S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 - Using Unreal Engine 5

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is using Unreal Engine 5.

GSC GameWorld has announced that STALKER 2: Heart of Chernobyl will be using Unreal Engine 5 and not Unreal Engine 4. The game will release in April 2021 and from the looks of it, it will be one of the first that will be using UE5.

STALKER 2 aims to feature an epic, non-linear story. Furthermore, your choices will influence both short-term consequences and global outcomes. The game will take place inside the Chernobyl exclusion zone, and it will have new locations along with the old ones.

[...]
More information.

Interesting choice. UE5 is still in developer preview, and has some rough edges. I don't think it's even due to get a stable release until next year.

The game will release in April 2021

hmmm.png

From the article unless I'm missing something and that was the last date given above.:)
STALKER 2: Heart of Chernobyl releases on April 28th, 2022.

Ah okay then it's actually been in development for years. I remember the developer going bankrupt, and the clones that launched on kickstarter a few years back.

Don't forget this was supposed to be an online game but that has changed as well.

Interesting choice. UE5 is still in developer preview, and has some rough edges. I don't think it's even due to get a stable release until next year.
Curious because a few big name games are using the engine. An article I read this week mentioned Outer Worlds 2 was using that engine as well. Maybe a better Beta version?

I also remember Obsidian's Avowed and inXile's next RPG will as well.

That was canceled in I think 2012 and then rebooted in, what was it, 2018, 2019. For all intents and purposes this is a completely different game.

That was canceled in I think 2012 and then rebooted in, what was it, 2018, 2019. For all intents and purposes this is a completely different game.
Yeah like I said above a troubled history of development. At one time some ex-employee's made their own game. They had to stop for legal reasons in 2014.:nod:

Metro series developer 4A is made out of ex-GSC developers, but I think they left GSC even before the first STALKER was released. There was also Survarium, I think you are referring to that game, made by Vostok Games, also ex-GSC developers. That was a multiplayer game with similar atmosphere. I tried it when it was in beta/early release and it was kind of fun, but I wasn't into multiplayer games at that time so I didn't play it for long.

Curious because a few big name games are using the engine. An article I read this week mentioned Outer Worlds 2 was using that engine as well. Maybe a better Beta version?

I also remember Obsidian's Avowed and inXile's next RPG will as well.

Yeah, if the game is still at early stages of development, probably not too much of a problem. And Obsidian probably has the resources now so that they can fix any engine code that's causing problems. But Epic definitely warns that it's not ready for production use at this stage. Not sure it's the wisest move for a game that's due next April.

Metro series developer 4A is made out of ex-GSC developers, but I think they left GSC even before the first STALKER was released. There was also Survarium, I think you are referring to that game, made by Vostok Games, also ex-GSC developers. That was a multiplayer game with similar atmosphere. I tried it when it was in beta/early release and it was kind of fun, but I wasn't into multiplayer games at that time so I didn't play it for long.
All the games above but another was called Areal, but was suspended for copyright and other issues. Frankly I'm surprised GSC is even still in business after bankruptcy.

Yeah, if the game is still at early stages of development, probably not too much of a problem. And Obsidian probably has the resources now so that they can fix any engine code that's causing problems. But Epic definitely warns that it's not ready for production use at this stage. Not sure it's the wisest move for a game that's due next April.

I don't think it can be worse than X-Ray engine. That was made with spit and sellotape. Still impressive looking at some moments to this day, though.

All the games above but another was called Areal, but was suspended for copyright and other issues. Frankly I'm surprised GSC is even still in business after bankruptcy.

Yeah you're right, they had a Kickstarter or Indiegogo or something right? They used footage from the old games and showed 0 original work if I remember correctly.

Reminds me of Troika's struggle in developing Vampire Masquerade w/ the then-in-production Source engine. Didn't go too smoothly. I guess someone has to be first though.

I don't think it can be worse than X-Ray engine. That was made with spit and sellotape. Still impressive looking at some moments to this day, though.
Absolutely true that engine produced good visuals but had a lot of problems under it's code. A few Modders did fix the engine and succeeded. Just check out Moddb.
Yeah you're right, they had a Kickstarter or Indiegogo or something right? They used footage from the old games and showed 0 original work if I remember correctly.
Correct they tried to cash in on the Stalker name and used other shady business plans.

Typical Russians.

Last edited:
Reminds me of Troika's struggle in developing Vampire Masquerade w/ the then-in-production Source engine. Didn't go too smoothly. I guess someone has to be first though.

The thing with that is that Valve was developing Half Life 2 on the same engine at the same time and I think they licensed Troika an early version of it. There was no way in Hell they'd just give the full engine to a potential competitor. Epic isn't making a new game on Unreal 5 and are instead in the business of licensing their engine (among other things). It's in both parties' interest that the game performs well. And I think UE5 is in a much, much better state today than Source was when VtMB was being developed.

Just don't try to use their new water system on a large map, if you like to see more than one frame per five seconds. :p

I always liked the Stalker games much more than the Metro-series, so I dearly hope that this title will fell like the predecessors when you play it and not like "just-another-fps-with-some-rpg-elements".

As for the engine-change...can't really claim to know enough to have much of an opinion. Newer should be better?...well in theory at least.;)

Back
Top Bottom