General News - Review of The Legend of Final Fantasy IX

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPG Fan reviewed the 3rd edition of The Legend of Final Fantasy IX book.

RPGFan Chapters Review: Third Editions' 'The Legend of Final Fantasy IX'

Before any digital ink is spilled, allow me to clarify. This essay marks RPGFan's first coverage of a Third Editions published book. I would prefer it not to be our last. Whatever quibbles I might have over particular volumes, I believe RPGFan and Third Editions to be of a like mind. We love games, RPGs especially, and care about their themes beyond some breathless rush to declare them art. There is no self-interest in elevating our hobby. We're just out here writing for...well, for the love of the game.

[...]

Conclusions

The Legend of Final Fantasy IX is an intriguing analytical work that buries its best creative readings under a mountain of disjointed fluff. The Third Editions' house style feels restrictive in this and other volumes, showing its limits when pitched to a more specialized audience.

Still, Third Editions is an ambitious publisher worth a deep dive for any fan of game analysis. Even if The Legend of Final Fantasy IX has some misses, it made me think harder about one of my favorite games than I ever had to before.
More information.

By the way, if there are fans of FF, I saw a KS campaign for a unofficial reference of the game series:

The Legacy of the Crystal will serve as an informative reference work containing detailed information about the many games that relate to, and in some cases are heavily inspired by, Final Fantasy. The 1st draft of the manuscript is almost complete with work now underway on the layout and editing, as well as collating excerpts from various contributors.

This is a book that has been created for Final Fantasy enthusiasts, but also those who're collectors and are interested in history. It will detail every game in chronological order, segmented by the various eras of the company, and we hope it will serve as an authoritative historical work on the subject of Final Fantasy.

FF is not my thing and I haven't looked at the details, so for what it's worth. The campaign has already reached the goal several times over.

I'm a big fan of at least the early Final Fantasy games, so thanks for passing this along. Not sure if I'd kick into this project yet I'll at least read up and see what the pitch itself truly looks like.

Back
Top Bottom