HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Mortismal Gaming picked his top 5:

Top 5 Upcoming CRPGs Of 2021 & Beyond

Thanks Redglyph!

Spoiler! the games are, from #5 to #1: Dark Envoy, Colony Ship, Gamedec, Encased and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

More information.

Good list.
prioritized:

1, Wrath of the Righteous
2, Colony ship (owned)
3, Encased
4, Dark Envoy
5, Gamedec

I'd definitely eject Gamedec and replace it by Trudograd on my list. And if that's "beyond", Dark Envoy would be replaced by Black Geyser, or maybe Urban Strife since it's more likely to come first. Keeping the same positions :)

There's a whole lot more then five. At least BG 3 wasn't mentioned.:p

That game will probably stay on Early Access for two more years.

Still E3 is live right now and some new RPG's have been announced. Bethesda will take stage on the 15th. Hopefully Obsidian will showcase more Avowed footage as well.

Judging from beta impressions, pathfinder is going to be a steaming train wreak on release, polished version possibly late 2022

That's a good, solid top five pick, hard to argue with those. We've not much to complain about these days with such a shower of good choices.

Only interested in pathfinder 2. The rest sounds overhyped.

Judging from beta impressions, pathfinder is going to be a steaming train wreak on release, polished version possibly late 2022
Wouldn't doubt it though many claim there should be less bugs this time. My opinion is expect at least thirty hot-fix patches and more the following year once again.
Only interested in pathfinder 2. The rest sounds overhyped.
I've seen more coverage/hype for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous then the others.

I wouldn't venture any prognosis on WotR at this point. The 2nd beta had many bugs, it was actually surprising when we realized that. But we learned why later, and since then they've been working steadily to fix bugs.

It doesn't look impossible to release it in good state. But there's the unknown of the part not included in the beta, so even playing it doesn't give enough information for any kind of educated guess. Saying it will be fine end of 2022 based on a few forum posts seems ludicrous to me though.

I'm not sure about Dark Envoy and Gamedec, but will check them out incase they are better than they look. The top three seem solid candidates, provided they release in a more or less polished state.

I wouldn't venture any prognosis on WotR at this point. The 2nd beta had many bugs, it was actually surprising when we realized that. But we learned why later, and since then they've been working steadily to fix bugs.

It doesn't look impossible to release it in good state. But there's the unknown of the part not included in the beta, so even playing it doesn't give enough information for any kind of educated guess. Saying it will be fine end of 2022 based on a few forum posts seems ludicrous to me though.
Don't forget the game wont be complete till two or more years after it's release. So no he's not lying given how DLC and the various patches work hand in hand nowadays.

Seriously calling a game finished on release is an Oxymoron nowadays.

Don't forget the game wont be complete till two or more years after it's release. So no he's not lying given how DLC and the various patches work hand in hand nowadays.

Seriously calling a game finished on release is an Oxymoron nowadays.
It depends what you call "complete". If you mean an Enhanced Plus or Definitive and so on, which puts some fire back under the pot by adding DLC and other niceties, anything is possible from 1 month to 2 years. But just a polished version of the original game is something else, it should be reasonably quick unless it's a disaster.

There's also a difference between the inevitable release bugs - there I completely agree with you, and calling that a train wreck. Kingmaker was on the side of the latter on release, that's probably why people like to say it'll happen again after looking into they crystal ball.

Yeah, it's strange that we are used to bugged products on release. I remember how my father was surprised, almost panicked, to find a bug in Windows (it was long ago, not sure of the version anymore, but it must have been an old one). To the previous generations, that must be completely strange as a concept. Not that everything was perfect, but it was either bad or good, not bad and patched only where there are enough people complaining about problems.

I've played the demo for Gamedec, and, while it seems like a solid title, it felt more like an adventure game than an RPG to me.

Dark Envoy seems like a strange inclusion. There's no release date yet. I'd think something like BG III would have made more sense, but I guess it's his personal list.

@Redglyph

Kingmaker was a train-wreck and plays a part why buyers predict Wrath of the Righteous will be the same. Is it fair probably not but a leopard never changes it's spots.

Last edited:
Nod, as someone who kicked in for Kingmaker and attempted to play it the first week of release, it was an absolute insult to players at the time. Over three years later, when I picked it back up, they were STILL making changes to the base game, and how it functioned. This completely informed my playing habits at that time, and continues to this very day. It's a fine game now, yet I still have those first week blues that linger years after the fact.

I also thinks games are a lot more complex these days then in the past which might increase the chance of bugs. A guess though since I don't know for sure. They just seem to more involved.

I finished the beta for WOTR and it has definite bugs but I was still able to finish it. Same for Kingmaker which I got on release day and was able to finish it three times in a row.

Games do come with more bugs though - that seems obvious. I don't really know why though. Another thought is financial. They cost more to make these days and so there is more pressure to publish it maybe, even with bugs. Being more complex they take longer to make.

Ah well I have 200 hours of fun with WOTR already and 178 with BG3 so already got my money's worth on both those games even as early access.

Gamedec is on my wish list and curious to see how that will come out. Encased and Dark Envoy I am watching. Same for Colony Ship.

It's a pretty good list.

My list would remove Gamedec and Colony Ship. Gamedec doesn't look that interesting to me and I don't like the idea of a virtual world in a rpg. Colony Ship has sharp and good isometric graphics, but I don't like games that are designed with high difficulty as a focus, and that is the philosophy of the developer behind it.

I would put Forsaken Realms: Exodus Rising as probably my most anticipated at this point. (but with "Encased" very close and competitive for the top spot)

I really like the various video updates that the developer has done and the graphics and atmosphere look excellent, especially the fantasy world design. If you can get a high class, believable fantasy world accomplished in a rpg then that goes a long way in terms of game appeal, and Forsaken Realms seems to have that well in hand.

Encased is a game I have been investigating lately, and I think it does look very promising. I also like the science fiction setting and the world looks interesting and highly detailed, as an isometric rpg should be. But it may not be fully ready to be released by the fall of this year, so one to keep an eye on until fully polished and patched up. That said, it does look like they have the basics of a classical style isometric rpg down pat and it looks very good to me.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous -- I join the anticipation of many here for this one. I have been playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker lately, and its a very fine game, probably the closest to a Baldur's Gate style rpg that has come out since. I definitely am looking forward to what they do next in the sequel, and I think the concept of being an Angel/Demon/Undead Lich as three of the main character background choices is intriguing for sure.

Dark Envoy does look interesting, with a great dark fantasy/science fiction art style. That said, it does appear to be more of a hack and slash style action rpg, although a very pretty and interesting mixture of styles as already noted. But because of the action rpg type focus, it goes into the lower number 4 spot on my list.

I would add Fallout: Miami to round out my list. I recently returned to playing Fallout 3, and very much enjoying it, and that gives me more anticipation for this game with an intriguing Miami as a different and novel city and setting in the Fallout Universe.

Ha! I've already wishlisted 4 from those 5 games in the video. The only one I haven't is precisely Mortismal's favorite. :)

Back
Top Bottom