Non-RPG General News - Top 10 Games from the 70's

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Ye Old Entertainment revisits the top games of his youth.

Top 10 video games from the seventies. Space Invaders, Asteroids, Zork. Which one is your favorite?

Today with start with some old time favorites from the days of the Atari 2600, the amiga and the commodore 64. Some of them are definitely still a BLAST to play today. I'll love some links for you to check them out for yourselves:

[...]

More information.

Don't worry, there's an RPG in the list.

Temple of Apshai? I never played that one, but I used to love Adventure and Zork when I was a kid. Even though they aren't really RPGs, they helped ignite that spark in me.

I didn't realize Zork was that old. I guess it had already been out a long time when I played it.

The only game on this list I have played in original version, would be "Sprint 2" that I strangely remember playing onboard a ship/ferry between Sweden & England, maybe back in 80-81. (my first trip abroad I believe)

Apart from that, I have naturally played tons of Breakout/Arkanoid versions and I still have an ancient handheld "Space Invaders" unit somewhere deep in the attic. Lol, as I recall it has the aliens painted on a revolving roll of old film and was a very poor imitiation of the real thing. :p

Sad that I never got to try "Temple of Apshai" though. :'(

Temple of Apshai is a wonderful game, I'd play it now had I not given away my former systems. Oh man, those games of yesterday, we honestly no idea how great we had it. Granted there were plenty that didn't appeal to me, yet the ones that did stuck, and generally took a great deal of time (and graph paper!) to properly resolve. Adventure is a tad basic, even back a few years ago, yet I remember investing some time in that one as well.

My parents hadn't even met so…

I'm sure they were all good games!

Geez, you make me feel old, Nereida ;)

I played every game on the list except the racing one.

Geez, you make me feel old, Nereida ;)

I played every game on the list except the racing one.

Age is a state of mind, especially in the internet!

I intend to be 25 years old for the rest of my life! Been there for a while already. :D

Played most of those. Adventure was the one i spent the most time with. The items would be random so every time you played it would be a different game. It was probably the first game i played that had more than one screen so it really was cutting edge for its time.

Adventure was fun because you could screw around with it a lot.

Set the game so the dragons are afraid of the sword. The yellow dragon is also afraid of one of the keys. Stick that key on one screen, the sword on the screen next to it, then put some other item between the two. Coax the bat into grabbing the yellow dragon and note the direction its flying as you grab the bat. Take the bat to the appropriate spot so it will head toward the between-item and wait a while so the bat wants to switch items. Let it go. It swaps the dragon for the whatever-you-left, leaving the dragon between two things it fears. It will bounce back and forth between the two screens, unable to escape.

Then go to bed. That dragon has eaten more children than you can count in your lifetime, give it a night of pure terror! In the morning, get up and move the sword close to where it is bouncing back and forth so it knows what's coming. Go have breakfast. Then come back and slowly move the sword closer until.. BBEEAAUUU!!! Justice (well, more like terrible, sadistic revenge) is served.
Age is a state of mind, especially in the internet!
Your back and/or knees and/or eyes and/or ears and/or teeth will inform you otherwise in years to come. ;)

I must have seen derivative of some of those games in the arcade, when we sneaked away from school at noon. But it was in the 80's.

Breakout, asteroids and variants of invaders were found everywhere. One that impressed me was Marble Madness, it was a clever work.

Temple of Apshai is one of the first entries in The CPRG Book, but I haven't played it.

Last edited:
The whole video gives me early childhood flashbacks and I was born in 1981. Yep my first foray into gaming was the Atari system and the first Nintendo in the early 90's.:)

I must have seen derivative of some of those games in the arcade, when we sneaked away from school at noon. But it was in the 80's.

Breakout, asteroids and variants of invaders were found everywhere. One that impressed me was Marble Madness, it was a clever work.

Temple of Apshai is one of the first entries in The CPRG Book, but I haven't played it.

Yeah, most of these games had huge longevity and were still knocking around throughout the 80s. They were the 70s version of the IE games or Skyrim or whatever, constantly getting ported to each new operating system.

I remember enjoying all of these in my childhood but I tried some of them a couple years ago using emulators and can’t agree that they are still a blast today. I got bored almost immediately.

Played about half of them. That was back when having a pocket calculator was the ultimate nerd symbol. Good times.

Honestly, I probably played those portable football games more than anything else back in the seventies. Anyone remember those, running and passing with floating blips? Now that was high-end tech!

Back
Top Bottom