General News - RPG of the Year 2020 @ Wccftech

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Wccftech's RPGs of the Year 2020:

Wccftech's Best RPG's of 2020 - Action-Packed And Brand New

This year's spread of role-playing games runs a pretty interesting range compared to years before. With the launch of new PlayStation and Xbox consoles, there are some new titles to experience right alongside remakes and sequels alike. Very few RPGs have been released exclusive to the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S|X, so these particular platforms will see the least amount of entries for this year alone (Demon's Souls for PlayStation 5 being the sole entry on this list). It's otherwise been a solid year for telling engaging stories across a wide variety of role-playing mediums.

Best RPGs:

Hades (10)
Demon's Souls (9.5)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (9.3)
Wasteland 3 (9.0)
Cyberpunk 2077
Nioh 2 (9.6)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (9.1)

[...]

Honorable Mentions:
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Mortal Shell
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
Immortals: Fenyx Rising
Persona 5 Royal
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
More information.

There are some seriously awesome titles on here. Good list!

Bah just another bad year for RPGs. Glad its over 2021 looks to better at least.

Pardon me for saying this, but I hated the FF7 Remake. Sure, good visual design, great voice actors, fun to see classic scenes played out on modern tech... but, unlike seemingly everyone else, I *hated* the combat. While some people can overlook the arbiters of fate and the ending, they ruined the rest of the game for me. Completely and utterly. To the point that I seriously wish it had not been made, and SE stuck to their "the PS4 remaster is what you've all been waiting for!" announcement from way back when. I get it - many people hated the arbiters and the endings, but block them out and hope for better. I can't do that.

Persona 5 Royal and Wasteland 3 really stuck out for me. :aww: And I think that despite the glue and scotch tape, Cyberpunk 2077 will end up redefining what we expect from RPGs in the years to come. I know it was a flimsy mess at launch (and still is, let's be honest) but it really raised the bar in a lot of ways. It's huge.

From the list Wasteland 3, Cyberpunk 2077, and Yakuza: Like a Dragon were my favorite this year. They will probably be my three picks on this sites GOTY 2020 poll also.

Honorable mention for Assassin's Creed Valhalla as well.

It's love-hate case with Valhalla on my side.

I'd never vote for it because microtransactions, but the fact is even without them Ubisoft dropped the ball and the game is not on par with it's two predecessors. It's not all bad though - it's still better than the most overrated Ubisoft trash: AC4.

Anyway, of all wccftech titles I can understand why each of them is there, except for WL3.

We get it Joxer and for the hundredth time already Wasteland 3 is not an MMO.:p

Is Hades actually an RPG? I thought it was just some roguelite game?

Also Nioh 2 an RPG? I thought it's just more action game.

Is Hades actually an RPG? I thought it was just some roguelite game?
Most of the internet and every award list seems to think so. For me no.

GB Feature: Hades Review - Gamebanshee
If we consider Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre as the video game equivalent of Edgar Wright's Cornetto trilogy, where three decidedly standalone projects by the same creators can be seen as sharing certain stylistic and thematic elements, then Hades would be the end goal of such a long-term endeavor that refines various elements of its predecessors before combining them into one ultimate package.

You take Bastion's fast-paced combat, Transistor's modular character-building system, Pyre's incremental storytelling, and add a coating of Greek mythology on top of it all, and you end up with Hades - an action-RPG you'll have to try very hard not to enjoy.
Anyway I'm biassed as I dislike the developer's past games as well.

Most of the internet and every award list seems to think so. For me no.

GB Feature: Hades Review - GamebansheeAnyway I'm biassed as I dislike the developer's past games as well.

I was lukewarm to mixed on most of Supergiant Games stuff so far, but just grabbed Hades for Switch on a big enough sale that it can wait until Trails of Cold Steel III is done in a month or two :D

It falls into that category that a lot of games do these days: action adventure games with RPG elements like abilities to learn as you level up and a signficant focus on collecting and changing up your gear.
Yeah with developers using more RPG elements the genre just doesn't make sense anymore. Basically you just add stats, experience points, and bingo it's an RPG.

I still laugh every-time I read The Division 1&2 is a an RPG.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom