Fallout 4: London - Modder recruited by Bethesda

Is it good news because his mod might now be discontinued.:p

Note I didn't watch the video or read the article.:biggrin:

Edit. After reading the discord announcement it was just the head writer of the mod. So nothing was lost they have another modder to fill the gap after she leaves.

I must have missed the release of that mod.
Nah you didn't it's a work in development and only a few videos are online of it's progress. Just like the Miami & Cascadia mods as well. They might never release.

Last edited:
Good for her. Hopefully she's better than the writers they have now. :)

As far as Fallout 4: London, I've heard of it but never paid much attention. Being in America is an integral aspect of Fallout's style. I'm not sure how well it would translate to a setting like London.

I do have some interest in that Fallout Miami mod though. It might be fun to liquify some mutant flamingos.

As far as Fallout 4: London, I've heard of it but never paid much attention. Being in America is an integral aspect of Fallout's style. I'm not sure how well it would translate to a setting like London.

Yeah, same. Fallout always felt very "American" to me, a spoof on a certain time period and nation, which would not translate very well to other regions because they would have to have a totally different flair (which then wouldn't be "Fallout" any more) - or just be for some strange reasons totally "American-ized". Someone brought up the idea of doing a European Fallout RPG campaign but I never got interested into that, too, for the same reason. Europe is simply not "Fallout" for me and some "vaguely Fallout-inspired" setting is both not enough and too much like Fallout...

I can imagine how it might be fun to transpose it to London, and change the tone slightly to fit. For example, changing the 50's American style Pip Boy adverting to the stuffy British equivalent. (Here's an old one from Harry Enfield having fun with the sort of thing I mean.)

I can see how it could be made to work.

I think a London based Fallout would work. I'd give it a go. It'd a bit of a refresher. The narrator of the clip sounded like an impression of Jason Statham.

Absolutely, a London backround should work quite well for a Fallout setting. You just need to use a real Fallout as a basis for the game, not the fourth one, lol!

And I suspect this new person will be worth three to four people that contributed to the last game. Perhaps even more.

Sheesh the hate Fallout 4 gets around here. :roll:

I played the game over six times now and love it despite the simplifying Bethesda did. Face the facts there will never be a TB Fallout again. I know it hurts but move on.

Go play Wasteland two or three.;)

Last edited:
Also Fallout does not need to be based in America. The game world has it's own lore. I'll counter and say I want a spin-off from the Chinese point of view. Just take my money.

Last edited:
Yeah, same. Fallout always felt very "American" to me, a spoof on a certain time period and nation, which would not translate very well to other regions because they would have to have a totally different flair (which then wouldn't be "Fallout" any more) - or just be for some strange reasons totally "American-ized". Someone brought up the idea of doing a European Fallout RPG campaign but I never got interested into that, too, for the same reason. Europe is simply not "Fallout" for me and some "vaguely Fallout-inspired" setting is both not enough and too much like Fallout…

I think you sum it up pretty well there.

I'm not opposed to someone trying it in a different location, and they can call it whatever they want, but it wouldn't really be Fallout. The style is a very distinct retrofuturism based on 1950's America, and it's a big part of Fallout's identity. That's not something you can really change and still call it the same thing.

I do not claim that it would have to be a bad game. Or not funny or interesting or anything. For me(!), it just wouldn't be "Fallout".

Of course one could set a game in China in the same world, but pretty much all of Fallout's specific details would be missing. The world was much less globalized in Fallout, so in China you would have no Nuka Cola, no Vault Tech Vaults, etc. Perhaps some monsters might be the same, but even those seem to be highly localized, based on local fauna.
The story there would be totally different, basically being "post-apocalypse in China on the same world where Fallout happened".
This would not have to be a bad game, but it would lack very much everything "Fallout", unless you add some lone US-Infiltrator-Ghoul there in a submarine.

And similarly, but less extreme, would be Fallout London. I wish them luck and everything but for me - personally - it would be hard to hit the right combination of still being "Fallout" while being enough "Britain" and not just "Americanized England". And not sure if there actually is a "right" combination of those for me.

I agree that Fallout as we know it being set in a retro-future, post-apoc U.S. is central to its identity. As a concept, though, I think it could be extended to (for example) London by making it a retro-future, post-apoc England. Not just England with all its buildings collapsed, but similarly referencing a period in London's history. It may not resonate with American audiences as much, but that's fine. I think we'd get the gist.

I'd love to visit other parts of the World in the Fallout universe, but I fear that is far too much of an undertaking for even a dedicated team of modders. You can't use the same "American" assets in Britain. There is so much that would need to be created from scratch for the setting to feel immersive. I wish them good luck, but I remain very sceptical of this project.

Back
Top Bottom