Stirring Abyss - Released

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Tactical RPG Stirring Abyss has been released on Steam.

Stirring Abyss is out now. Loosely based on Lovecraft's short novel The Temple, Stirring Abyss is the story of a submarine crew which bogs down at the bottom of the Ocean during the Cold War. They are forced to explore the bottom of a sea where unspeakable horrors and tentacled abominations run rampant.

Stirring Abyss releases with a 15% week-long launch discount: check it out and Cthulhu-up your Halloween weekend.

Stirring Abyss comes with 13 Story missions plus side quests, along with a roguelike Endless Mode. The game features 4 difficulty levels, from Narrative mode, for players who are more interested in story and exploration, to Hard, which will test even the most experienced players.

More information.

Never heard of this but it's definitely got an XCom: Terror from the Deep vibe.

10 reviews all positive right now. I'm going to take a chance and pick it up. Game is supposed to be hard - which would also give it a TftD vibe. That is one game I couldn't finish.

Doubt on Turn Based Lovers gave it it's first review here

https://turnbasedlovers.com/review/stirring-abyss-2/

Hmm..I remember reading about this and sharing a few links a year ago, but like most games, I forget about it with all the other games getting announced and released.

Last edited:
The Temple is one of my favourite Lovecraft stories along with Shadows of Innsmouth. The latter is well known and incorporated into most Cthulu games some way or the other. The former has been mostly ignored. I'm happy someone used the story as a game background. I'Ve wishlisted it for now.

Totally missed this but the gameplay trailer has me intrigued - and I'm not even a Lovecraftian fan.

Also, the fact that is has a story mode - some actual progressing narrative - is nice. I'm getting tired of TB rogue-like's that have no story and think dynamically generated levels can replace the interest and tension a story brings.

They had a playable demo for this during the Steam Autumn Festival but it was gone by the time I went to play it. I don't get why they didn't just leave it on their Steam page.

This is sitting in my wishlist now. It looks pretty good. Turn based combat, Lovecraftian theme, story-mode... ticks a lot of boxes.

Played a few hours in. Game is hard but not impossible (playing on normal).

Definitely got that modern retro 90's feel (enhanced?) that you love with games like FTL and Crying Suns. Definitely indie, but definitely playable on modern systems without just being a mobile or console port.

It feels Roguish. Party members can die and you you can only save and exit then continue

But that's deceptive because you can load previous saves by time stamp.

This is part of the small design problems with the game. You can't save and continue, and it feels like you only have one save when you don't.

And Story mode should be called Campaign mode because Story mode doesn't mean no combat.

I've only had one major bug so far and they are aware of it. They are promising a fix this week.

I also don't like some of the controls like no escape button - mouse only in some parts - and selecting portraits will have the paper doll pop up instead of selecting your party member.

Otherwise, having lots of fun. Save and save often for sure. You'll throw your hands up and walk away for an hour if you don't.

Back
Top Bottom