Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Review @ Mortismal Gaming

I didn't watch the hole video, but only some comment on the end. He said:
  • not perfect, some bugs
  • crusade management is not for everyone
  • one of the best he had ever played
I'm not finished yet, but so far I agree.

I think the review is fair.

He does tend to get lost into details and to hit every verbal tic he has accumulated with time ("which brings me to", "without further ado", "now, ", "with that out of the way") which gets irritating after a while. He's very build-oriented too. But I have to agree when he says the game can be intimidating to new players, something we tend to forget once we have spent so much time on the first or both games. The tutorial goes a long way to help though.

In the real negative points, it's really the crusade system that I would put at the top. And in the positive, it's indeed all those choices we get, and how the story and the quests adapt to them. Even slight differences in the dialogues, it's astonishing.

EDIT: what I find amazing, in a way, is how he could get all the achievements in a game like this, that must have taken an insane amount of time!

But I have to agree when he says the game can be intimidating to new players, something we tend to forget once we have spent so much time on the first or both games.
Yep, imho the mythic path is mechanically a problem for not so experienced players. I'm a bittorn here because from a roleplaying perspective the paths are really cool. Perhaps they should have gone with some simple mode here where the mythic path is auto-leveled.

I agree also. While I like Crusader management, I find somethings poorly explained, and I would have prefered a more detailed codex page on this. For example, I totally missed at the beginning of chapter 3 that you could no longer recruit troops until you constructed buildings. At this point I can recruit 3 unit types (basic archers, infantry, and mounted scouts) it would be nice to know how you can unlock other troop types or be able to see how many unit slots a leader has.
I've also ran into many minor bugs. I have two mounted characters and a lot of bugs seem related to this.
Otherwise its an awesome game. I like it much more than Kingmaker, and that was an excellent game.

I agree also. While I like Crusader management, I find somethings poorly explained, and I would have prefered a more detailed codex page on this. For example, I totally missed at the beginning of chapter 3 that you could no longer recruit troops until you constructed buildings. At this point I can recruit 3 unit types (basic archers, infantry, and mounted scouts) it would be nice to know how you can unlock other troop types or be able to see how many unit slots a leader has.
I've also ran into many minor bugs. I have two mounted characters and a lot of bugs seem related to this.
Otherwise its an awesome game. I like it much more than Kingmaker, and that was an excellent game.

Very much looking forward to playing this.

Mounted combat for a classic single player, party-based RPG seems kind of weird to me. Guess maybe because no one has ever really done it well. Hopefully they will work out all the bugs.

It will be a good RPG once Owlcat stops the patching and releases the DLC in a enhanced edition then I can recommend it. So keep playing the game beta testers.

As for which game was better Kingmaker is the better game in my opinion.:)

It will be a good RPG once Owlcat stops the patching and releases the DLC in a enhanced edition then I can recommend it. So keep playing the game beta testers.

It's a close race, MC users give them 7.6 and 7.5 global scores respectively. Pretty much down to personal preference. To me, WotR was more bearable, thanks to default TB mode, even if it was glitchy as hell when I played the game, it was something that you could live with once you learned to skitter your way around the bugs.

The story was fine, but scarce and limited compared to playing the actual Adventure Path on PnP. I very much recommend it for those who want to get the full grandeur of what the Wrath of the Righteous story really is like, especially if you got a good DM and some friends to do this kind of thing with.

Almost there but not quite. ;)
What did you prefer in Kingmaker?

The story was fine, but scarce and limited compared to playing the actual Adventure Path on PnP. I very much recommend it for those who want to get the full grandeur of what the Wrath of the Righteous story really is like, especially if you got a good DM and some friends to do this kind of thing with.
Perhaps they're afraid that too much story would put many people off? There's already a good share compared to many other games, and besides, since they offer multiple paths that depend on choices, class, mythic path and so on, more story would drive them crazy during the test phase.

Perhaps they're afraid that too much story would put many people off? There's already a good share compared to many other games, and besides, since they offer multiple paths that depend on choices, class, mythic path and so on, more story would drive them crazy during the test phase.

What I heard was the opposite - people who played original AP said Owlcats did fantastic job at fleshing out both the story and mythic.

In PnP you don't get to choose a mythic path, you make your own as you play dynamically through the story. Imagination and your DM's creativity is the only limit. I imagine people who say otherwise are Owlcat fans, and can't blame them. People praise studios that bring to life games they like, nothing wrong with that.

It will be a good RPG once Owlcat stops the patching and releases the DLC in a enhanced edition then I can recommend it.
While the game is (obviously) not perfect, at this time it definitly is a good game. With all patches and DLC being done it will be a very good game (for gamers who like this type of games).

But yeah, youre right that the release again wasn't done well. So with their next game I'll again wait for a few weeks before I start playing. That had been a good strategy with WotR as I could (and can) play it quite close to release without gamebreaking bugs.

Back
Top Bottom