Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Beginner's Guide: Resting

Redglyph

proud GASP member
WolfheartFPS adds another episode in his Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous tutorial. This time, he gives the floor to Yuliya Chernenko, who explains the rest and corruption system on which she was working as a core mechanics senior designer. This system is an improvement over the classic "rest with rations" that was previously used in Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

You Should Really Understand This In Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous (Beginner's Guide)

In this video I will be not doing anything but letting Owlcat Games talk :-D Game dev Yuliya will be going over the camping and resting mechanics in Pathfinder WoTR. This is a very important mechanic to understand for beginners! More pathfinder content on the way, subscribe.

More information.

I don't think I have hardly given corruption a second thought yet. (end of ch3)

With characters that can eliminate fatigue & exhaustion as well as Drezen teleporter and another teleporter in the most distant bastion/fortress, there's hardly any reson to rest anywhere else. :sweatdrop:

Maybe it becomes more of an issue later on.

I laughed at the detail that the most important thing is 'resting', who? the player? :lol:

Why does everything explaining have to be a video nowadays ?

Looks like Wolfheart needs some rest :lol:

It's nice to see a confirmation that some places can be cleansed. It was fine in the beta, but when I tried shortly after release, this wasn't working anymore - at least in the Gray Garrison, the last short video. Hopefully they have fixed that.

I've occasionally hit the first level of corruption during long trips from the base or areas where you can't get back to a safe spot. Supposedly it gives you arcane spell failure, but I've never had it happen despite many castings. So either I've been very lucky or it's another bug. But nice to at least have a bug work in my favor for a change.

I'm not sure that I'd agree that the corruption system is better than the camping supply system. I guess it's flavorful to being near the abyss, but it's also a bit clunky. I give them credit for trying something different though.

My MC is an arcane caster, and I did have spells fail at the max corruption level, when I slept willy nilly. Then somone pointed out that you can simply keep on travelling even when you're exhausted and don't need to sleep. That makes no sense to me - there should be more levels than just 2 levels of fatigue, you should effectively be able to 'die from exhaustion', if you travel for weeks on end without sleeping/resting etc. The -6 penaly to STR/DEX (and some other effects) is pretty much irrelevant to most spell casters and at high levels, even fighters don't really sweat it. So I ended up travelling until exhaustion, then sleeping once before I entered some major location - and by late game, even exhausted the random encounters weren't an issue. Of course, camping supplies would have allowed this too... I think this may be an issue with PF - I have played other systems where exhaustion kept on increasing unitl you did pretty much did keel over.

My MC is an arcane caster, and I did have spells fail at the max corruption level, when I slept willy nilly. Then somone pointed out that you can simply keep on travelling even when you're exhausted and don't need to sleep. That makes no sense to me - there should be more levels than just 2 levels of fatigue, you should effectively be able to 'die from exhaustion', if you travel for weeks on end without sleeping/resting etc. The -6 penaly to STR/DEX (and some other effects) is pretty much irrelevant to most spell casters and at high levels, even fighters don't really sweat it. So I ended up travelling until exhaustion, then sleeping once before I entered some major location - and by late game, even exhausted the random encounters weren't an issue. Of course, camping supplies would have allowed this too… I think this may be an issue with PF - I have played other systems where exhaustion kept on increasing unitl you did pretty much did keel over.

I never even hit the first level of corruption during my whole playthrough, and this is one of the reasons. I traveled for full days while already at the highest exhaustion level simply because there is no penalty for it. In theory, you'd be at disadvantage if you get caught by a random encounter, but my main character was a rogue with maxed-out stealth, and 95% of the time I could just evade the encounter. When I couldn't I just reloaded, as I really couldn't be arsed with those lame random battles that only keep you from doing things that are actually fun (never understood why some games insist on implementing anti-fun mechanics like this, even in tabletop a good DM knows to not roll pointless random encounters).

In any case, later on you get the ability to teleport between settlements, which will ease your traveling woes, especially when getting back from a remote corner of the world to your home base in just one instant click.

Last edited:
So I ended up travelling until exhaustion, then sleeping once before I entered some major location - and by late game, even exhausted the random encounters weren't an issue. Of course, camping supplies would have allowed this too… I think this may be an issue with PF - I have played other systems where exhaustion kept on increasing unitl you did pretty much did keel over.
Yep, I was doing this in KM and I'm doing it right now in WotR.

Back
Top Bottom