Guardians of the Galaxy - Review Round-Up

Redglyph

proud GASP member
RPG Fan: 87/100, Marvel has a new champion in the video game realm, so make mine Guardians of the Galaxy

• (+) Story is hilarious even when it's heart-wrenching; player choice impresses; frantic combat is fun; visuals are out of this world.
  • (-) Enemy AI needs work; combat not as deep as it looks.
GamesRadar: 4/5, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy tells an utterly memorable story, with brilliant takes on the Guardians themselves, even if the gameplay could be more adventurous at times.

• (+) MCU level storytelling; fantastic world-building; great take on the beloved Guardians cast.
  • (-) Puzzle repetition; some decisions feel out of your hands.
PCInvasion: 8.5/10, The plot meanders and the game is somewhat too long, but it's still a great time and well worth experiencing for Guardians fans.

GamesIndustry.biz: Critics suggest that much like the space-faring super heroes involved, Eidos-Montréal's is basically good but a little rough around the edges

Wccf Tech: 8/10, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is a highly enjoyable action/adventure romp that never strays from the beaten path. You won't find any major experiments or innovations here, but you will experience a great adaptation of the beloved dysfunctional team of galactic superheroes. The story and characters are well written, the combat is fun (if perhaps a bit too easy), and the audio is excellent.

• (+) The Guardians of the Galaxy spirit is perfectly captured; well-written characters and story; amazing audio (both music and VA); fun combat...
  • (-) ...although it is too easy, diminishing the need for Huddle; there's no real innovations, and the exploration is ordinary stuff.
GameRant: 4/5, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy features an emotional and hilarious story, immersive decisions, and combat that's exciting if a bit bloated.

RPG Site: 8/10

Destructoid: 6.5/10

TechRadar: 4/5

• (+) Laugh-out loud moments; brilliant, witty writing; great use of '80s licensed music; fleshed-out universe.
  • (-) Story feels drawn out; combat is boring and repetitive; environments lack depth.
TheGamer: 4/5

• (+) Perfect soundtrack; best Guardians story so far; funny, short and not just Marvel funny
  • (-) Dated conventions like eagle vision; can feel repetitive; combat is rubbish when everything is in cooldown.

More information.

Not the kind of game I'd normally play but I have to say it does look rather fun - and seems to have more depth than one would normally expect from this sort of game!

it does look rather fun - and seems to have more depth than one would normally expect from this sort of game!

Well, Im not sure. Many reviews agree that combat is boring. Which was my impression too from gameplay videos.

Techradar is funny - "Story feels drawn out; combat is boring and repetitive; environments lack depth." and then 4/5?? Ridiculous and untrustworthy score - you can easily imagine many AA or indie games with similar evaluation who would get 2/5. 3/5 at best.

It seems that many sites hype the score up because… its Guardians of the Galaxy.

Well, Im not sure. Many reviews agree that combat is boring. Which was my impression too from gameplay videos.

Techradar is funny - "Story feels drawn out; combat is boring and repetitive; environments lack depth." and then 4/5?? Ridiculous and untrustworthy score - you can easily imagine many AA or indie games with similar evaluation who would get 2/5. 3/5 at best.

It seems that many sites hype the score up because… its Guardians of the Galaxy.

I agree most review sites are a bit worthless, which is why my thoughts are mostly based on watching some gameplay. I will say I did watch ACG's review - but they're a reviewer I feel I know and trust.

I had never heard of this until a couple of days ago, and I had never heard of this franchise (I don't watch most movies). Since then I've watched several reviews and I'm pretty sure I will enjoy this game, though I'm going to wait as I have other games to finish.

If I understand correctly, the team which created this game also created the two recent Deus Ex games Human Revolution and Mankind Divided, which in my view are both great.

Those are some surprisingly high scores for expected junk indeed. Seems like there are some "RPG" sites too which I have never heard of. I wonder whether the game is actually good or has Disney paid/trolled some sites to give the game a better score than it should have. Interesting to hear even though I am unlikely to pick this game up any time soon. I did enjoy the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie, though. The hamster was the best!

I am sure everyone can find it, but here is the Metacritic site: https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/marvels-guardians-of-the-galaxy/critic-reviews

I know somebody's opinion about PC gamer, but I also know where they stand. They conclude "A surprisingly good time when you're not forced to reload your checkpoint after a game-breaking bug." Perhaps it is a good game then…Still clearly not for me.

Here's the first hour+ of the game without commentary if anyone is curious.

It looks fun if you're up for some mindless action. Also, people who liked the dialogue in the movies will probably like this.

Thanks, @JDR13;. Looks like a fun brainless action indeed. I do like the dialogue for a few minutes until I get annoyed by it. Perhaps in a couple of years when it is discounted and patched...

To be honest I was surprised by the results too. The pros and cons mostly agree between the reviewers, too, so that picture must be relatively correct.

I am sure everyone can find it, but here is the Metacritic site: https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/marvels-guardians-of-the-galaxy/critic-reviews
It's interesting to see that the distribution of user scores on Metacritic is better than the critic scores, which is usually not the case.

Not for me either, even if I enjoy the movies.

Well at least its a real game adventure and not some dead after a month looter shooter like Avengers. A lot of the marvel properties could work well with these light RPG elements, I hope it does well for them

It's interesting to see that the distribution of user scores on Metacritic is better than the critic scores, which is usually not the case.

Idk, I've seen a lot of games & films where the user score was higher. I'd say it's probably close to 50/50.

The more honest review in the batch published here is Destructoid's (6.5/10).

All the others: "combat is repetitive, it's not deep it's bloated, rubbish, AI needs rework" and then the scores 80, 85, 87… Haha, gu-reat! If you wanna be a serious reviewer you should forget about the studio behind the game, the IP behind the game and do a more unbiased job.

The more honest review in the batch published here is Destructoid's (6.5/10).

All the others: "combat is repetitive, it's not deep it's bloated, rubbish, AI needs rework" and then the scores 80, 85, 87.. Haha, gu-reat! If you wanna be a serious reviewer you should forget about the studio behind the game, the IP behind the game and do a more unbiased job.
The developer is Eidos-Montréal the same studio who developed the newer Deus Ex games. It's also the same engine but they seem to have bad luck since then.

The blame is probably better pointed at Square Enix Europe their parent company.
Well at least its a real game adventure and not some dead after a month looter shooter like Avengers. A lot of the marvel properties could work well with these light RPG elements, I hope it does well for them
Yeah it's much better then their last Marvel game.:nod:

Much like the two Guardians of the Galaxy movies, only the first Deus Ex games were good (the first of the original/the first of the 2012 reboot). The scores are really silly here. Read the review(s) of your choice, which seem relatively honest, but ignore the scores completely. Could be a fun game in the future with a deep sale.

Much like the two Guardians of the Galaxy movies, only the first Deus Ex games were good (the first of the original/the first of the 2012 reboot). The scores are really silly here. Read the review(s) of your choice, which seem relatively honest, but ignore the scores completely. Could be a fun game in the future with a deep sale.

Eh? Deus Ex was never rebooted. Human Revolution and Mankind Divided were prequels, and I actually think the latter is superior.

Yea, if someone asked me what they should play between Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human revolution, I would tell them to pick Human Revolution 7 days a week.

With this game, I'm in simply for the humorous banter and the 80s soundtrack that plays during combat. It may not be the deepest of RPGs, not much customization and extremely linear, but everything I've seen makes this look like a good time. Then again, I am a big fan of the Guardians movies...

Back
Top Bottom