General News - A Review of every major CRPG from the last ten Years

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The end of the decade is close, so I repost a nice review about some of the major RPGs of the last 10 years:

A review of every major CRPG from the last ten years

A guide to modern CRPG's. Featuring: reviews, comparisons, definitions, history lessons, award shows, motivational speeches, and more. Wow, what doesn't this video have? (the answer is all the CRPG's that weren't included, /shrug)

Contents:

Thanks NeverKnowsBest!

More information.

Getting the same vibes from his same video from last year. Also it's not every major RPG from the last 10 years in that list. Despite these nitpicks thanks for sharing it again.:)

Last edited:
The title is a bit misleading, it's a list of specifically isometric games. No Witcher 3, no Outer Worlds, etc. Hell, there's not even Skyrim on there.

I loved all of those games. Isometric RPGs are the bestest RPGs. :)

Seriously that looks like a list of my favorite CRPGs from the past decade. He even got Age of Decadence in there! Every single one of those is a winner.

The title is a bit misleading, it's a list of specifically isometric games. No Witcher 3, no Outer Worlds, etc. Hell, there's not even Skyrim on there.
CRPG, not RPG, he explains what he means by that (and what most of us understand by CRPG) at the beginning of his video, you can see where in the "Contents" above :)

He actually cites the games you mention.

Thought of giving it a watch then saw this:
13:18 - Shadowrun Games
Hahahahaahaha

Get lost.

CRPG, not RPG, he explains what he means by that (and what most of us understand by CRPG) at the beginning of his video, you can see where in the "Contents" above :)

He actually cites the games you mention.
No one really cares about the distinction anymore unless your a D&D nerd.:p
CRPG - "Computer" RPG. These were the original PC role playing games. … The term continued to be in use for all pc based rpgs up until the early to mid 2000s, when they started referring to games that stuck to the more traditional elements of the old school games.
It's just RPGs nowadays for the entire genre.

Misleading is an understatement. How do you claim "every major crpg" and only include a very specific type?

No one really cares about the distinction anymore unless your a D&D nerd.:p
That's more or less what NeverKnowsBest says in the video :D

Well, we saw the recent discussions we had with definitions of open-world and RPG, it's not precise and we have different interpretations, I can live with that :)

Perhaps I'm becoming a nerd, or rather getting geekier, but I'll stand by the "classical RPG" definition ;)

Yup, got them all, except Disco Elysium, I'm not sure on that one yet.
Those are a hell of a pile of great games too, I've spent way too much time playing them over the years.

Woke up with a hangover, grabbed my tie from the spinning fan, had a heart attack and died. Best RPG ending ever, and I'd only been playing for 5 minutes! Reminded me of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy text adventure ending where you die at the start if you don't find the aspirin.

Amazing Blackguards 1-2 are nowhere on this list, while SHT nothing T[y]ranny that actually stole a lot from Blackguards is here..

Based on a brief glimpse, this seems like a very limited and rigidly obtuse list.

Well, he explains in video what he considers as being CRPG and that leads to clear conclusion why there are no Witchers, Skyrims, etc. on the list. While I might not agree with him, its his rules and his list.

Isometric, party based cRPGs are my own preferred genre and it seems it, in large part, intersects with his classification of CRPGs. As for the games he covered, I could agree with large chunk of his conclusion.

Here's some guru advice to blow your mind.:p

Why do humans have to label everything?

Kid you not so many genres, sub-genres, and lets not forgot other aspects of life.:thinking:

Here's some guru advice to blow your mind.:p

Why do humans have to label everything?

Kid you not so many genres, sub-genres, and lets not forgot other aspects of life.:thinking:
Because having a conversation would then be impossible. If you don't label things you'd need to redefine things before the start of every conversation.

A bit like a contract having a definitions section.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom