Code of the Savage - Open Demo Available

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
There is a publicly available demo for traditional RPG Code of the Savage. Also the August update explains combat and shows the system with some videos.

Update 34: Combat system and Test Island, OPEN DEMO!

Hi All,

HUGE update. There is a lot to talk about, but I'll start with the combat system.

Demo download

Combat System

The removal of the scroll wheel actions in the last update has paved the way for the combat system overhaul. I feel a bit like a creative roadblock has finally been lifted, and it's a good feeling.

I left the combat system in a state limbo for a long time while I worked on other parts of the game... simply because I couldn't think of a way to make it work with the scroll wheel actions... Sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face - scroll wheel actions gutted.

Previously, the combat system was dull and tedious, but I have gotten it to the point now where I can finally say I'm happy with it. It of course needs refinement and feedback, but feel a lot better about it.

The combat system now functions a little bit like Ultima Online with a dash of Ultima 7 thrown in (without U7's famous "double-click->bad-guy-dead" lack of control).

[video at link]

Combat Mode

Combat now works by entering combat mode. As the name implies, being in combat mode enables you to attack things. When in Combat mode double clicking an NPC will attack them instead of talking to them. The cursor will turn red and the players weapon, shield and helm will be equipped and show on the player avatar. I've also created extra shield and weapon sprites that show on the players back. Enter combat mode by hitting CTRL or clicking the new combat mode button on the sidebar.

fc76e6e40114d90f3ff96083c49f92e9_original.gif

Toggling combat mode

Juice

I've added sound effects, camera shake, and an improved knockback effect to make combat feel more satisfying. I'd love to get some feedback on how this feels to you as a player.

[video at link]

Targeting

Now, instead of having to double-click a target each time you want to swing, you simple double-click once. It then continuously swings/fires automatically while/when in range. An animated arrow appears on top of the targeted NPC.

248ad44923f5433162d30931ab76f75d_original.gif

Targeting system

Ranged Weapons

Ranged weapons have been completely overhauled. In fact they were pretty damn broken in the previous version.

Ranged weapons now have a load/powerup time before they can be fired. They are then fired automatically when in range of the target. The shot is cancelled if the player moves. I've added a bow pullback animation.

This still has to be tweaked. I need to get the balance right to ensure ranged weapons are not too over powered, while ensuring they are not inferior to melee weapons, and thus never used by the player... Right now I think they lean towards the latter, and I'd love to get your feedback on how they should be handled.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Back
Top Bottom