Might & Magic X - Removed from Sale

Ridiculous.

An incredibly stupid move by Ubisoft to build an online copy protection into a single player game that isn't sustainable in the long term. Compounded by the stupidity ofnot realizing the game was unplayable when they shut their servers down, pissing off a lot of people.

As a French, I know pretty well Ubisoft and never liked them, for many reason (that I do not want to develop here). What they did with M&M X makes me dislike this company even more.
By the way, I own M&M X on Steam.

Whilst you're welcome to your opinion fatknacker50, MMX was reasonably well liked. It wasn't the pinnacle of the series, but it was far from the worst. I know that as an M&M fan, I was looking foward to a reply in due course.

The main flaws as I saw them in MMX were…

1) Four characters didn't give enough room to experiment with all the combinations. Six would have been nicer.

2) The world could have done with being about 25% larger.

3) Could have used more links to older M&M games

4) It needed a way to respawn monsters somehow - the world got progressively more empty as you explored, and once you'd traveled around getting the best gear, there were no enemies to use it on!

5) Minor - modding was theoretically possible, but required an expensive devkit. Fail.

6) As we've discovered, DRM :(

7) Graphics driver issues with modern drivers/gpus, although these aren't fatal.

Would it be that difficult for them to release a patch removing the online aspects of the DRM?

This was a clear "f*ck it, no one plays this old game anymore".

Yep, shows you how much regard they have for their customers. Couldn't even be bothered to patch out the useless online DRM before switching off the servers.

Might as well get used to it from big publishers, though. If they have their way, everything will be a game-as-a-service, to be switched off at their discretion.

Apparently the DRM was done by some other company that Ubisoft have now parted with. Corporate decision making dictates a cost benefit analysis and a niche single player RPG doesn't fit the bill so no-one does anything about it.

i sent 3 refund requests to valve writing very clearly what is happening with the game, same bs answer, i played more than 2 hours :lol:

Blasphemy!! Where did I put my torch?

Makes you wonder if someday your favorite streaming service shuts down some servers, will all your movie purchases just go poof? Or if they go out of business, poof? Or if you vote the "wrong" way, poof?

Makes you wonder if someday your favorite streaming service shuts down some servers, will all your movie purchases just go poof? Or if they go out of business, poof? Or if you vote the "wrong" way, poof?
Yup, that's certainly going to happen. Just a question of when.

Luckily I rarely replay games, but I know others do.

Honestly I doubt Ubisoft cares all that much as the game was not a huge seller.:mwahaha:

The main flaws as I saw them in MMX were…

1) Four characters didn't give enough room to experiment with all the combinations. Six would have been nicer.

2) The world could have done with being about 25% larger.

3) Could have used more links to older M&M games

4) It needed a way to respawn monsters somehow - the world got progressively more empty as you explored, and once you'd traveled around getting the best gear, there were no enemies to use it on!

5) Minor - modding was theoretically possible, but required an expensive devkit. Fail.

6) As we've discovered, DRM :(

7) Graphics driver issues with modern drivers/gpus, although these aren't fatal.

I agree with most of those, but I don't think the world needed to be larger. It's already a fairly lengthy game as it is.

Also not sure how they could have done respawning unless it was extremely limited. The map progression was obviously balanced in a very specific way. I suppose they could have given less XP for respawned monsters.

I don't know what voting has to do with it, but I've seen the first part of your post happening since purchases became digitial/Cloud based.

Back
Top Bottom