Gamescom - Winners of Awards 2021

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Bandai Namco seems to have grabbed many awards this year, unsurprisingly, with Elden Ring winning 4 out of 5 categories it was nominated in, and Park Beyond.

Here is the whole list of nominees and winners (with game synopsys and links).

The nominees for the gamescom awards 2021 have been determined: The jury, consisting of German and international games journalists as well as well-known content creators, selected from a large number of submissions. This year, winning titles will be awarded in a total of 22 categories. Partners and fans of gamescom (August 25 to 27, 2021) can look forward to see who will receive one of the wanted trophies. The first awards in the platform categories will already be presented on Wednesday during gamescom: Opening Night Live.
List of the winners:

• Best Action Adventure Game: Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
  • Best Action Game: Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft)
  • Best Family Game: Super Dungeon Maker (Rokaplay)
  • Best Indie Game: Lost In Random (Zoink Games/Thunderful, Electronic Arts)
  • Best RPG: Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
  • Best Simulation: Park Beyond (Bandai Namco)
  • Best Sports Game: Riders Republic (Ubisoft)
  • Best Strategy Game: Age of Empires 4 (Microsoft)
  • Best Multiplayer Game: Halo Infinite (Microsoft)
  • Best Ongoing Game: Apex Legends (Electronic Arts)
  • Most Original Game: Dice Legacy (Ravenscourt)
  • Best Xbox Game: Halo Infinite (Microsoft)
  • Best Switch Game: Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope (Ubisoft)
  • Best PlayStation Game: Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
  • Best PC Game: Syberia: The World Before (Microids)
  • Best Announcement: Saints Row (Koch Media)
  • Best Trailer: Saints Row (Koch Media)
  • Best of Gamescom: Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
  • Best Line-up: Bandai Namco

More information.

Elden Ring is going to be on more than the Playstation....that's a weird category. At least the other two platform winners are specifically for those platforms.

I'm not suprised. I'm a bit sad because another Souls-like won Best RPG but not suprised.

Best strategy game Age of Empires 4....:wall::wall::wall::wall:

At least the voters have a sense of humour.

I've been waiting for Far Cry 6 for months now... Not because I believe it will be more than a mediocre game, only because I got it for free with some hardware. But "Best Action Game" sounds really like a stretch. It will in all likelihood be "just another one". If you like this type of game, great, if not, I doubt this one will convince anyone.

I just noticed that Elden Ring won both Best Action/Adventure Game and Best RPG awards.

Hahaha, damn bipolar game (or Gamescom voters). Now we have an action/RPG/adventure?? And does the acronym aRPG now mean "action RPG" or "adventure RPG"?? :p :p

Man, what a mess!! Is that all because they didn't have nominees enough to fill all categories?

I'm sad that there is only a category called "Best Action Adventure Game" and no category called "Best Adventure Game". This is telling a LOT about the state of the "games industry" …
… Everything has to be "Action" these days, which means = Adrenaline …

Why don't they call it "Best Adrenaline Adventure Game" in the first place ?

Age of Empire is a great strategy game series. The previous three games have all been remastered with new content. The fourth game looks like a good contender as well.

It's just not the original developer this time.:(

Now having said that many of the games didn't interest me in the slightness. Frankly I'm not surprised Elden Ring won three times as big budget RPGs are weak this year.

Last edited:
What's wrong with that?

Age of Empires is to strategy gaming what Ludo is to chess.

Field of Glory Empires ?
Crusader Kings 3 ?
Warplan 2 ?
War in the East 2 ?
Dominions 5 ?

I guess like most awards the votes depend on the constituency of voters involved.

Field of Glory Empires ?

Crusader Kings 3 ?

Warplan 2 ?

War in the East 2 ?

Dominions 5 ?

I guess like most awards the votes depend on the constituency of voters involved.
I think the nominees are only games that are presented this year at Gamescom. (If that makes sense is another question.)
That's not true for the games you listed, is it?

Field of Glory Empires ?
Crusader Kings 3 ?
Warplan 2 ?
War in the East 2 ?
Dominions 5 ?

Only good strategy game on your list is Crusader Kings 3. Doubt anyone plays or talks about the others except on specialized armchair general web-sties.:p
I think the nominees are only games that are presented this year at Gamescom. (If that makes sense is another question.)
That's not true for the games you listed, is it?
Yep only new unreleased games are showed off at Gamescom.:nod:

Only good strategy game on your list is Crusader Kings 3. Doubt anyone plays or talks about the others except on specialized armchair general web-sties.:p

Well if it's only unreleased games shown at Gamescom then it makes lot more sense but it's a pretty shallow pool to fish in and a low bar an award winner needs to reach.

As to the merits of CK 3 versus the other strategy games I mentioned since when has popularity equalled "best" ?

Although from the UK I am led to believe Trump was very popular in 2016 amongst around 50 per cent of the US electorate.

I'm wondering how relevant that makes their awards. There are demos and gameplay videos at least, but no public opinion yet, and I've always been wary of critic reviews.

The fact they put the same game in 5 different categories feels wrong too, no matter how good the game is. It casts a shadow on other games that may be very promising.

This year's prizes feel very uncreative to me. It's feels to me like … putting the newest Ford motorcar into several categories and then even let it win in some …

They didn't even look into the Indies scene, as it appears to me … It's a complete B2B reality bubble this year.

This year's prizes feel very uncreative to me. It's feels to me like … putting the newest Ford motorcar into several categories and then even let it win in some …

They didn't even look into the Indies scene, as it appears to me … It's a complete B2B reality bubble this year.
Blame covid-19 Alrik.:)

They had to organize a digital only event this year. Usually it's a big convention with thousands of regular gamer's and journalists. It's amazing they even did the event.

I'm wondering how relevant that makes their awards.
Well, the more they are talked about, the more relevant they are. ;)

If they were more honest out transparent they would call them something like “gamescom most promising awards“ or “gamescom best presentation awards“.

Back
Top Bottom