Diablo - The Story

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Ars Technica let David Brevik tell the story of Diablo:

How One Gameplay Decision Changed Diablo Forever | War Stories | Ars Technica

Today on War Stories, Ars Technica is joined by Diablo lead programmer David Brevik to break down the genesis and development of a PC hack & slash masterpiece. Unbeknownst to some, the original concept for Diablo called for a traditional, turn-based RPG - a genre Brevik came of age with and was heavily influenced by. However, following a fateful vote by show of hands at the Blizzard North offices, Diablo became something new entirely and an initially reluctant David Brevik was on the cusp of creating the first entry in a legendary action role-playing series.
More information.

I personally still don't like the Diablo series and only-loot-matters hack'n'slash games.

The game that inspired over 1,000 clones.:biggrin:

In the past I used to love the genre myself but nowadays I agree. Grim Dawn was the latest game that I played in that genre. Good time waster but that's about it. :)

m5tgdaqq3sf51.png

I'd love to play a turn-based Diablo. That progression from nice natural scenes on the surface and everything getting more gritty and bloody as the hero descended deeper was fantastic!

That god awful combat system was voted for. Yikes.

So if not for a table full of nitwits I might have enjoyed diablo.

Of course they probably wouldn’t of only made 1 and had to close up shop because it didn’t seem but, hey, I’d be happy. :lol:

I really love the first Diablo. It is simplistic in every aspect: world building, story, mechanics - and it works very well together. This is why I find all of the sequels disappointing with poor writing, corny world building and meaningless improvements to the system. Instead of maturing games simply became larger.

Diablo has a story?
LOL

I enjoyed all the Diablo games. I also enjoyed Grim Dawn until the last DLC as it made my play style obsolete.

I wouldn't mind at all if they went to a turn based rpg diablo now though...

Turn-based Diablo dose not compute.:p

Seriously though given the state of gaming right now I wouldn't be surprised if someone eventually did. Look at Baldur's Gate III it's completely different from it's predecessors.

Alas that's not a compliant just an observation giving credence to a TB Diablo.:)

I really love the first Diablo. It is simplistic in every aspect: world building, story, mechanics - and it works very well together. This is why I find all of the sequels disappointing with poor writing, corny world building and meaningless improvements to the system. Instead of maturing games simply became larger.
I loved it as well. Played the demo and was sad I couldn't continue after the Butcher. Someone of my friends got a pirated copy on a CD and we played it to death. I think I played a few hundred hours in total until I got fooled online and a hacker gave all my gear 1 maximum durability... :D

It feels quite clunky today, but it still has something special.

ah diablo 1, the magical game. hell mod is awesome with a lot of restored content.
the story is awesome also, not sure if i dreamed it or its actually there

I loved the atmosphere of the first diablo.
The one thing I never understood is why the hero decided to stab himself in the head with a bright shiny shard when he literally just killed the last person that did that......

I loved the atmosphere of the first diablo.
The one thing I never understood is why the hero decided to stab himself in the head with a bright shiny shard when he literally just killed the last person that did that……

He touched a cursed object. Same gamey logic is present in many games, books and movies. It's the entire plot fuel of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets after all. ;)

I really enjoyed the first two Diablo games. I took one look at the third one and said nope, not for me. I doubt a fourth one will be a return to the prior two, so I'm likely done with new iterations, but I will replay the first two, for sure.

He touched a cursed object. Same gamey logic is present in many games, books and movies. It's the entire plot fuel of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets after all. ;)

Thanks! I always wondered what the gamey reason behind it was.

Pro-tip: If you pull a large crystal shard out of a demons gods brain, probably don't touch it...

Didn't think that needed saying, but hey, we have directions on toothpicks and cotton ear swabs have been banned in places. I suppose we should say this as well.

First Diablo is magical with its story, atmosphere, music, and changing events in every play through. Diablo 2 refined and improved the combat and scale of the game at the expense of repetition and atmosphere. Very happy that Diablo 1 is on GoG.

Back
Top Bottom