General News - Reward for NOT Levelling up

nice, so that's how you can take advantage of oblivion's scaling system

This is just rewarding Meta-knowledge if anything not sure if it's not levelign up.

And one could argue at least for me i don't see cheeseing the game as rewarding at all. if anything i see it as ruining the game for me... but to each his own i guess.

I'd have to say that's completely different than how I play games, as leveling up is king to me. Then again, different strokes for different folks and all, tis what makes the world go round and round!

That was funny, clever, and instructive. The Oblivion technique was slick. I have to possibly try that one out.

For some of these games this is a fun, tricky way to play them. But for others, like Oblivion, this is only a proof for bad design. The level-scaling was the reason, why I stopped playing it after half a day. And I wanted to love it, because I love Morrowind. Morrowind also has level scaling but somehow I never found it annoying there.

I thought everyone knew the oblivion one.

The other thing in Oblivion is that you should try for is this https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Efficient_Leveling
My memory is vague, but I believe, that page is the one for the right leveling if you want to level as fast and efficient as possible. If you want to avoid that, you have to do basically the opposite of what is described their. Something along the lines: Choose the skills, which are important for you only as secondary skills. Choose unimportant skills as primary ones. And then train you secondary skills by using them. Or something like that. You could also do that in Morrowind but I never cared, because I like to play a game, not a spreadsheet. So playing it naturally instead of gaming the game is what I always do. This worked in Morrowind, but not in Oblivion (for me, of course, as these things are subjective).

My memory is vague, but I believe, that page is the one for the right leveling if you want to level as fast and efficient as possible. If you want to avoid that, you have to do basically the opposite of what is described their. Something along the lines: Choose the skills, which are important for you only as secondary skills. Choose unimportant skills as primary ones. And then train you secondary skills by using them. Or something like that. You could also do that in Morrowind but I never cared, because I like to play a game, not a spreadsheet. So playing it naturally instead of gaming the game is what I always do. This worked in Morrowind, but not in Oblivion (for me, of course, as these things are subjective).

Pretty much, and by that Oblivion has the worst character system I know of. It's not just unintuitive but counter-intuitive because the thing you thought would be best, is actually the worst you can do.

But to go a bit more in detail:
In Oblivion when it asks you to pick the primary skills, you should do the opposite: So don't pick the ones you would use most, but pick the ones you use least.

Using these skills would cause a level up, and you wont want that.

Why you wont want that?
Because of two reasons:
1. You need to increase attributes first.
2. Enemies scale. And if you dont increase your attributes accordingly they might gain more strength by scaling then you do by leveling up.

So what you do, is picking the skills you don't use. If you a are a mage, pick swordfight or something like that and vice versa.

Now you play. By playing you gain attribute gains. You have to note them down. Yes, use a piece of paper or put it into notepad.
You can gain X attribute gains between each level up.
Only after you got all of them you are supposed to increase your level.
So when you got all attributes, now it's time for your primary skills to be used.

So use them to actually get your level up.

Now you got your level up and gained all the attribute points you could, and actually become stronger than your enemies do when they scale.

So Oblivions system requires you to:
-Do the thing which is the opposite of what is intuitively right
-Manually take notes

So Oblivions system requires you to:
-Do the thing which is the opposite of what is intuitively right
-Manually take notes

-Use the correct mods because the game is pretty much garbage without them

You forgot the most important one. ;)

If Oblivion works the same way Morrowind does, that's overly convoluted. In Morrowind I would just wait to level until I had accrued enough attribute gains to be worth it. You have complete control over when you level.

Oh wow, a Whatculture that doesn't mention Mario or Link!

The Last Remnant would be on this list, too, if other folks remembered it.

Back
Top Bottom