Non-RPG General News - Old World Release Date: July 1

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted the upcoming release of the strategy game Old World on the Epic Games Store:

Old World Release Date Trailer

Mohawk Games presents Old World, a new 4X strategy game from Soren Johnson, the lead designer of Civilization IV and Offworld Trading Company. It will launch July 1st, 2021 on the Epic Games Store.

More information.

A Humankind vs Old World comparison would be interesting/useful as they near their respective releases.
Well Humankind is published by Sega so I predict a ton of $1-15 dollar DLC.:lol:

I've been playing civ4 recently. Still holds up and always fun to conquer the world.
Civ 4 was the last good game in the series. Soren Johnson also worked on the fifth game but left over disagreements with the direction of the game. Old forum posts still exits.

His fantasy based mods are also very good .

Well Humankind is published by Sega so I predict a ton of $1-15 dollar DLC.:lol:

Don't know about Sega, but Amplitude has always released quite a few DLC for the games I've played from them (Endless Legend, Endless Space 2) and they're generally worth the money. They also tend to release quite a few free content add-ons.

Well Sega is well known for DLC miking it's strategy games so they are a match. They even made people buy blood DLC to avoid the dreaded M rating for better sales.

Do yourself a favor and check out the TotalWar and Company of Heroes games.

Looks like Civilization meets Expeditions. Interesting that it's being released in 3 weeks. I've never heard of it until now.

If I remember it was one of the first batch of crowdfunded Early Access games in 2013. Development was stalled due to medical problems with minimal PR at that point.

I think you have gotten two things confused here:

a) "At the Gates", a Roman-era TBS by Jon Shafer, lead designer of Civ V.
-> kickstarted 2013, released after many woes in 2013

b) "Old World", a Roman-era TBS by Soren Johnson, lead designer of Civ IV.
-> announced as a EGS exclusive last year (https://www.mohawkgames.com/2020/04/14/old-world-first-post/)

Yeah, I got them confused myself, even got mad that they'd do a Phoenix Point there. ;)

I think you have gotten two things confused here:

a) "At the Gates", a Roman-era TBS by Jon Shafer, lead designer of Civ V.
-> kickstarted 2013, released after many woes in 2013

b) "Old World", a Roman-era TBS by Soren Johnson, lead designer of Civ IV.
-> announced as a EGS exclusive last year (https://www.mohawkgames.com/2020/04/14/old-world-first-post/)

Yeah, I got them confused myself, even got mad that they'd do a Phoenix Point there. ;)
Damn me your correct. Alright I'm going senile.

(Lack of sleep doesn't help either)

Not the first time also. To many similar games.

Posts removed as it was for a different game.:lol:

I like Civ 5/6 just fine (2k+ hours in each) but tastes vary. I think I played more FFH2 than Civ IV while still playing megatons of Civ IV as well.

I enjoyed Old World at first, even wrote a guide for it, but it got old for me quick because a lot of it is repetitive. So old that it's been months. Maybe I'll check out full release if I have time.

Old World is decent but it doesn't come remotely close in oomph factors as Civ, just like no other pretender. /shrug Same with XCOM. Dunno why people can't grasp the concepts Firaxis puts forth without screwing them up.

Old World is decent but it doesn't come remotely close in oomph factors as Civ, just like no other pretender. /shrug Same with XCOM. Dunno why people can't grasp the concepts Firaxis puts forth without screwing them up.

Personally, I gave up with the Civ games a couple of decades ago :p I just dislike games that try to replicate two-three thousand years of human evolution in a campaign. It's always silly to see Tank vs hoplite battles. As if neighbouring civilisations wouldn't always import technologies from other nations. I prefer games that a more focused on a specific period / setting. I assume you have been playing the early version of Old Word. I wonder, what's the problem with this game exactly?

Looks like Civilization meets Expeditions. Interesting that it's being released in 3 weeks. I've never heard of it until now.

It quietly released on EA last May on Epic. I put about 30 or 40 hours into it last year but then decided to wait for full release, so haven't played it for the last 6 or 7 months or so.

Anyway, liked what I saw. It is more of a classic TB 4x meets a grand strategy game in terms of adding personalities, relationships and lineages. It also had some other interesting mechanics like having a set number of "orders" each turn to use however you wanted, but this pool meant you couldn't necessarily do everything you wanted each turn.

From my perspective, this is the more interesting game compared to Humankind (which felt much more like Civ). It feels like they are trying to bring some fresh ideas to the 4x table.

Production quality isn't AAA (they're a small team) but it is still decent. I would recommend 4x lovers check it out.

Personally, I gave up with the Civ games a couple of decades ago :p I just dislike games that try to replicate two-three thousand years of human evolution in a campaign. It's always silly to see Tank vs hoplite battles. As if neighbouring civilisations wouldn't always import technologies from other nations. I prefer games that a more focused on a specific period / setting. I assume you have been playing the early version of Old Word. I wonder, what's the problem with this game exactly?

With old world, it seems to avoid the hoplite vs. battleship trap by focusing on the Old World.

Back
Top Bottom