Monomyth - Coming to Kickstarter July 27th

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Monomyth will be on Kickstarter July 27th according to this announcement.

MONOMYTH is an immersive, first-person dungeon crawling RPG in the vein of Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis, and the King's Field series.

Coming soon to Kickstarter! (including a Demo)

Kickstarter:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth

[...]

Greetings, dungeon-crawling enthusiasts!

Today I bring you some great news:

Monomyth will be coming to Kickstarter on the 27th of July, 2021, at 7 pm CET / 1 pm EST.

As a part of this Kickstarter campaign, you will be able to try a demo of Monomyth yourself! In this demo you will travel to the Serpent's Bastion, an outpost of Lysandria, and a bulwark against the many dangers that lurk in the wastelands surrounding the ancient fortress.

ccd5a990bd072169cd636df96e342115c68c9690.png

[...]
More information.

Looks pretty good, but hopefully it won't have (or minimal) …

1) Nintendo-style ledge jumping.
2) A lot of puzzles.
3) Stupid puzzles; i.e. "There are 4 levers. Figure out the correct order to pull them and you get no clues whatsoever. Oh, and if you pull the wrong one, you get zapped painfully. Good luck!". I don't mind logic puzzles as long as they can be "figured out" without trial and error, or clues are provided along the way. And sure, I can google the puzzle for the solution but prefer not to. Unless, you know, I'm getting zapped a lot.

As a part of this Kickstarter campaign, you will be able to try a demo of Monomyth yourself! In this demo you will travel to the Serpent's Bastion, an outpost of Lysandria, and a bulwark against the many dangers that lurk in the wastelands surrounding the ancient fortress.

Seems kind of odd to release a demo only as part of the Kickstarter campaign. What about the people who are on the fence about backing it?

Seems kind of odd to release a demo only as part of the Kickstarter campaign. What about the people who are on the fence about backing it?

A Demo is proof that you're not pushing vaporware. For developers without an established reputation its a good way to win over doubters, which I think is a good thing, considering how many failed kickstarters there have been.

I think a good way to do it would be to create say the first hour of content, then offer the first half as a free demo for everyone, and then the backers get the second half to enjoy right away. I think that would be a good way to tempt people in.

I would like to see him go to indiegogo instead. At least there he will collect some of the money even if he does not reach his goal. Plus its a growing platform and Kickstarter seems in decline.

I would like to see him go to indiegogo instead. At least there he will collect some of the money even if he does not reach his goal. Plus its a growing platform and Kickstarter seems in decline.

I guess it depends on the project type. Board games and miniatures/3d printing files seem to be thriving. I think there were a lot of crowd funded video games that disappointed and/or ran out of money. I would expect that impacts people's willingness to back as well as the appeal for responsible developers if the funding goal is unlikely. Crowdfunding seems to work better for limited scope and lower budget games where scope creep is managed aggressively.

A Demo is proof that you're not pushing vaporware. For developers without an established reputation its a good way to win over doubters, which I think is a good thing, considering how many failed kickstarters there have been.

A public demo would be even better though. If someone is a doubter, they're not likely to back it to begin with, and I don't think a demo locked behind a Kickstarter pledge is going to sway them in most cases.

But in the Kickstarter there is a link to download the demo (i am doing it right now), so i guess is public:

https://rattower.itch.io/monomyth-kickstarter

Indeed, I just finished playing through it and came back to post my thoughts. He should change the wording in the pitch because it's kind of confusing.

I liked the demo a lot, and I'm definitely backing this. It really feels like a modern King's Field game. The Arx Fatalis influence is obvious as well.

It took me about an hour and a half to finish the demo. It's very polished, although not everything is implemented yet, and you can't level up. I was impressed by the level-design, and I really like the atmosphere. There's no BGM yet, but the ambient sounds are enough.

Everyone needs to try this.

Will have a look. TBH, I was kind of put off by the name - a bit like that other one named The Protagonist, it just made me think, "Erm...."

Tried the demo, really liked it - backed it.

I filled out the questionnaire with essentially: "More detailed environments and more emphasis on lighting/ambience."

That's about it in terms of realistic improvements to a one-man indie crawler.

But I have to say I was really impressed otherwise. Not exactly mind-blowing - and I know Unreal is very forgiving when it comes to one-man work, but still.

Could be a great game if handled right.

This seems to be going rather well! :)

The rewards are puzzling, past the first sensible ones:
- a beta access for 125 EUR: why would I pay so much to work in a closed beta by someone I don't know? Doesn't it lack incentive?
- name/create an item/character: I've always found those were going against the game cohesion. People who pay 600 EUR (!) just to create a character will definitely want to have it their way.
- create a quest line 1000 EUR: paying so much to create a quest line? Maybe I'd consider selling a quest line, but not paying to make one for someone else who's earning the profit.

My reaction is: "No, the lore book and OST are good ideas, he should have put more of those instead." Yet there are already 4 backers for the quest line at 1000 EUR. Maybe family?

So, as long as there will be people ready to pay for that, why not.

Yeah, I have to agree the tiers were kinda sucky.

But, hey, it's a single guy - and at least he doesn't seem to be overreaching that much.

Yes, that the most important. It seems like he knows what he's doing, and the goals are realistic.

And to be frank, this project is just one example among many others. I'm more puzzled to see that it works, than by the rewards in this particular case. I'd say good for him :D

I'd agree with that. I wouldn't have expected a kickstarter campaign for such a game - with such a (relatively) limited scope would work out (which it definitely seems it will).

Turns out it's just another case of me not knowing shit.

If anything, I'd be more concerned that he's under-specced it. 19K, which he says will pay for food, rent and bills, and out of which he's paying taxes, legal fess, and contractors, in Austria... I hope he likes foraging for nuts and berries...

Back
Top Bottom