Might & Magic X - Server Shutdown Leaves DLC Inaccessible

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer reports that Might & Magic X has its sole DLC unplayable since the Ubisoft servers went offline June 1st.

Numerous players of 2014 RPG Might & Magic X - Legacy are reporting that parts of the game from its sole DLC, The Falcon & The Unicorn, are no longer accessible following the shutdown of servers used to check DLC ownership. After the server shut down on June 1st, players who own the DLC reported that not only were they unable to access the DLC areas, they were unable to play the game past Act I if it was installed.

The Falcon & The Unicorn DLC is still on sale, on Steam at least, for $6.99.

[...]
More information.

This was on my "go back to list". I got as far as the end of Chap 1 before stopping, now I have to hack the game to continue :furious:

Simple solution just pirate it or use one of the cracks to bypass the online check.:biggrin:

Good old Ubisoft fucking their customers again! And yet people keep buying from them. It's been what 10 years since Uplay came online so if you haven't figured out by now that Ubisoft loves to fuck over their customers then it serves you right for buying from them.

MMX was my intro to the series, and the combat system is absolutely great.

The game and its creators really deserved better.

Might & Magix X is a good game - it was not successful enough for Ubisoft to continue the series. Some more RPG fans should have bought it.

I like this game and played it at least four times.

When you look at the technical details for the workarounds for the online-checks, it should be an easy thing for them to integrate them into a patch so people can play them without these restrictions. I hope they do that, otherwise they will do severe damage to Ubisofts image (if it can even get worse).

Or some people make a community patch.

I will surely replay it one day anyways.

I loved this game, borrowed a mate's laptop some years ago back when I lived in Canada to play it. At some point I actually bought the game, yet now it seems unlikely I'll ever replay it, unless they free themselves of the ubijunk shackles. This game truly deserves a much better end than this.

I didn't really need another reason, but this is a good reason why I still buy physical games whenever possible... and yes I understand I'm still not 100% protected from this kind of thing even with a physical game but at least I still hold a physical disc.

I hope this was just an oversight on their part and that Ubisoft will patch the game to remove the DRM. Otherwise, it's a big "F U" to anyone who bought the game (and especially the DLC.)

The fact that Ubisoft is still selling both the game and the DLC would seem to indicate that the decision makers didn't realize that shutting the servers down would break the game?

I hope this was just an oversight on their part and that Ubisoft will patch the game to remove the DRM. Otherwise, it's a big "F U" to anyone who bought the game (and especially the DLC.)

The fact that Ubisoft is still selling both the game and the DLC would seem to indicate that the decision makers didn't realize that shutting the servers down would break the game?
I certainly hope so.

This is exactly why I was against buying games which are tied to being onlinee in the first place.

TOC (total ownership cost) is small there : Games are like "fire & forget" to big publishers. They just don't care about the customer, you can see it by how microsoft handles game owners.

Might & Magix X is a good game - it was not successful enough for Ubisoft to continue the series. Some more RPG fans should have bought it.

I supported the game in early access, and really enjoyed it, but it only got a mixed reception at release. People forget that at release

*For fairly modest graphics it had horrific performance rates, and didn't work on older machines, despite the developers initially saying it would.

*The non-early access parts (outside of the first chapter) were still full of bugs that later got fixed.

*Real time Might and Magic fans (of parts 6-8) reviewed bombed the game, because it only had turned based combat.

The developers got one more chance and made Heroes of Might and Magic VII, which fully patched also is really quite good, but suffered from similar problems at release and sold even worse and got even worse user reviews than Might and Magic X did. After that Ubi tried an online Heroes game, a mobile game, and a Hearthstone like card game, but after none of those did well they have let the IP sit.

I like this game and played it at least four times.

You say that about every game. ;)

I liked it, but I felt like it was almost a little too long. I think I had close to 200 hours on 1 playthrough. That's including the expansion too though.

*For fairly modest graphics it had horrific performance rates, and didn't work on older machines, despite the developers initially saying it would.

I don't recall having any performance issues with framerates or things like that, but the game did make my GPU run extremely hot. So hot in fact that I had to stop playing a few times just to let my system cool.

The only place that I saw technical issues during the game's launch was on static shop screens; one of the devs went crazy with dynamic lighting. They patched it shortly after. As a fan of TB blobbers, this is probably the best of the genre since Wizardry 8.

You could tell the game was a passion project for the developers. The IP deserves better than Ubisoft.

Back
Top Bottom