Might & Magic X - Back on Steam

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Might & Magic X is back on Steam with a fix for the issue that prevented players completing the game. Ubisoft have made the DLC free if you own the base game.

Might & Magic X - Legacy Announcement

On June 1st, we made the decision to remove Might & Magic X - Legacy from sale following an unexpected issue that occurred after we shut down various services for security reasons, which prevented players to access some parts of the game and its DLCs. Our teams have spent the last few months investigating and testing the different solutions to make sure players' experience lives up to our standards in terms of quality of service.

Today, we're happy to announce that all conditions are met to bring the game back to the Ubisoft Store and to Steam, and that new and returning players can now venture into the wide and mysterious world of Ashan again. In addition to the base game, we also took this opportunity to give all fans of Might & Magic X - Legacy the freedom to extend their adventure by accessing the DLC "The Falcon & the Unicorn", entirely for free.
More information.

Nice. Wonder if the HDR flickering in the elemental forge and certain npcs was fixed…

edit: actually, doesn't seem like Ubisoft really cares about that issue, but there *does* seem to be a fix available now using the Vulkan API. Link

Crispy™ has Might & Magic X - Legacy May 16 @ 9:27pm
I believe I've stumbled upon a fix for this problem!

Rendering M&M X in Vulkan mode appears to have cured the flickering/shimmering problem for the enemies in the Elemental Forge area! Since using this simple drag-and-drop injector (simple instructions below), the enemies in my testing so far in the forge look perfect!

I haven't tested the Shadow Dragon yet or many other enemies yet.

Here's how to install:

1. Go to https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/tag/v1.8.1

2. Download dxvk-1.8.1.tar.gz

3. Unpack dxvk-1.8.1.tar.gz using 7-Zip

4. Now you have to unpack (again) dxvk-1.8.1 which was unpacked in step 3.

5. Go to the dxvk-1.8.1\x32 folder (NOT the x64 version -- M&M X is a native 32-bit program)

6. Copy everything in there to your M&M X location, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Might & Magic X - Legacy

7. Launch the game, that's it!

Edit: Confirmed the Shadow Dragon looks completely normal now!

I hope this helps someone. Happy dungeon crawling!

Very nice. Might be time to play this again.

Last edited:
Ahhh, well, t'was only a matter of time. I played this back near when it launched, thanks to a friend, then actually broke down and bought the thing sometime later. What I'm wondering is, can it be played without actually using Ubijunk?

Excellent map design, especially in the adventuring areas. Good fights! Needs a big monitor tho.. So, later.

Well it took them long enough, but I am happly they restored the game. Will have to do a 3rd playthrough.

Ahhh, well, t'was only a matter of time. I played this back near when it launched, thanks to a friend, then actually broke down and bought the thing sometime later. What I'm wondering is, can it be played without actually using Ubijunk?

It automatically launches Uplay, just like Steam games automatically launches the Steam app. You might find a hack online, if you are really desperate.

Whilst Ubisoft have certainly handled this affair badly (this should have happened months ago), in all fairness to them the resolution is the best we could really hope (short of no DRM at all)….

1) Game is available again

2) Game is playable start to finish

3) DLC is now available for everyone

It has prompted me to re-install my boxed copy (well, via Uplay), and a tip on the Steam forum has fixed my graphics issues (caused by nvidia drivers).

Snipped my instructions for fixing, as I just realised that the first reply above includes the fix info copy/pasted from Steam forum.

Yeah, I played well before the additional content came along, that's making the urge a bit more pronounced than usual. Unless I have to deal with Ubijunk, at which point the urge simply fades away.

There was no need to pirate. The issue had been fixed by the community already. It's pretty embarrassing how long it has taken UbiSoft to deliver their own patch for an issue that never should have existed with proper planning and anticipation in the first place.

This was a cool game. I remember being surprised that it didn't get more love when it came out. I played it without any problems. I forget if I played the DLC or not though; I have to check.

Although I had a boxed copy, it effectively registered itself on Uplay originally, so I simply re-downloaded the game on this PC (I re-installed Windows a few months back, so it hadn't been re-installed since). I used "Ubisoft Connect" which seems to be the current name of the abomination that was Uplay. Honestly, I don't see what the fuss is about - every supplier seems to have its own launcher now, and they're all just as bad as each other. It didn't crash or otherwise mess up, and paused/resumed DL ok.

I had no trouble running the game and starting up the expansion. As far as I can see, Uplay version is fine. However, it is possible I bypassed the problem by having an old save right at the beginning of the expansion (I never actually played it, but had an autosave at the beginning of the prison).

Either way, the only mod I have done on top of the Uplay download is the DirectX fix described in the first post. It feels like enough time has passed for me to be able to enjoy a second playthrough.

This has been a pain in the ass. Apparently I had a different Ubisoft account back in 2014 and forgot that I did because I didn't play another UbiSoft title until Far Cry 5 about five years later. So I logged in the wrong account and the game key is tied to another and... kinda typical ubisoft nightmare. Trying to get the game to tie to another Ubisoft account now from Steam.

There was no need to pirate. The issue had been fixed by the community already. It's pretty embarrassing how long it has taken UbiSoft to deliver their own patch for an issue that never should have existed with proper planning and anticipation in the first place.
"This is an all-in-one fix that gives you back access to every unlockable in the game"
Nice!

funny I own this and had no idea hhehhee

Nice to see classic games returning to steam. I know this is one of those series that a lot of old school rpg players were fanatic about. I missed most of these series because I was not into rpgs in the 1990s, as I was more into typical young adult stuff like sports and also played chess a lot and poker too at that time.

I didn't start playing crpgs until I played Baldur's Gate, which blew me away, and then I was hooked.

Why I don't go back and play some of these old school series (meaning ones from the 1990s and 1980s) is I tend to just find the graphics too archaic for my tastes, just something I will readily admit to.

Back
Top Bottom