General News - The 10 best RPGs of 2020 @ Game Rant

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Game Rant listed their 2020 RPG top 10:

The 10 Best RPGs of 2020

Role-playing games are one of the most popular genres of the medium, and as with every year before, 2020 delivers some really stellar titles.

Every year features a wealth of new video games to check out, and among those, there are typically a ton of good RPGs. Role-playing games are sometimes hard to determine and boil down, as the genre continues to expand and include a number of new elements. Everything from games with light RPG elements to a classic turn-based approach are always welcome though.

2020 is no different in this regard, with plenty of RPGs taking the fore. Ultimately, though, a few have to come out on top, so here are the best RPGs of 2020. PLEASE NOTE: rather than attempt to put any specific order here, these RPGs are simply listed in alphabetical order.

• Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Demon's Souls
  • Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  • Genshin Impact
  • Ikenfell
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • Wasteland 3
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon
More information.

Same list as ten other sites. Surprised I don't see Hades in the top ten again. Anyway never though a F2P game would make any top ten RPG list, but not surprised.

I had a great deal of fun with EQ2 and replaying some classic games, but yeah I've not played a single title on this list. And they do themselves a huge disservice by having something like an Assassin's Creed title on it. I do know I will eventually get around to picking up Wasteland three at some point.

NVLMOtI.jpg

Because it takes time and Myrthos is busy with the free game giveaway right now.

So patience young grasshopper.:p

Bah I can already guess two maybe three of the winners for our RPGWatch poll.

1. Cyberpunk 2077
  2. Wasteland 3
  3. Assassin Creed Valhalla
  4. Troubleshooter
  5. Genshin Impact
  6. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Don't look at me weirdly as based off past GOTY polls smaller games rarely make the top three, and I just listed some of the probable winners of the top three spots this year

Bah I can already guess two maybe three of the winners for our RPGWatch poll.

1. Cyberpunk 2077
  2. Wasteland 3
  3. Assassin Creed Valhalla
  4. Troubleshooter
  5. Genshin Impact
  6. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Don't look at me weirdly as based off past GOTY polls smaller games rarely make the top three, and I just listed some of the probable winners of the top three spots this year

I look at you weirdly anyways, mostly because of Troubleshooter (??) and Genshin Impact (???).

So here it goes:

o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O

Okay. Still, I'd gladly replace them with Hades and Horizon (if it fits the rules). ;)

Hades maybe but nope for Horizon. As it doesn't qualify due to being an older console release. Now if Hades wins I'm putting more of you guys on my ignore list.

It's not even a good RPG but sure it might be a good non-RPG game.:p

Not to forget:
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
Langrisser I & II
Vestaria Saga I: War of the Scions
Banner of the Maid
The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos
Trials of Mana

Though not really an RPG per se, I have to say how much I have enjoyed Immortals: Fenyx Rising. IMO, it is more fun than the Zelda game it was patterned after.

Somehow, until this thread, I had never heard of Troubleshooter. As someone who likes X-com like tactical games, I'm intrigued...

Not to forget:
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
Langrisser I & II
Vestaria Saga I: War of the Scions
Banner of the Maid
The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos
Trials of Mana
Maybe The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III, but not the rest. If you doubt me look at the last five years we had a vote for GOTY. Popularity wins over enjoyment.

Maybe try the Codex.;)

The RPGWatch community is much more diverse than most of you think:

Here are the most influenced views from the RPGWatch Steam Curator:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon |6 Dec | 1,546
The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos | 27 Sep | 23,361
Wasteland 3 | 30 Aug | 27,306
Dungeon Dreams | 11 Aug | 22,054
Seinarukana -The Spirit of Eternity Sword 2- | 29 Jul | 16,259
Operencia: The Stolen Sun | 31 May | 37,000
TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children | 6 May | 30,418
Trials of Mana | 3 May | 13,810
Forever Home | 13 Apr | 11,295
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III | 6 Apr | 12,045
Langrisser I & II | 18 Mar | 17,913
Banner of the Maid | 12 Mar | 38,229
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth | 23 Feb | 8,602
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception | 23 Feb | 14,826
Vestaria Saga I: War of the Scions | 30 Dec, 2019 | 16,332

As far as voting on this site goes @Couchpotato; is correct. While people viewing your Steam Curator page might be looking at RPGMaker games or JRPGS, those games almost never do well in GOTY voting on this site. I can remember how surprised I was Dragon Quest XI came in 6th place in 2018. Its one of the few times a classical JRPG has broken into the top 10 voting.

As far as voting on this site goes @Couchpotato; is correct. While people viewing your Steam Curator page might be looking at RPGMaker games or JRPGS, those games almost never do well in GOTY voting on this site. I can remember how surprised I was Dragon Quest XI came in 6th place in 2018. Its one of the few times a classical JRPG has broken into the top 10 voting.

We're a little more sophisticated than some sites. ;)

Maybe not so many J-RPGs, but the Watchers voted for many non AAA, indie-games like Underrail, Kenshi, ATOM RPG, Undertale, Underrail, Battle Brothers etc.

Maybe not so many J-RPGs, but the Watchers voted for many non AAA, indie-games like Underrail, Kenshi, ATOM RPG, Undertale, Underrail, Battle Brothers etc.

That's because games like those are vastly superior to most JRPGs.

Hell, Underrail is so good you had to list it twice.

I like that more and more J-RPGs, Zelda-like games, Fire-Emblem clones are coming to the PC. Technical-wise there are often much more stable than current western-releases. And these game-concepts keep things interesting for guys like me, who played nearly every other western RPG-sub-genre in the past.

Back
Top Bottom