Valve's Cancelled Stars Of Blood - Concept Art Online

Redglyph

SasqWatch
TheGamer reports that concept art for Valve's cancelled game Stars of Blood is shared online.

Concept Art For Cancelled Valve Game, Stars Of Blood, Shared Online

Fans have found concept art for the Valve game that got away.

Stars of Blood was cancelled before it had even been publicly mentioned. Valve's Gabe Newell nonchalantly alluded to it in a 2012 Q&A, and given the lack of information, it failed to capture the gaming community's imagination in a way that other canned projects have. That has all changed today, however, as Twitter account Obscure Game Aesthetics came across an archive full of eyecatching concept art.

The archives are public, so you can check them out for yourself. What we see is absolutely fascinating - with unique character designs, completely original creatures that roam the planets, and intricately detailed space crafts all created for the unfinished project. Whatever it was for, this was clearly a world that a lot of creatives put a great deal of effort into crafting.

The art we see is incredibly varied. Some are almost retro-futuristic in nature, even crossing over into fantasy. Whereas other pieces come across as more dystopian, as we more often see in contemporary sci-fi. It appears that the world of Stars of Blood would have been full of different human cultures, as the character designs can be wildly different, particularly in terms of clothing. The settlements are all unique from one another too, as some are the grand, grey spaceports you'd see in Star Wars, and others seem built upon sand and rock. There's even a medieval castle in one image, juxtaposed with a starship flying over it.

[...]
More information.

At some of the least the "environments" look very similar to Star Wars.
There are other influences very much noticeable, imho.
My guess is now that this might be the reason why it was cancelled.

Ok, I was finally able to view it, and yeah, some pretty neat artwork in there. I especially liked the environments and some of the ships and robots.

I wonder what the finished game would have been like. The only things I'm assuming are that it would have used the Source Engine and been in first-person. Either way, I would have rather they released that than those Left 4 Dead games.

Holy shit, a lot of that is fantastic.
Apparently it was a "space pirates" game? That would have been great.
Yep it indeed sounded and looked good.:nod:

Though as usual Valve has no idea how to make games anymore. Just look at Half-life they milked the IP for nostalgia and haven't released part three in decades.

Much easier to make money off other developers games on Steam.

Definitely looks like something I'd have played. Shame.

"Art" in those folders looks like arse. Probably a real art director took a look and told them to can it. How many millions of dollars did Valve burn on this trash?

Just for my curiosity, and because I have to put up with those comments all the time here and in other threads, how old are you?
He's not half as bad as some members who shan't be named. One sounded like a rouge bot all the time, and the other was a fanatic christian. You would have loved them.

Anyhow I'm waiting for him to release his game and see the shoe on the other foot.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Yeah, the environment concept art pieces look good. Oh, well. The space monkey game is still in the making as far as I know...Starfield too. Not many space RPGs since the Mass Effects.

Just for my curiosity, and because I have to put up with those comments all the time here and in other threads… how old are you?
You don't have to. Just put him on ignore. I recommend it.
Couchpotato said:
One sounded like a rouge bot all the time
Are you're meaning Chien? I don't understand him most of the time, but at least he's interesting. :)

Space monkey game? :thinking:

The Ubisoft one which may or may not release one day. At least the first gameplay trailer I saw looked promising. They lacked gravity modelling in that demo, though.

The Ubisoft one which may or may not release one day. At least the first gameplay trailer I saw looked promising. They lacked gravity modelling in that demo, though.
I'm guessing you mean Beyond Good and Evil 2? It's also not an RPG.

I'm guessing you mean Beyond Good and Evil 2? It's also not an RPG.

It was advertised as an action RPG back in the days when Witcher 3 came out.

I guess the same way as Assasin's Creeds. They are RPGs for Ubisoft.

It was advertised as an action RPG back in the days when Witcher 3 came out.

I guess the same way as Assasin's Creeds. They are RPGs for Ubisoft.
Probably but the franchise itself never was. I'm sure Steam will label it an RPG.:biggrin:
Beyond Good and Evil 2 is an upcoming action-adventure video game developed by Ubisoft Montpellier and published by Ubisoft. It is a prequel to Beyond Good & Evil, released in 2003. Its development was characterized in the media by uncertainty, doubt and rumors about the game's future.

Back
Top Bottom