CRPG Book Project - Interview @ Gamehistory

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamehistory interviewed Felipe Pepe about the CRPG Book Project:

Ep. 34: The CRPG Book

Felipe Pepe is here to showcase his collaborative, non-profit project to create a historical guide to computer role playing games: The CRPG Book: A Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games. What CRPG's around the world are cool, interesting, historically important, popular, meaningful, and why are they so? Each entry highlights a game's eccentricities, context of the time to better understand it, and the straightforward reasons why you should play it (though, there are plenty of games they recommend you don't play). What started as a six month, 72 item project quickly became a four year, 400 item effort, but only due to overwhelming participation from the community. While the PDF version is completely free for download, all profits from hardcover sales benefit an educational charity in Brazil.
More information.

As if on cue, we were just discussing that this week :)

He's apparently still interested in reviews, if I understood correctly, but which ones or for what purpose wasn't clear (he's talking about a reprint?), I had to skip some parts so I must have missed that. The Excel I linked recently hasn't been updated in a very long time so it's unlikely to be relevant anymore.

It was a really nice project, and the result is very good. I have a printed version of the book and enjoyed it a lot!

At the end of the interview Felipe told Gamehistory hat he wants to include more non-English RPGs that got less attention in the western world in the past (from China, France, Russia, South Korea …).

Maybe I have to look back at some very old German only CRPGs for him :)

Very popular in Germany was the "German Bard's Tale" called Legend of Faerghail on the Amiga and Atari ST. An English version exists, but I think it was not very popular world-wide.

Nice music:

Incredible coffee table book! If there ever is a book 2, I will definitely buy it.

Problem with the book is, that like every 2-3 pages I get urge to play the game Im reading about. Which means I never read more then few pages at once :)

Back
Top Bottom