Elden Ring - Gameplay Breakdown by Fextralife

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Fextralife gives his first thoughts on a 17-minute gameplay preview demo of Elden Ring, the upcoming RPG developed by FromSoftware Inc. and published by Bandai Namco. Elden Ring just won 4 awards at gamescom 2021.

Elden Ring New Gameplay Breakdown & Impressions, New Mechanics Revealed!

We had a 17 minute GAMEPLAY preview demo and presentation with FromSoftware: Elden Ring New Gameplay Breakdown & Impressions, New Mechanics Revealed! PvP, Crafting, MAP!

Elden Ring New Gameplay Breakdown & Impressions, New Mechanics Revealed

In this Elden Ring New Gameplay Breakdown & Impressions, New Mechanics Revealed article I'll be discussing my thoughts about Elden Ring after watching a 17 minute gameplay demonstration, having a brief presentation by From Software's Yasuhiro Kitao, and getting to ask many many questions about Elden Ring's mechanics. If you've been dying to know more about Elden Ring, and have been wondering what the Gameplay is like, read on to find out!

More information.

Skimmed through the video, and I really liked hearing about some of the things he mentions.

He talks about the verticality of the levels and how being able to jump now lends a lot to the exploration. There's also stealth which I didn't know about until seeing this.

Skimmed through the video, and I really liked hearing about some of the things he mentions.

He talks about the verticality of the levels and how being able to jump now lends a lot to the exploration. There's also stealth which I didn't know about until seeing this.

Yeah, both jumping and the stealth systems were brought over from Sekiro, also where verticality was taken to the next level with the rope and grappling hook . Though I doubt Elden Ring will take it to that level this time.

Bah just call it Dark Souls Evolved and be done with it. I have more interest for Bethesda's Starfield and Obsidian's Avowed. They are at least true open world RPGs.

The whole Dark Souls genre never appealed to me.

But apparingly there's a whole mot of machismo players wanting "the REAL thing", I suppose.

Starfield is for later though, ought to keep players busy ;)
Hard to call this an open world RPG when it has zero towns, cities, and not many NPC's. Like Alrik said above this genre is for machismo combat players not true RPG fans.;)
Frankly I hate the entire genre and can't believe millions buy this crap.:cm:

Hard to call this an open world RPG when it has zero towns, cities, and not many NPC's. Like Alrik said above this genre is for machismo combat players not true RPG fans.;)
Oh you don't need to convince me, I'm definitely not into soul-like games either :) This one seems to have good qualities at least, but honestly, I haven't paid much attention.

Besides, open-worldness is always so complicated to argue.

The genre is not for me as well. Wouldn't play it if it was for free.

But we shouldn't judge the gamers who like to play these games for whatever reasons. To each his own.

Its similar story like with first Diablo.
What Diablo did to RPG genre is now repeating with Dark Souls and DS clones around every corner.

But we shouldn't judge the gamers who like to play these games for whatever reasons. To each his own.
Bah each year just shows me more how shitty gamer's tastes are.:rotfl:

So I'll judge all I want as publisher's look at these trends for future games. Just look at those top lists on Steam and the one Redglyph posted from Europe in the news-bits.
Its similar story like with first Diablo.
What Diablo did to RPG genre is now repeating with Dark Souls and DS clones around every corner.
Yep it's the new craze with hundreds of clones already like Diablo.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Forget starfield and avowed for now. Elex 2 is coming, December 2021.

For lots of players its all about the setting so having familiar gameplay thats been iterated on in a new and interesting setting is enough.

Forget starfield and avowed for now. Elex 2 is coming, December 2021.
Yeah I hope so but it's all quiet on that front as PB hasn't confirmed the date.
On the release topic some sites did list the Elex 2 date as October 19, 2021. Though PB remained silent on the topic. So that last date was not official either it seems.

Link - https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroom/elex-2-possible-release-date-revealed/z13635

Steam, GOG and Amazon just say coming soon.
I wouldn't totally rule out that PB will announce ELEX 2 for a 10/19 release at Gamescom next week (accompanied by a gameplay trailer or two). They said they wanted a much shorter marketing period for the sequel so it would not be overly surprising.

Of course, there is also the statement from Gamestar who said in their preview that they would guess at a release next summer (2022) which is a curious guess for a gaming mag.

Knowing that PB and Gamestar are best buddies, I would almost be tempted to go conspiracy nut and assume that Mr. and Mrs. Pankratz might have made the Gamestar guy say this so they could negotiate for another extension with THQ Nordic.

Whatever, we'll find out at Gamescom in about a week. In the meantime they have posted yet another new artwork on social media.
Also there was no Gamescom announcement.:(

Anyway there hasn't been many Triple A big budget RPGs in the last few years.

Yeah I hope so but it's all quiet on that front as PB hasn't confirmed the date.
Also there was no Gamescom announcement.:(

Yep. It was quite surprising for everyone at the World of Elex forums that PB (THQ Nordic) was completely absent from Gamescom. As posted above, they wanted a shorter marketing campaign this time and they said at the reveal in June that they would follow up "soon" with more info which many people, myself included, took as a seemingly obvious Gamescom hint.

Then complete radio silence at Gamescom. The only stuff they have posted since June is a weekly artwork to social media (latest one from yesterday is here). They have barely mentioned the game in the weekly videos on their YT channel, even though the cat is out of the bag now.

It's all a bit strange. The only thing they have said about Gamescom is that they are not fans of a purely digital event and that they miss the direct interaction with the fans like throwing t-shirts into the crowd (yay?).

Regarding the reveal of ELEX 2 in June and the partially lukewarm reception, they have stated that they would have loved to be able to explain more where the game stands which was not possible due to the lack of a live event (though if they feel this way then I'm wondering why they aren't just using their YT channel to post a follow-up video with explanations?).

All in all it sounds like they are hoping for some miracle where CoVid goes extinct so they can have their live stage show to feel like rockstars. It doesn't look like CoVid is going to do them that favor any time soon. Cases are on the rise again…

Next up, PB will be participating in a small fair/workshop (Gaming Days) in October but according to the official schedule they will only be there on Sunday at 5PM for a talk about the ELEX universe. It seems unlikely that any major ELEX 2 news will be shared at that event.

Oh well, maybe they will surprise us with news next week. ELEX 2 was officially announced on the last day of E3. Maybe more news will come right after Gamescom next week. We'll see…

On topic: Elden Ring may look nice visually but I very much doubt that a From Software game is for me as I also detest Souls-likes. And yes… the effect of some popular games on gaming as a whole can be frustrating. I also hated the Diablo clones and even the Baldur's Gate clones as I wasn't a fan of isometric games at all back in the day. Gothic was my salvation from that dark era in 2001. Thank the gaming Gods for Gothic! :biggrin:

@Moriendor

Seems that rumor from Gamestar about the release in 2022 is sounding likely.

Anyway last time for my off-topic replies.:biggrin:

It's just an objective fact that Elden Ring looks like a good game.

Some people die and throw the controller at the wall, some people die and decide to get good. It's up to you how you deal with dying to a hard boss. It's not the games fault if the player is low on skill and high on anger and frustration issues and that stops them being able to enjoy the experience.

If you don't like Dark Souls I can totally understand but it's your own fault for being bad. Don't try and pretend like the game isn't awesome. You're not fooling anyone.

Nah I just download one of the many PC trainers.:cool:

In the end I find I still hate the game and the entire genre.:p
Edit: See this a joking jest for Sir James which the person below missed.:stupid:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom