Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Dev Diary #2 Camera Action

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Dev Diary #2 for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous shows off the camera.

Look around! You already know that in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous you will be able to rotate the camera, and no chest will go unseen! We present you with a dev diary about how our team was working on this new feature, and the challenges they faced in the process.
Thanks purpleblob!

More information.

They also make use of this new feature in cutscenes, so you'll see that they've improved over the basic camera panning or static scenes.

Timofey says Kingmaker didn't always have hidden sides, but I never found a gap when using the camera rotation mod, they already did a pretty good job. But we knew there were not going to be any loot on those sides if it was hidden by a wall ;) ... now the camera must be used to look in those dark little corners (there's still the item highlight key, so no stress).

I miss a top-down view in some combat situations, or to see and access objects when there is a lot of stuff around. Atom RPG does that pretty well, or D:OS. Maybe worth suggesting.

I didn't get to talk about the rotating camera in my WotR preview because I was focusing on a number of other new features which I thought were more important. I didn't want to make the preview too long and wanted to save some details for the review I will work on after the game is released ;)

While I like engine improvements in general, I dont consider this concrete feature as very important for my enjoyment of the game. I hope they learned their lesson and improvements on the visual side will not create workload they wouldnt be able to handle properly. Really hope we are getting nice and clean game on release.

I agree with @Andrew23;. The earlier approach was completely understandable for a small studio. Their previous game was huge and hugely buggy at launch. I hope they'll take their time in fixing the game this time around and won't waste time on fanciness. Their receipe is good enough to make great games as it was with Kingmaker.

The drawback of a rotatable camera is that you waste a lot of game time just rotating the camera. It's not necessarily a good thing.

I never once felt like I needed to rotate the camera in Kingmaker, but to be fair, I've also yet to play very far into it. I'm surprised that some people felt like it was needed though.

With some exceptions (i.e. Divinity: OS), I rarely like to use camera rotation in isometric games.

A little disappointed with rather negative reception of the camera. Imo the rotating camera adds to exploration and cinametics (which subsequently add to storytelling).

All these little things improves the game. I certainly don't want to play games with barebone features all the time.

Besides, this isn't the only thing Owlcats added - there are far more improvements and new features in WotR.

Not really a big deal to me as the old way worked fine as it was. Also don't forget modders did this already with Kingmaker. Sounds like how Bethesda steals mods.

It's the same with TB combat modders did it first with Kingmaker they copied it.:p

Not really a big deal to me as the old way worked fine as it was. Also don't forget modders did this already with Kingmaker. Sounds like how Bethesda steals mods.

It's the same with TB combat modders did it first with Kingmaker they copied it.:p

Finding it funny how some complain that it took modders to do work first while others say don't waste time with unnecessary features. Guess you can't please everyone :)

Funny enough I don't care about this game as much as KingMaker so negativity doesn't bother me. I'm more interested in the ScFi game they will announce later this year.:cool:

I'm not really seeing negativity here, just indifference. I know it's hard to be objective when you're a big fan of something, but there's no reason to feel offended when others aren't as excited or positive about a certain feature.

I didn't feel the camera was ever an issue in the game, then again I never did get back to finishing it. I was one of those that aborted when this first released, the bugs just overwhelmed me, and I need to get back to it!!

I'm not really seeing negativity here, just indifference. I know it's hard to be objective when you're a big fan of something, but there's no reason to feel offended when others aren't as excited or positive about a certain feature.

This. I think people commenting on the necessity of this feature were thinking that resources are limited and such a feature appears a lot of work. If they have enough resources and the implementation does not influence the quality of the v1 in a form of many more bugs than without the feature, then I am sure no-one feels negative about it. Perhaps it would be better to describe us "reserved" ;)

To be honest, I feel the same way as purpleblob.

If people obviously enjoy features like this, it's not really fun to see a load of posts saying it's worthless and a waste of time. What's even the point of posting that? :S

Anyway, this makes me hesitate more and more before posting or sending any bit of news, it looks like so much is unwelcome recently.

Anyway, this makes me hesitate more and more before posting or sending any bit of news, it looks like so much is unwelcome recently.

Now you're being too sensitive. I see common critical discussion above. No personal insults or anything. Being critical is not equal to being negative. Sharing news is appreciated. That's why we are following this site ;)

I see just polite discussion, reasonable arguments, opinions from different view angles. Coincidentally, I believe Im one of biggest fans of Kingamker and Owlcat on the site but I really dont get whats the problem this time.

It's not just this thread. And I never said there were insults and personal attacks here ;) Well, I suppose I was not clear in my post, in any case I don't feel like pointing and quoting.

A rotating camera wouldn't be on the top of my feature request list. But definitely higher up than crafting. ;)

And come on guys... no matter if you don't like a feature that someone else likes or like a feature that someone else doesn't like, just keep it positive and show some empathy. There's enough negativity out there. We don't need it in a geeky forum of our common hobby.

Fingers crossed it was simple to implement. The return on investment doesn't seem to be there for me. It's one of those things that maybe you spend time on of everything else is good and you have extra resources. The beta looks good so no complaints so far.

Back
Top Bottom