Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Sequel in Development

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Wccf tech reports that Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio confirmed the ongoing development of a sequel for Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Here is the link to the developer's announcement.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon Sequel Confirmed as Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio Restructures

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio, the new Head Masayoshi Yokoyama (who is taking over from Toshihiro Nagoshi, reportedly going to NetEase) confirmed that a sequel for Yakuza: Like a Dragon is in development. In his letter to the studio's fans, Yokoyama-san also discussed the studio's restructuring following the departure of both Nagoshi and Daisuke Sato.

[...]

Yakuza: Like a Dragon was well received from both critics (our Kai rated the game 9.1 out of 10) and fans, so it's far from surprising to learn about a sequel. Still, those who loved Ichiban Kasuga's first adventure will be happy for the confirmation anyway.
More information.

No idea how this series is so succesful, tried a few games, got bored after some hours. Even this one, when i had to race other hobos for garbage bottles or wahtever, i said fuck it.

I liked it, but didn't finish it.. Got stuck in a part that I just can't win in an unfair boss fair, and lost the will to keep playing (was enjoying but already getting fed up, no will to grind).

Truth be told, I keep buying Yakuza's and I keep not finishing any of them. :)

I love the yakuza series. There is so much to do in them and the stories are literally nuts.

Like a dragon was a fresh take that worked out way better then I had hoped. I would love to see other games use their turnbased combat system that.

Finished 0, kiwami 1, kiwami 2 and Like a Dragon.
Is there a secret?
There is: Solve actual sidequests, don't grind, don't waste time, don't go for 100%.
What garbage bottles? Do it a couple of times to get the important thing from the store (IIRC buyable after just one "race") and say bye.

Bought other sequels ports too, but didn't have time do do them yet.
Of course I'm buying the next one too.

The success of action titles is the story concept.
In actionbased sequels you are playing the only "normal" person, everyone else is either totally crazy or kinkier than the actual hentai.
The success of the last game which has turnbased and not realtime combat, is that you are now playing one of those completely crazy people.

To cut things short.
If you are there for the story, you'll finish it.
If you are there for 100%-ing it's grindy sidecontent, better not buy.

Yeah I didn't enjoy Yakuza: Like a Dragon like the original games. I can't exactly pinpoint why but it's probably the cast of characters, and the switch to some type of TB combat.

No idea how this series is so succesful, tried a few games, got bored after some hours. Even this one, when i had to race other hobos for garbage bottles or wahtever, i said fuck it.

Same. I tried Yakuza 0, which everyone kept telling me was the best of the series, and I couldn't play it for more than a few hours.

There's obviously something there seeing as how popular they are, but whatever it is, it's not for me.

Same. I tried Yakuza 0, which everyone kept telling me was the best of the series, and I couldn't play it for more than a few hours.
Who is that everyone? I said it is not, here are a few reasons:
- the real estate minigame is better designed and more interesting in Kiwami2
- playing several minigames (dancing, karaoke) was impossible with K+M unlike Kiwamis
- some key challenges (skill unlocks) are basically a nightmare difficulty with K+M
- the MC chapter swap from Kiryu to Majima and back was not as smooth as in Kiwamis
- fishing is one of the most retarded fishing designs ever
- etc

However, if you didn't like Y0, there is no way you'd like it's sequels.
Not because of things I've mentioned.
The excessively kinky story, even kinkier sidestories and the world itself is not your pair of shoes and that's okay. Your taste. I'm aware that stuff makes some people uncomfortable. In my case I yearn for more.

Oh cool. This was a fun game, I enjoyed it a lot... up to a point. At a certain point it felt like the only way to "git good" at the game was to grind a LOT for the best items, and that generally kills the enjoyment of a game for me. If the grinding in and of itself is fun that's one thing, but it usually isn't.

The mini-games really killed it for me. You can earn unlimited money in a stock market simulator game thingy that was fun for about 15 minutes and became really old really quick. I'll never finish this game because of all the weird mini-games involved and that's probably a shame because otherwise it was fun.

If you are there for the story, you'll finish it.
If you are there for 100%-ing it's grindy sidecontent, better not buy.

I grok this, I really do. A lot of games are like this. I just felt like I couldn't really finish the game without grinding, but it's possible I was just Bad At Yakuza.

:D

"Like a Dragon" … It's one of those "powr gaming" titles … Games which promise, that the player's haracter would rise into ultimate power … And what is more powerful than a Dragon ? Nothing, in fact, at least not in most "standard" fantasy.

It's imho only a matter of time until a title like "god eater" comes out, or something like "devourer of gods".

( In my own little fantasy setting, there is only 1 kind of creature as powerful as dragons [apart from gods] : Unicorns. Go figure. :p )

"Like a Dragon" … It's one of those "powr gaming" titles … Games which promise, that the player's haracter would rise into ultimate power … And what is more powerful than a Dragon ? Nothing, in fact, at least not in most "standard" fantasy.

It's imho only a matter of time until a title like "god eater" comes out, or something like "devourer of gods".

( In my own little fantasy setting, there is only 1 kind of creature as powerful as dragons [apart from gods] : Unicorns. Go figure. :p )
Nope Alrik the games are based on the Japanese Mafia called Yakuza. It's a high position like the Italian mafia's don. Though the games are more fantasy then reality.

As for what is more powerful than a dragon, don't know, maybe other made up things that don't exist and you can attribute arbitrary power levels to, like Dracula, Thor or Goku! :D

I put many hours in Like a Dragon and story is definitely main pillar the game stands on. Its so crazy in that weird Japan way and I enjoyed it a lot. But combat, which should be the second pillar is just too easy. There are some unexpected difficulty spikes, but overall its so easy to the extent it started to feel irrelevant. Considering the amount of combat, this is what killed the game for me and why I didnt finish it.

As for what is more powerful than a dragon, don't know, maybe other made up things that don't exist and you can attribute arbitrary power levels to, like Dracula, Thor or Goku! :D

Oh, easily psionic dracolich. And that's why in my next game the antagonist is a psionic-using undead (lich) ancient wyrm dragon that, when you kill it - his chest splits open and the REAL enemy pops out, otherwise known as the "JRPG Boss" effect.

No idea where this conversation is headed but it's fun and I have a slight desire to write up a 5E Dracolich now with some form of tagged on psionics. Hmm.

Back
Top Bottom