Non-RPG General News - Game Awards 2021 Nominees

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Kotaku comments on the Game Awards 2021 nominee list.

The Game Awards Nominees Have Been Announced And Deathloop Is Killing It

The Game Awards nominations for 2021 are in.

Every year, The Game Awards are an exciting moment to celebrate the best releases of the past year. Host and creator Geoff Keighley will be broadcasting live from Los Angeles for the annual event in December. Game Awards nomination day is usually a source of much discourse on the socials. Who was venerated? Who was snubbed? The discourse rages.

Game Awards nomination day for 2021 began bright and early this morning. The nominees for each category were announced. Arkane Studios' Deathloop leads the way with nine nominations including Game of the Year and Best Game Direction. It was followed by Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart with 6 nominations. It Takes Two and Psychonauts 2 tied with 5 nominations each. The total combined nominations of Deathloop and Psychonauts 2 are a huge deal for the Xbox/Bethesda alliance, leading the publishers race with 20 nods overall. Deathloop was, of course, Bethesda's final PlayStation exclusive as a stand-alone company. Housemarque's PS5 exclusive Returnal missed out on a GOTY nom, but did pick up a Best Direction nod.

The full list of nominees is as follows: [...]
More information.

I have heard that Deathloop was interesting, but some players couldn't get familiar with the mechanics, but on the other hand, not many bigger games was released. I was searching the list of released games and it seems like Cernobylite left early access, and there was Biomutant, which for some youtubers had unbalanced gameplay, but I would give them some artistic award, because the game was so creative. Then there are isometric/card games like Pathfinder, Griftlands and Ascent - I saw review of Griftlands when it was in EA and it looked really innovative.

I suppose the audience is just bigger for that type of game.

Wow, I hadn't realized there were so many mistakes in that article though. The choice of websites was rather poor when I posted this, the others had technical issues. But the list remains understandable, at least phonetically. :D

Well these are the GOT nominees.
Game of the Year

• Deathloop (Arcane Studios/Bethesda)
  • It Takes Two (Hazelight Studios/EA)
  • Metroid Dread (Mercury Steam/Nintendo)
  • Psychonauts 2 (Double Fine/Xbox Game Studios)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Insomniac Games/SIE)
  • Resident Evil Village (Capcom)
So Deathloop winning is probably a given.:nod:

Now as for the nominees for Best RPG well you can tell who will win already.
Best Role Playing

• Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt Red)
  • Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom)
  • Scarlet Nexus (Bandai Namco)
  • Shin Megami Tensei V (Atlus/Sega)
  • Tales of Arise (Bandai Namco)
Cyberpunk 2077 of course unless one of those JRPGs pulls a miracle.:thinking:

Last edited:
I suppose the audience is just bigger for that type of game.
I have heard that Deathloop was interesting, but some players couldn't get familiar with the mechanics, but on the other hand, not many bigger games was released. I was searching the list of released games and it seems like Cernobylite left early access, and there was Biomutant, which for some youtubers had unbalanced gameplay, but I would give them some artistic award, because the game was so creative. Then there are isometric/card games like Pathfinder, Griftlands and Ascent - I saw review of Griftlands when it was in EA and it looked really innovative.

Well these are mostly awards for mainstream games and the media. So I'm not surprised at the absence of smaller niche RPGs and such. It's always been this way every year.

12 minutes may actually tempt me, I'm just not sure about the loop idea. Anyone here played this game?

I like the graphic style of Death's Door :) That's probably not the type of game I'd enjoy right now though.

MSFS 2020 is a very nice effort, perhaps one day if it gets aircraft with a good flight model from some of the great companies like A2A. It's a costly hobby though. The idea they mapped the whole world is enticing, but it requires a good bandwidth and storage capacity. I'm still baffled it was made by Asobo Studio, the same who did A Plague Tale.

Of the two lists I only know Deathloop and Cyberpunk. I played and loved Deathloop (wrote about it in the finished games thread).

With Cyberpunk I am in a similar state as I was in for many years for The Witcher 3: Played it for about six hours and simply felt no urge to play on. Not because it was bad, but simply because it didn't grip me.

I retried TW 3 this year and managed to play it completely (even twice). Several people here gave me hints, how to play it in order to get into it (thanks again to all of you). Now t is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

May be the same happens for me with CP 2077 in a few years?

Have not heard of any of the other games in the two lists and none of them compels me to even look it up.

Back
Top Bottom