Saviors of Sapphire Wings - Review @ Noisy Pixel

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Noisy Pixel checked out Saviors of Sapphire Wings / Stranger of Sword City Revisited - this dungeon crawler bundle has been released today:

Saviors of Sapphire Wings/Stranger of Sword City Revisited Review - Dungeon RPG Masterclass

Dungeon RPGs are an intimidating foray, but developer Experience has bundled two of their best into one package for those willing to step into a textbook example of this subgenre. In a market where there is no shortage of significant JRPG releases, Saviors of Sapphire Wings and Stranger of Sword City Revisited is a welcoming package of something entirely different, given that you're not going to find a no-nonsense dungeon crawling grind anywhere else right now.

Let's begin with Stranger of Sword Revisited; this is an enhanced version that was initially localized for PS Vita and, still to the surprise of many, initially released for Xbox 360 and Xbox One in Japan. Of interest is Saviors of Sapphire Wings, which was released for Xbox 360 in Japan under the name Students of Round; it would be remastered under its current name and guise for PS Vita before finally making its way to a worldwide audience on Switch and PC.

[...]

Saviors of Sapphire Wings is a great introduction to the DRPG genre and games from this developer. It's worth playing for the base game alone for its enhanced features and engaging narrative, but genre veterans might prefer the challenge and freedom of Stranger of Sword City Revisited. Sure, these games are an output of modest production values and can be quite the grind. Still, the stylistic presentation and satisfying challenge go a long way to reel players into what is generally an acquired niche. Irrespective of your preference for RPGs, this is a welcome compilation among the big JRPG releases of 2021.

Score: 8/10
More information.

Picked this up today and haven't played it yet but looking forward to it. I usually dig this style of game a lot, and there aren't tons of them out there... though it does seem like the "grid blobber" has been making a comeback.

Stranger of Sword City was excellent. I always intended to replay that at some point, and have yet to do so. I had no idea there were other entries in the series, so I'll likely at least see what others have to say about this Sapphire Wings game.

Back
Top Bottom