remember how many exactly, but there were one or two particularly challenging encounters where cut scenes play right before the combat. Of course, things are much easier if you decide to clean out other area/rooms first and come back when you are more prepared/leveled up. I played on normal - most of encounters weren't that difficult (at least for me) but couple were really challenging (not this is not a bad thing, I like challenges, just want to skip the cut scenes!).
Can you pick a lower game difficulty? As that might help with the cut-scenes for other players. Owlcat should probably add the story mode difficultly setting like in Pathfinder.

Can you pick a lower game difficulty? As that might help with the cut-scenes gpr other players. Owlcat should probably add the story mode difficultly setting like in Pathfinder.

Yep, there are lower difficulties including story mode.

It's awesome that Owlcats will add in a feature for auto save after the cut scene (so no matter which difficulty, you just need to watch the cut scene once) :D

And even more--now you will get an autosave after a cutscene before the battle. So you won't have to skip/click through it again.

Yep, there are lower difficulties including story mode.

It's awesome that Owlcats will add in a feature for auto save after the cut scene (so no matter which difficulty, you just need to watch the cut scene once) :D
Yep well I'm a lazy gamer as my avatar shows. :lol:

The less clicks I have to do the better.

It just seemed out of place at first to me seeing this in an isometric RPG. I usually see this mostly in RPGs similar to what BioWare develops A.K.A Cinematic RPGs.

So no problem on my end now. Thanks for clarifying.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
We also received feedback that encounters felt repetitive. The Adventure Path is all about fighting demons and cultists.
This was my initial fear when I first learnt about the Adventure Path. Playing the alpha confirmed this fear and it was my main complaint. However I didn't have the impression that this complaint was shared by a majority of the testers. Perhaps @purpleblob; can give an estimation.

We came up with a solution, which will allow us to expand a variety of mobs while keeping the integrity of the story. But we might keep it a secret for some time.
So I'm pleasantly surprised that they're adressing this issue. However I don't think that having a greater variety of mobs solves the problem. They didn't mention that virtually all of the fights against demons and cultists in the alpha take place in or outside of destroyed buildings with an atmosphere of emergency, misery and ruin. So the general theme is repetitive.

Of course you can't expect to have thriving cities or magnificient healthy woods in a game with a general theme like this. That's an inherent problem of the choice od the Adventure Path which I think was wrong decision.
Of course the game can still become great, especially if you have no problem with fighting demons in destroyed buildings.

This was my initial fear when I first learnt about the Adventure Path. Playing the alpha confirmed this fear and it was my main complaint. However I didn't have the impression that this complaint was shared by a majority of the testers. Perhaps @purpleblob; can give an estimation.

Well, it really depends on individual. Some people don't find it repetitive while others do.

So I'm pleasantly surprised that they're adressing this issue. However I don't think that having a greater variety of mobs solves the problem. They didn't mention that virtually all of the fights against demons and cultists in the alpha take place in or outside of destroyed buildings with an atmosphere of emergency, misery and ruin. So the general theme is repetitive.

We've only experienced part of the AP in alpha, which takes place in destroyed city/fortress :p From what I read, we get to travel to other planes etc later on.

Of course you can't expect to have thriving cities or magnificient healthy woods in a game with a general theme like this. That's an inherent problem of the choice od the Adventure Path which I think was wrong decision.
Of course the game can still become great, especially if you have no problem with fighting demons in destroyed buildings.

Personally, I don't have issues with the setting. I do prefer varied environments but that is not a deal breaker for me. But I totally understand your view - since I dislike some settings like steam punk/cyber punk etc. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

We've only experienced part of the AP in alpha, which takes place in destroyed city/fortress :p From what I read, we get to travel to other planes etc later on.
I don't like traveling to other planes. So there's that.
Yep, I'm a whiny brat right now. :rolleyes:
Not a big deal though. They can't make it right for everyone.
I'm still expecting to like and enjoy the game.

I don't like traveling to other planes. So there's that.
Yep, I'm a whiny brat right now. :rolleyes:
Not a big deal though. They can't make it right for everyone.
I'm still expecting to like and enjoy the game.

No one said you are a whiny brat :p

I'm partial to plane travel - some I enjoyed, some I didn't. It's all about implementation imo.

Still waiting on alpha 2. I wish they will implement other 2 mythics (gold dragon and swarm).

Cut-scenes should always be skipable IMO, there might be multiple reasons a player might want to skip them. They've already seen them, they don't care about the story, they have a very limited time to game and don't want to waste time on cutscenes. Etc, etc. Just provide the option. If you make your cut-scenes short & interesting then your players will probably want to watch them, once.

Back
Top Bottom