Non-RPG General News - Alan Wake Remaster Confirmed

Redglyph

SasqWatch
After recent rumours, Remedy has officialy announced a remaster of Alan Wake for this year.

VGC reports:

It's official: Alan Wake Remastered is coming to consoles and PC this year

Remedy has officially announced Alan Wake Remastered, an updated version of its 2010 cult classic.

The remaster will release in fall 2021 on PC and consoles, published by Epic Games, and include the original game and its two expansions, improved with 4K visuals and a new commentary from creative director Sam Lake.

In an open letter published on fan site Sudden Stop, Lake dedicated the remaster to the Alan Wake series' fanbase.

"This is for you," he wrote. "Alan Wake came out over 11 years ago, and through that time, you have told us again and again how much you love the game, the story, the characters, and the lore. And that matters a lot to us. We love this game as well. I love this game.

"The remaster is coming because of your support for Alan Wake through the years. That is why we felt it was fitting to make this announcement here, at The Sudden Stop, which has been an integral part of the Remedy community since back in 2012, when it started out as an Alan Wake fansite."

He added: "Alan Wake Remastered is the original experience you fell in love with all those years ago. We did not want to change that. But the visuals all around, including the character model of Alan Wake himself and the cinematics, have been updated and improved with some choice next-generation upgrades."

[...]
More information.

Even though I'm not sure what they could improve for the remaster, it's nice to see it on other platforms. Seeems PC is only Epic Games. I hope it'll come other Steam and GOG later on.

I loved the whole game, and Sam Lake's writing and world building. And would like an nice opportunity/excuse to play it again.

Meh not my cup of tea. So good news for those that love the game.:)

Even though I'm not sure what they could improve for the remaster...

I'm usually very forgiving when story-driven games have garbage gameplay since I'm motivated to explore said story but Alan Wake was too much. The no. 1 thing that should be improved on PC are the controls. I did not get far in the game because of the crappy controls.

IIRC, it was generally a rather poor console port that had consolitis written all over it. The mouse felt like it had a huge level of mouse smoothing enabled*. It just wasn't fun for me at all.

* yup, my memory seems to be in (somewhat ;) ) working order... according to PCGamingWiki the mouse sensitivity is tied to the framerate (high fps makes the mouse LESS responsive!).
As we can see on the PCGW page, the game has a lot of issues that should not have been there if the PC port had received proper attention.
I'm not sure if it makes sense to be overly hopeful with regard to the PC version. Like all of the current remasters, the main purpose is obviously to bring the game to PS5 and XSX for monetary reasons.

I played Alan Wake a year or so ago and it was okay but not better than that. I was able to finish it but the story felt like it had too many holes (I questioned character reactions) and the gameplay was only okay. A lot of people liked the game a whole lot, though.

For me, this whole game was not so much about the story or the gameplay but rather all about the atmosphere. I have a special fondness for games that take place in some kind of quirky, eccentric, small american town with "Twin Peaks-vibes".

Bright Falls from "Alan Wake", Arcadia Bay from "Life is Strange", Greenvale from "Deadly Premonition" and others of similar style. ;)

Yup, I'll be waiting until this lands on GoG or steam. I don't do Unepic.

The game ? You know, there's a game with that name ...

Hehe I meant the online service, I actually own the game. Oh, and someone in a discord channel that I'm in just posted some huge news story about Epic using some online service that spies on what you might wishlist on Steam, among other things. I don't pretend to understand it all, yet it seems rather sketchy to me.

Kind of surprised by this one. I didn't think the game was popular enough to justify a remaster. It's cool for the fans I guess, but I can think of a lot of games I would have rather seen this announcement for.

Yea, I also was surprised to see this...my first reaction was -- why?

I thought the game looked OK at the time, but nothing special. (never played it)

Yea, I also was surprised to see this…my first reaction was -- why?
Money because remakes and remasters are all the craze nowadays.:)

Take a finished game slap some new paint on it and sell if for $40-60 dollars again.:biggrin:

I'm surprised so few people here are fans of the game. I'm generally a big fan of Remedy, and Alan Wake also really grew on me. The gameplay was so so, it was decent but nothing extraordinary. What I love is the worlds and writing that Sam Lake does. So I'm really happy to hear they're working on Alan Wake 2. I believe that was confirmed, right? Anyway.

I hope they also include American Nightmare in the remaster. That was also great fun. A great "Twilight Zone"-like episode.

I'm surprised so few people here are fans of the game. I'm generally a big fan of Remedy, and Alan Wake also really grew on me. The gameplay was so so, it was decent but nothing extraordinary. What I love is the worlds and writing that Sam Lake does. So I'm really happy to hear they're working on Alan Wake 2. I believe that was confirmed, right? Anyway..

I would have much rather seen remasters of Max Payne 1& 2. Alan Wake isn't that old and has aged fairly well so far imo. I'm not sure it really needs a remaster at this point.

Max Payne otoh could really use it.

Back
Top Bottom