Scarlet Nexus - Review @ COG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
COG has reviewed the upcoming action RPG Scarlet Nexus:

Scarlet Nexus Review

You've heard of steampunk. And cyberpunk. Thanks to Bandai Namco's Scarlet Nexus, we can add "brain punk" to our lexicon of punk-associated terms. Set in a future in which augmented reality is everywhere, and telepathy is a common way to communicate, Scarlet Nexus leans hard into both its brain punk aesthetic and all the potential power and pitfalls of weaponizing the mind.
Depending on which character you select, the action RPG Scarlet Nexus follows the story of either Yuito Sumeragi or Kasane Randall as they train and fight for the Other Suppression Force (OSF), a special paramilitary outfit that uses the various mental abilities of its recruits to fight the Others. Monsters that appear from a low-atmosphere phenomenon called the Extinction Belt, the Others are terrorizing New Himuka, and members of the OSF use both standard weapons and mental abilities like pyrokinesis to battle them.

[...]

Scarlet Nexus marries varied and unique action RPG combat to two extended campaigns featuring engaging protagonists and a cast of memorable supporting players. Using its brain punk conceit to power a range of extended combat techniques, Scarlet Nexus is at its best in the thick of the fight, when the player can mix and match melee weapons, telekinetic beatdowns, and whatever talents the team on hand has to share. Unfortunately, there's some repetition in both the enemies and the combat arenas, and the pacing stutters here and there when it pauses for the story a little too long. On the whole, though, Scarlet Nexus' refreshing action, story, and trippy brain punk visual style are the game's superpowers that make it worth playing.

The Good

• Excellent action combat
  • Interesting protagonists and story
  • Unique setting
  • Weird enemies
The Bad

• Repetitive combat arenas
  • Pacing can drag
  • Static dialogue screens
  • Music is generic and forgettable
Score: 84/100
More information.

Another game for my wish list.

I read a few reviews, and they're all fairly similar: dull dialogue, repetitive environments and enemies, short (but you have to play twice to see the whole plot), so so music, and a good fighting system: 85 out of 100 or whatever.

I know for sure that a fun fighting system and nothing else above average or even average does not equal an 85 to me.

Back
Top Bottom