General News - Jedi: Fallen Order - Review

You can see veterans working on the particle effects and how the lightsaber leaves wounds. Pretty elaborate effects-work everywhere. Art direction is excellent too. At 10:55 in the video there is a visually excellent, grid based part, which I would like to see refactored into a turn-based mode / Star Wars chess.

Fallen Order was the best Star Wars game I've played in a long time. Good level design and puzzles, and the combat was solid. It was a nice surprise for sure.

This is one of my top 5 games ever (going back to 1981 Wizardry 1), and I am glad that it was such a success so that hopefully more similar-type story-driven single-player games will be made going forward.

It's tempting, my first impression was an action-focused game and there was a mention of "soul-like" that made me dismiss it instantly, but from the reactions here and what the reviewer said there's a good story and other things than mindless combat :)

Yes, those graphics are gorgeous too!

It's currently -50% on Steam, but I see it's on the Origin… (yeah, I'm picky), I'll wait a bit to see if it spawns on GOG but it seems unlikely.

Does this game feature some RPG-like character building, gear and loot?

It's an action-adventure with metroidvania style level design. It does have a skill tree, but that's about it as far as RPG features.

It also has some souls-like features, but it's not as punishing as most souls games, and there are multiple difficulties to choose from.

I can't get over how ugly some characters look really in this game. :(

Would love to see more Star wars game in this vein - and more single player games that take some cues from this - especially around a designing a game that isn't too long and presents a good narrative arc. More and more, I find myself appreciating shorter games.

Nah I'd love to see more SP Star Wars RPGs but hey that's a pipe dream. Still with EA finally losing exclusivity on the IP and the news of the KoToR remake I have hope finally.

Star Wars games along the lines of KoToR I'd love to see, the action-y ones not so much. I can never get too many science fiction rpg's, especially these days.

It's tempting, my first impression was an action-focused game and there was a mention of "soul-like" that made me dismiss it instantly, but from the reactions here and what the reviewer said there's a good story and other things than mindless combat :)

Yes, those graphics are gorgeous too!

It's currently -50% on Steam, but I see it's on the Origin… (yeah, I'm picky), I'll wait a bit to see if it spawns on GOG but it seems unlikely.

Combat is action-based like many other role-playing-type games such as Assassin's Creed Valhalla or Deus Ex Human Revolution (though there is no stealth in Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order), but combat is not the only gameplay so it's not just a combat game.

I didn't enjoy when I tried to play Dark Souls 1 for a few hours so I can't compare the two, but probably the action combat is similar.

There is a huge amount of story in Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order and I feel that at every moment the things I am doing fit the story. And it's a very well-written story.

I am a huge fan of this game, one of the best of all times.

I liked it at first but quit after about 20h. The Metroid level design (revisit old areas with new powers/items to get to previously unaccessable areas) paired with constant backtracking to your ship and endless respawn got annoying real fast.
Loot in this game is worthless most of the time. Imagine going back to an early level with a new power, fighting your way to the (previously inaccessable) treasure and be rewared with... a pink texture for your poncho. And to add insult to injury you now have to backtrack to your ship for the next half hour.

I liked it at first but quit after about 20h. The Metroid level design (revisit old areas with new powers/items to get to previously unaccessable areas) paired with constant backtracking to your ship and endless respawn got annoying real fast.
Loot in this game is worthless most of the time. Imagine going back to an early level with a new power, fighting your way to the (previously inaccessable) treasure and be rewared with… a pink texture for your poncho. And to add insult to injury you now have to backtrack to your ship for the next half hour.

New powers open up areas to progress the plot. I can't recall a new area becoming accessible for the sole purpose of finding loot. The loot was usually located somewhere near the path on your way to the next plot objective.

I do agree that the loot sucked though. Fortunately, it's just there as a bonus and isn't integral to the experience.

So that's what metroid-levels means! I never played a Metroid game so I had no idea.

You shouldn't have had to spend much timing going back to your ship, though. They always provided a bunch of spots where you could pop back to your ship quickly: a barred door you could open once you progressed to it, for instance, providing a shortcut to the ship and back to where you were. I missed one of those once and had to run through a level a second time but only once.

Loot in this game is worthless most of the time.
That's true. Once you find a decent look for your ship and a poncho color you like (probably NOT the bubble-gum pink one), you're pretty much done. There's health boosts but all the rest is just more cosmetics.

Back
Top Bottom