Blade Runner Enhanced Edition - Cinematic Update

Yeah I'm struggling to see the difference as well.

I was going to say the same but I looked closer and it's clearly less jittery and the graphics are smoother.

If I play it in the future I'd definitely play the enhanced version. Its easier on my eyes.

I think the old resolution looks a lot better (and more appropriate for the setting). What's the point of 4k if all your textures look like smooth, plastic Playdoh? It makes the game look like something from DoubleFine.

She looks like a plastic Barbie Doll in the enhanced version.:lol:

For me, one of the best adventure games ever. Great story, advanced gameplay mechanics based on clue gathering and analysis. And while I wouldnt mention implementation of action-gameplay and real-time world progression as highlights,
it did not kill the game, which actually is kind of a highlight.

Pre-rendered backgrounds were beautifull and full of atmosphere. Characters, on the other hand, were created with voxels and I consider them as one of biggest weaknesses of the game. I remember myself hating that design at time of release. Today, when re-playing game released on GOG, I dont think its so terrible. Must be influence of adventure games development through last 2 decades ... FMV, early 3D, Telltale low-cost 3D, etc. The list could go on. Anything looks good after that.

Based on this update, I would not invest in the enhanced edition. Just smoothing-out old graphics makes it look worse then original. Didnt buy Day Of The Tentacle for same reason. That beautiful pixel graphics mutilated by some automatic smoothening process. It just takes soul of the game away and gives nothing instead.

They seem to be using an AI upscale to try and "improve" the graphics/video, but the settings seem a bit off - it's tending to lose detail as it tries to clean up pixelation/grain. This means that wrinkles, facial hair and other details are getting lost in the noise reduction, giving an overly "plastic" look which is less apparent in the low-res originals.

Obviously this is a huge challenge, because re-constructing video from such low quality originals is a huge challenge. Plus, the original was purposely grainy to capture the feel of the movie. A very challenging project, for sure, but I can't help feeling that they need to spend a bit more time on the quality slider, and maybe aim for 1080p/30fps rather than 4k/60, with less noise reduction.

Edit - at present this seems to be an inherent side-effect of the video AI process. I re-watched the FF7 AI upscale intro video, and whilst it seems good (arguably better than this), it still loses some of the more subtle detail that existed beneath (or was implied by) the dithers and compression effects of the original video.

Aw man, I thought it was a stereoscopic 3D video!

no-sale-500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom