Urban Strife - November Update

Redglyph

SasqWatch
White Pond Games posted a healthy update about the development of Urban Strife.

Urban Strife - November 2020 Development Update

Health/Wounds, Immolation, Stamina with Pain and Exhaustion Systems Explained

What is new

Life & Body Parts Health

Urban Strife is about combat and survival so all things considered, we decided to turn health into a system, instead of a character stat. LIFE, or overall health, has a very special meter. Life meter is, of course, critical because once it reaches zero, you are dead. This being said, body parts have their own internal HP too and damage received by them is weighted differently when applied to a NPC's life. For example, a head shot will do about 3x damage to global health, but a wounded hand will have a much smaller effect. This makes body armor (that protects the head and the torso) way more important and leaving the limbs exposed avoids the Juggernaut effect (which is not desirable in a survival, low-tech game). Killing an armored enemy simply by attacking the limbs is a difficult feat, but bleeding and crippling will severely impact his/her combat ability so at least you have a fighting chance.

Bleeding

Any attack type can generate a bleed tick so for each wound you will lose a small amount of HP, over time. Of course, a blade will cause worse bleeding than a blunt weapon. If someone in your group is bleeding, that character will try to remind you, from time to time, to patch him/her up. You should do so because, while not overly aggressive (unless you are full of holes), bleeding drains from global health directly, no matter where the wound is located. This can cause massive life loss if left unattended. First because these "bleeding ticks" are cumulative so more holes means more gushing blood. Second because it will take a while for the bleeding to stop on its own and the wound to close. If you bandage early, you'll avoid losing a lot of HP and keep fighting. Of course, trauma itself will remove a portion of your life, too. So trying to bounce bullets off your chest is still a bad idea.

Bandages and Medical Kits [...]

Immolation [...]

Crippling Effects & Damage Types [...]

Stamina, Pain and Exhaustion [...]

Items: Stacks vs Containers [...]

New Enemy Types [...]
More information.

Having played the demo I can't wait to play the full release. Yes there was a few areas it felt like it needed improvement but it was just the prologue you got to play.

Yeah, the demo had me hooked right away.

I'm hoping they release another demo though between now and the full release. I'd like to see some of the base management aspect they've talked about.

One dev posted this yesterday in answer to someone asking for news in the Steam lair. It's not much but at least they're still working on it and still aiming at 2022 (that was in another thread end of January).

They re-iterated that they were not doing an EA, and a new demo in June's Steam Next Fest is not possible since one game or dev cannot participate too often. They seem too busy for that anyway.

We're a small team and each of us are doing like ten things at once so site updates are reserved for major stuff. I know, it's not much of an excuse but it is what it is :)))

But truth is we have been quiet, maybe too quiet. We have been adding layers of RPG and it is kind of hard to share that in an update and not reveal major spoilers. Keep an eye on our Twitter page though, you should see some stuff there once in a while.

Our immediate goal is to have the main game campaign running in a couple of maps, then build on that. Basically we're trying to start a war among the warlords and have fun taking sides. Sadly we can't take part in any other Steam festival until autumn, but who knows, maybe there will be other events where we'll showcase the newer stuff. No promises there yet, though.

I'd all but forgotten about this one, appreciate the update. Kind of difficult to disagree with the early access decision, I hope it serves the team well.

They re-iterated that they were not doing an EA, and a new demo in June's Steam Next Fest is not possible since one game or dev cannot participate too often. They seem too busy for that anyway.

I thought they just couldn't participate in consecutive Next Fests. Too bad they're not doing another demo. I was hoping to see that base-building aspect they talked about.

I thought they just couldn't participate in consecutive Next Fests. Too bad they're not doing another demo. I was hoping to see that base-building aspect they talked about.

Only once a year apparently: (link)

Each game can participate in one Steam Game Festival or Steam Next Fest within a year period

I'd like another demo too. On the other hand, I've seen enough to be convinced.

Back
Top Bottom