Deathloop - Video Review

Yeah, so, sure, this totally-not-an-RPG style FPS gets a post because its from Arkane, who made Arx Fatalis, and published by Bethesda, who made Elder Scrolls!

But, you know, that's really not as cool as it sounds.

I'm pretty sure all the original devs have left Arkane because Bethesda is, in fact, a horrible publisher who won't give them any creative freedom. Arkane sold out, like id software, and now they have to pump out more of "what they do", which is Dishonoured clones. Same as id will be allowed to make DOOM or maybe Quake or Wolf3d but there will be no risk taking on new IPs. Bethesda, jealous of Call of Duty's ability to reboot the same game annually, just wants some cash cows.

Sure, the new DOOM games are good and the Dishonoured games are good but I really don't think there's much to celebrate with this release. Certainly not enough to make an exception and post an FPS based on the pedigree that doesn't actually exist. This isn't the Arkane that made Arx or Dishonoured. Just ask the founding members who felt forced to leave the company they poured their heart and soul into for 20 years. Allow me to be their champion.

And Bethesda? You know why they've hardly started making Elder Scrolls 6? Because there's no point. There's no motivation. Why? Because Skyrim is still selling. They really don't have any passion for games. The only reason they're making Starfield is to chase the Star Citizen dollar. Todd Howard, LOL.

Yeah, so, sure, this totally-not-an-RPG style FPS gets a post because its from Arkane, who made Arx Fatalis, and published by Bethesda, who made Elder Scrolls!

But, you know, that's really not as cool as it sounds.

I'm pretty sure all the original devs have left Arkane because Bethesda is, in fact, a horrible publisher who won't give them any creative freedom. Arkane sold out, like id software, and now they have to pump out more of "what they do", which is Dishonoured clones. Same as id will be allowed to make DOOM or maybe Quake or Wolf3d but there will be no risk taking on new IPs. Bethesda, jealous of Call of Duty's ability to reboot the same game annually, just wants some cash cows.

Sure, the new DOOM games are good and the Dishonoured games are good but I really don't think there's much to celebrate with this release. Certainly not enough to make an exception and post an FPS based on the pedigree that doesn't actually exist. This isn't the Arkane that made Arx or Dishonoured. Just ask the founding members who felt forced to leave the company they poured their heart and soul into for 20 years. Allow me to be their champion.

And Bethesda? You know why they've hardly started making Elder Scrolls 6? Because there's no point. There's no motivation. Why? Because Skyrim is still selling. They really don't have any passion for games. The only reason they're making Starfield is to chase the Star Citizen dollar. Todd Howard, LOL.
May be you should inform yourself about the game instead of trolling?

I am glad that this was posted on this site. I prefer to err on the side of more coverage than less, and when I see something I don't like (such as not-an-RPG) then I'll know to skip it.

I enjoyed the Dishonoured games and especially Prey, but I have no interest in Deathloop as it doesn't seem interesting to me at all.

I am glad that this was posted on this site. I prefer to err on the side of more coverage than less, and when I see something I don't like (such as not-an-RPG) then I'll know to skip it.

I enjoyed the Dishonoured games and especially Prey, but I have no interest in Deathloop as it doesn't seem interesting to me at all.

My question would be: On which amount of information did you base this conclusion?

My feeling is very different: For everybody, who liked Dishonored and/prey, there is a good chance that they also like Deathloop.

You can call it a design flaw in the game that you need to play it for more than 15 minutes in order to see that it is more than a shooter. Unfortunately it takes at least that long, until you find your first "power" similar to those in the Dishonored games.

Also I would have preferred if you could complete the game without killing anybody like in Dishonored, which is not the case. While you get an achievement for not killing any normal enemy on a map, you need to kill a certain number of "bosses". On the other hand this is based in the story because it is a requirement in order to break the loop. Aside from this you can play it completely stealthily like in Dishonored.

Side note: I am just asking myself if a complete stealth walkthrough is possible in Prey. With regard to humans yes, but with regard to aliens I don't think so. There are some forced situations too, I believe (e.g. destroying some technicians (?) in order to get machinery to work).

Back
Top Bottom