Matt Chat - Matt Plays Drakensang

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Matt Chat played some Drakensang.

Here we go with Drakensang, a 2009 game based on The Dark Eye RPG system from Germany. It's awesome, but sadly never got the attention it deserved outside of its native land. Time to rectify that! This is an amazing game that's well worth your time and money whether you played it back in the day or not--at least in this man's opinion. Hey, in addition to great audiovisuals and interesting RPG mechanics, it's got Wolf Rats--need I say more?
More information.

Getting these games to run in WIN 10 is a pain in the butt. They don't start after installing them. I usually have to edit the IN file, and play them in windowed mode.

Hearing things like that, Couch, is a huge part of the reason I've shied away from windows ten. I'd not be happy if I had problems running older games, since that's what I find myself playing often. And this game is a prime example, great when it came out and still a blast to play!!

I quite enjoyed that game. Well, apart from constantly having to wrestle with the camera controls. The camera sucked almost as much as in DA2. As usual though I decided to skip the final boss battle as tedious self-torture.

I wouldn't blame Windows 10. How many thousands of games work just fine in both??

Anyway, it's a trivial fix. Here's a guide:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1685838229

I only played Drakensang 2. It was fun, though nothing particularly special. Got some really nice screenshots out of it. Dressing up the dwarf as a cow was the most memorable bit for me. I would say it's an 8 out of 10.

A pity the music is all bundled up into data files, it would be nice to add that to my game music collection.

P.S. I wasn't very impressed with the expansion.

Getting these games to run in WIN 10 is a pain in the butt. They don't start after installing them. I usually have to edit the IN file, and play them in windowed mode.

Dakensang requires DirectX 9, if I recall that correctly.

Nebula3 is their engine.

The team was later bought by Bigpoint, together with the brand name, which did not include the right to use the TDE rules set, and Bigpoint turned the Drakensang brand into an MMO.

A pity the music is all bundled up into data files, it would be nice to add that to my game music collection.

I think the Collector's Edition or the PE had a music CD.

I never played it (shame on me !), but people say it feels rather like a DLC. Its core story, however, is something special for TDE insiders.

The whole Drakensang 1 story was advertised as some kind of prelude to a much bigger campaign - the "Drachenchronik" - one that would, however, go unnoticed by normal Aventuria folks, because it would only have a massive impact among the dragons of Aventuria. I played its first part in a pen & paper group for some time. It was very difficult. And we only reached the first of the "big" dragons.

I wouldn't blame Windows 10. How many thousands of games work just fine in both??

Yes trivial but I hate playing the game in windowed mode/half screen.:p

So as it stands these games are not playable the way they should be.
Dakensang requires DirectX 9, if I recall that correctly.

Nebula3 is their engine.

The team was later bought by Bigpoint, together with the brand name, which did not include the right to use the TDE rules set, and Bigpoint turned the Drakensang brand into an MMO.
Yeah already know that but other DX9 games run fine. So yeah it's the engine.

Last edited:
In Drakensang 2 I had issues with the ATI card, a beard wouldn't be properly displayed when a certain function within the options was activated. I don't remember anymore which one it was, though. Perhaps Antialiasing ?

I only played Drakensang 2. It was fun, though nothing particularly special. Got some really nice screenshots out of it. Dressing up the dwarf as a cow was the most memorable bit for me. I would say it's an 8 out of 10.

If these are the songs you can go to a youtune to mp3 convertir website and download the soundtrack.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a6WNY3n0ih8

ow yeah good old days of pc gaming when rpgs were not afreid to be rpgs.

Back
Top Bottom