Tales of Arise

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
Tales of Arise is an upcoming action role-playing game developed and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment. The seventeenth main entry in the Tales franchise, it is planned for release in 2021 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The game follows two people from the opposing worlds of Dahna and Rena. Gameplay will be a departure from Tales traditions, while retaining a version of its trademark Linear Motion Battle System.

Features:

A world of nature drawn with the "Atmospheric Shader":
We are introducing a new graphics shader, inspired by anime and watercolor painting. Characters with attractive designs travel among backgrounds filled with beautiful and delicate visuals.

Explore a world that feels alive:
Explore the world of Dahna, where a mix of unique, natural environments change in appearance based on the time of day. Climb over the rocky terrain, swim in rivers, gather around the campfire, cook food, head to the next town, defeat the master of an alien planet, and liberate the people!

Stylish action and battles:
Through the new system "Boost Strike", you can now chain combos of powerful attacks together with your party members. Chain Artes, Boost Attacks, and Boost Strike combos to take down your enemies!

Experience the story of the divided Renan and Dahnan people:
The protagonists who will determine the fate of these two worlds are Alphen and Shionne. They will overcome hardships and grow together with their unique group of friends. Gorgeous animation by ufotable is inserted at key points in the story, adding more color to our protagonists' journey.

More information.

RPGWatch Curation:
This J-RPG shines with an emotional storyline, unique characters and a well-designed action combat system. Combining fantasy with sci-fi elements is new for the Tales series - Recommended!

The actual RPG of the year that nobody in the western world cares to talk about

I doubt it's goty.
I didn't hear the story is as dark as it gets.
Also noone mentioned the game is trolling absolutely everything: itself, it's characters and especially is trolling you.

In other words, if it is not Berseria2 without silly combat system, then it is not goty. ;)

Tastes I guess.

Yes, I know I'm starting to sound like the MC score reporter, but the PS version has a 9.2 user score with over 300 reviews. The PC version has 8.6, and a lot of mentions of being the best Tales PC port ever made. Maybe some of us just can't appreciate it.

I don't have time for it so I can't tell. Maybe around Christmas.

Sorry but I can't appreciate if the story is apparently the worst story of all Tales of games. At least that's what I've read on Steam in a few user reviews.
They talk about improved combat and, well, I don't care about that.

This combat that combat… It's all the same to me.
I can bang my head against a wall just because. If there is no story behind it, who should care? Bacterias maybe?

Something about healer role behind DLC paywall and other perhaps questionable stuff I didn't even bother to read in detail.
Sorry.
If there is no story to remember, there is no interest of mine about anything else in it. When I start playing storyless stuff, you'll see me in a nuthouse lollipopping Candy Crush Saga levels.

Note that I based this post on several Steam user inputs.
I don't share the same taste with people and plenty of times happened I've adored a story others couldn't stand.
Or vice versa, you saw only me loving Greybor's story. ;)
But I've hinted about that above. Berseria. Can't remember any other game that did something similar to a player and to itself. I want more of that stuff.

Last edited:
Something about healer role behind DLC paywall and other perhaps questionable stuff I didn't even bother to read in detail.

The rest sounds much like your opinion (and some Steam users), which is fair enough, but this part I quoted is awful. If it's the case I'm staying well away from it.

I just looked up the Steam store and it has all kind of paid DLCs, even level ups and skill point packs. In a single player PvE game that has a £50 price tag to start with.

Very exemplary business model. Yeah forget I said anything about it possibly being RPG of the year. More like scam of the year.

I couldn't care less about scores for JPRG games. Fans of JPRGs have abyssmal standards. I've watched an hour or so of Tales of Arise and it's bog standard stuff. If you've played any other Tales game, or most any other JRPG, you've already seen all these characters and story beats. The only recent JPRG that I thought was worth a damn, FFVII Remake, got more flack from players than most of those games do.

I'm 15 hours into the game.
The action combat in Tales of Arise is less hectic than in Tales of Berseria.
Resources/loot are rare.
All party members have a mysterious back-story.
You free the land of evil bosses.
Boss-fights are challenging.
As an Unreal-Engine game it runs great even on older hardware.

Combat and exploring-wise you can compare it with Dragon Age 1.

Fans of JPRGs have abyssmal standards.

I feel the same about fans of certain western RPGs, so I get where you're coming from!

I'm 15 hours into the game.
The action combat in Tales of Arise is less hectic than in Tales of Berseria.
Resources/loot are rare.
All party members have a mysterious back-story.
You free the land of evil bosses.
Boss-fights are challenging.
As an Unreal-Engine game it runs great even on older hardware.

Combat and exploring-wise you can compare it with Dragon Age 1.

This does sound interesting to me, and corresponds with the generally good reviews I've read. I still can't get over the fact that it has already like 30 DLC and some of them are gold/XP/skill points and such. Feels so dirty.

I feel the same about fans of certain western RPGs, so I get where you're coming from!

This does sound interesting to me, and corresponds with the generally good reviews I've read. I still can't get over the fact that it has already like 30 DLC and some of them are gold/XP/skill points and such. Feels so dirty.

To be fair, the Gold/XP and skill point DLC are totally optional. Meaning they don’t require you to grind endlessly if you don’t buy them. Having said that I agree it’s not something I like to see.

Sakichop....that name seems very familiar. And that's high praise indeed, HiddenX, did you really just compare this game to with Dragon Age: Origins? If so, that makes it far more interesting to me!

I'm getting old as I remember playing the original Tale games on the PS One. Also to parrot JFarrell71 the formula hasn't changed all that much, just the combat system.

Also yes a lot of JRPGs have useless paid DLCs for extra items, money, and xp boosters. Take a look at the Record of Agarest War series they are some of the worst examples.

Of course Tales of Arise isn't buggy. That tends to happen when you have zero ambition and basically cut and paste games that have been out for years.

Well, Tales of Arise has a unique combat system that is the key of its success and extremely high praise. It also has a unique story written by the developers exclusively for the game, and a unique character cast.

Some western RPGs are trying to copy/paste a 22 year old formula while also copying the story and characters from an already existing book, and copying a combat system that has existed for decades. And I don't mean "being inspired by". It's literally copying, and still get it wrong, and still its fans have no standards about it, just because "they are trying".

I accept that you have your preferences though. I have a similar thing with Souls-like - I will play about any decent western Souls-like game, but I can not stand eastern ones, despite the high praise they get (Skiro, Nioh, etc). Probably a cultural thing.

50 hours in and I'm enhoying this immensely. Definitely GotY for me.
(You don't need any of the DLCs btw.)

Well, Tales of Arise has a unique combat system that is the key of its success and extremely high praise. It also has a unique story written by the developers exclusively for the game, and a unique character cast.

hahah, "unique". Spoken like someone who hasn't actually played any Tales game from the past 20+ years. As someone who has played every Tales game released in North America to date save this one, the combat is THE SAME.

The irony of calling western RPGs cut and paste while (whilst?) acting like JPRGs like this one are blazing bold new ground in storytelling is painful. There are a tiny, tiny handful of creative games in that space (Nier and... pretty much just Nier) and a whole lot of games doing the same thing over and over, with decidedly non-unique characters and plots.

Back
Top Bottom