7. Isles of Adalar

6. Crimson Desert

5. Stormrite

4. Fable (Remake)

3. Gothic (Remake)

2. ELEX 2

1. Bleak Faith: Forsaken
More information.

Some of these games will obviously not be big hits due to being small underfunded indie teams, and some of these will be big hits funded by large publishers.

Still doubt more than half of those games will be released next year though.

These are the ones with most of my interest.

Fable (Remake)
Gothic (Remake)
ELEX 2

Nice list. I hope most of those games get released next year. I also eagerly await for bloodlines 2 but i think it doesn't count as an open world rpg. Correct me if i am wrong.

Any news on a follow-up to Kingdom Come??

Last edited:
What about that Obsidian game, thought that was meant to be somewhat open world. Or is that in 2022?

None of those games interest me except ELEX2. Crimson Desert would, for graphics, but think that is an MMO.

2020, while a suck year in general, was good for games for me closer to the end - i.e., BG3, WoTR, Cyberpunk 2077.

Course not looking at open world there are a half-dozen games set to come out in 2021 that I am tracking and plan to buy.

But I have yet to see a really good open world game that is as interactive and open as Skyrim or FO4. Hence why I still play them. The only other open world games I have see are either too low quality for me to be interested in or they are shallow online ones with no single player depth.

I believe Avowed is targeting a 2023 or 2024 release window wolfgrimdark.

The following are just rumors, and haven't been fully confirmed yet.

• Avowed will be "fully open world" and much larger than Skyrim, but not necessarily in total size. The world will be "denser" and "more contrasted"—which presumably means diverse.
  • The main setting will be The Living Lands region of Eora, which is a northern frontier not seen directly in either Pillars of Eternity game.
  • There will be a "big focus" on world reactivity, lighting, and next-gen AI systems.
  • There will be a real-time weather system.
  • Character creation is supposed to be very advanced and detailed.
  • Mod support is planned.
  • The world will have lots of factions, but they won't be similar to Skyrim's factions.
  • You will be able to enlist the help of companions, but it is supposedly very different to how it works in Obsidian's other recent RPG, The Outer Worlds.
  • The game will feature boss battles that happen on a very large scale.
  • Two large cities are being planned, with smaller settlements dotting the map and large areas of wilderness.
  • Creatures and wildlife will be based on Pillars of Eternity lore but will make new additions.
  • "Dynamic presentation of dialogue"—whatever that might mean.
  • Obsidian wants to make it possible to kill anyone in the game, similar to how Morrowind let players terminate the main plot by killing certain key characters.
  • Around 100 people are working on the game currently, and it's been in development for two years with seven months of pre-production.
  • The target release window is late 2022 or early 2023.

The ones I'm surely interested:
  • ELEX 2
  • Gothic (Remake)
  • Isles of Adalar

The ones I'm somewhat interested:
  • Crimson Desert (nice graphics indeed but I share wolfgrimdark's opinion here: only if it doesn't turn out being an MMO)
  • Biomutant

Is there any news about ELEX2, then? Or why is it assumed it is coming in 2021?
None Covid delayed the announcement and release of the game. That was mentioned in one of those official videos but a few members claim it's not official news.

There was a voice actor who also said he was working on the game.

Last edited:
Thanks Couch. I hope Avowed will be single player and companions more in-depth like the ones in FO4 (as an example - as the Skyrim companions were bogus).

If the remake of Fable doesn't have autolevelling, then I'll most likely play it or at least try it out.

I'm looking forward to the Harry Potter game - I've long thought they could potentially do something interesting with that IP if they broke away from the movie story lines. The footage so far looks sharp.

Also Fable 2 and Gothic 2 have my attention. Maybe Biomutant, though the troubled development mentioned in the video is a red flag.

Is the first ELEX game worth checking out? I heard it got mixed reviews. It is on sale all over the place right now, so not a bad time to try.

I see two on that list that might be of interest to me, the rest not so much. I'll keep an eye on reviews and such, because you never know when a game just might surprise you and turn out to be worth playing after all.

Elex 2 is probably my most anticipated game of any genre for the near future. Not too excited about anything else on the list, although Bleak Faith looks like it could be good.

I don't have very high expectations for the Gothic remake, but maybe they'll surprise us.

Is the first ELEX game worth checking out? I heard it got mixed reviews. It is on sale all over the place right now, so not a bad time to try.

I think it's excellent, but I'm also a huge fan of the way Piranha Bytes designs their games. If you played and like their older titles, there's a good chance you'll like Elex.

The first Elex is well worth checking out, and I don't even care much for action-y games. Really, it's well done, you'll have no regrets especially if you can nab it on some sort of sale/special.

Reading about all the Cyberpunk 2077 bugs made me nostalgic for eurojank, and I remembered I had a copy of Risen 3 in my backlog, so I fired it up. The voice acting is physically painful, but nobody does explorable worlds better than Piranha Bytes.

I play plenty of small studio/single creator games, but I'm deeply skeptical about playing an open world RPG without a signficant budget behind it. Quantity without quality (and density) is not a selling point for me.

Reading about all the Cyberpunk 2077 bugs made me nostalgic for eurojank, and I remembered I had a copy of Risen 3 in my backlog, so I fired it up. The voice acting is physically painful, but nobody does explorable worlds better than Piranha Bytes.

I literally just played and finished Risen 3 for the first time. It's certainly a step up from Risen 2 and I think it is worth a play but still just doesn't have the charm of G1/2. The only real downside to Risen 3 is it's length (it's just too long) and the lack of variety of enemies. By the last island I was 2 shoting entire groups with 0 challenge and I couldn't wait for it to be over. I think I would give it a 7/10 though.

Elex 2 and Gothic remake would be the only things in that list that interest me.

Back
Top Bottom