ELEX II - Preview @ Wccf Tech

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Wccf Tech posted a preview of Elex 2.

ELEX II Hands-On Preview - Spread Your Technological Wings

Piranha Bytes is a development studio that requires no introduction, especially to fans of role-playing games, as it is the studio behind the Gothic and Risen series. Back in 2017, the studio branched out from its two series with ELEX, an open-world role-playing game that did worldbuilding and role-playing right, but not much else, as the gameplay wasn't particularly inspired. A few years later, and with more experience under their belt, Piranha Bytes is ready to bring players back in the world of Magalan with ELEX II, a game that stays true to the studio's roots but that also tries to move the series' experience further.

To be completely honest, ELEX II doesn't feel very different from the original, although the many tweaks made to the open-world formula make the experience feel considerably smoother. Jax's new adventure to save Magalan from yet another threat coming from outer space, however, still feels markedly "Eurojank": animations, while smoother, are definitely not on par with modern AAA productions, and the presentation, while improved on multiple fronts, still screams low-budget at every turn. But this isn't inherently bad, as ELEX II, like many similar titles out there, is not without its charms.

[...]

EDIT: More Elex II news, thanks @Pladio and Techraptor!

More information.

A bit rough around the edges, but I'm okay with that. The world, story, exploration, and game play are what I'm interested in, not necessarily eye candy. There are more than enough beautiful, slick looking crappy games out there. All packaging and no content.

I can't get over how bad some of the character's faces look. It's odd because the visuals in general are pretty good imo.

It's still my most anticipated game for the first part of 2022.

I can't get over how bad some of the character's faces look. It's odd because the visuals in general are pretty good imo.
Yep, first thing I noticed. Some are really really bad.

Yes character's faces couldn't be any worse.

The faces aren't that bad. It's just that most of them have eyes that look way too out of their sockets.

I find it odd how many games seem to struggle with faces. I mean, I can understand how high-quality facial animation and lip syncing would be a challenge for lower budgets, but I wouldn't have thought the modelling of faces is that big of a challenge, these days.

Maybe if they had a publisher who funds them properly and a bigger team. Someone mentioned visuals don''t matter in RPGs on the Dragon Age thread. I'm outta here.

Last edited:
Well in fact i don't care about a ++next gen graphics for games from Piranha Bytes. Yes the engine is a bit old but the mecanics of the game has been improved, it is like sharping a jewel years after years. The only matter is the story, the ambiance, the factions, this is the "marque de fabrique". What i like here is the growing personality of the hero, the way he comments his interractions. The other things is the growing development of the factions. I can't wait to try it

I find it odd how many games seem to struggle with faces. I mean, I can understand how high-quality facial animation and lip syncing would be a challenge for lower budgets, but I wouldn't have thought the modelling of faces is that big of a challenge, these days.

That's what makes it even more puzzling to me. The lip syncing is excellent. In fact, one of the previews even wrote that it was some of the best he's ever seen in a game. I would have thought that to be a lot more difficult than just making pretty faces.

One thing that stands out to me as kind of weird are the characters' teeth. They all seem way too white and jump out at the viewer. There should be shadows over them to a degree from the lips and the colors more of an off-white. The teeth are all too perfect and nearly a fluorescent white, like they over-used a teeth whitener.

To me it's all about the exploration and discovery of neat things. The Gothic series, and Risen series although a bit lesser, and especially Elex 1 all have that in spades. I hope there's more overgrown vegetation and trees covering old sci fi ruins. The jetback on his butt, a little weird looking. The voice in Elex was low and dry but I got used to it. The new voice is almost too expressive in contrast but will get used to it. Faces do appear a bit odd.

Oh and I like the cooking is actually animated this time instead of happening instantly.

Wasn't expecting cutting edge next-gen graphics here at all, but if the gameplay and story are cool it should be quite a solid game. I really don't remember my experience with Elex too much in general, I should read a walkthrough or somesuch to jog my memory.

Most excited about rumors of the remade Gothic, of course.

I need to replay Elex 1 again. I've always wanted to do a cleric play through.

Maybe I'll do that when Elex 2 comes out. Give it some time to fix bugs and then play Elex 2 after that.

I was going to replay Elex before Elex 2, but the game is so damn long, and I have so many other games to play, I've reconsidered.

I'm still going to replay it someday (I also plan on going Cleric in my next run), but I doubt it'll be before Elex 2 is released.

Back
Top Bottom