Non-RPG General News - 2021 Gaming in Numbers

Redglyph

SasqWatch
GamesIndustry.biz presented infographics with some interesting numbers on the global game market of the last 12 months.

GamesIndustry.biz presents... The Year in Numbers 2021

Check out the biggest selling games, most covered companies, top influencers, the global games market value and more

2021 draws to a close and, as has become tradition, we try to condense the past 12 months of this fast-paced, ever-changing business into a single infographic.

Yes, it's Year In Numbers time, so scroll down for a selection of graphs, charts and stats that aim to offer a summary of where the games industry stands after another eventful year.

We have the usual update on the global games market value, as well as insight into the top selling games from key territories, the big winners in mobile, the balance between new and established IP at the big six publishers and platform holders, plus some assorted figures we hope will be of interest.

[...]
More information.

"Mobile $93.2 bn"…..that's unfathomable to me.

Despite having tried a number of popular titles, I have never found anything that tempted me to play on a phone for more than a few minutes (besides Tetris):biggrin:

I find it odd , that there are very violent games on the U.K. side of "best selling boxed games", but none on the Japan side, as far as I can see …

I also find it odd that there is a mobile games publisher having the same name as a rapper …

One bit I don't understand is the importance of the French town of Lyon.

The last graphics set is imho the most interesting one. Because it shows how much top people cling to their seats … "Transform a business into an enrichment machine …" (by me)

I've never understood how folks can play a game on something as small as a mobile device, I couldn't even tolerate the PSP or Switch for very long, and only in the total lack of being able to use my beloved computer.

Yeah, the fact that PUBG has a mobile version that is doing well is pretty shocking to me, too.

"Number of CEOs at Riot Games, Ubisoft, and Activision Blizzard who have stepped down as a result of the massive cultural problems let [sic] to fester under thier tenure:" 0

Maybe just a little opinionated there!

Almost the same numbers as usual. Mobile gaming continues to get larger as well. As for the part about CEOs stepping down well...gamesindustry.biz is part of the culture wars.

Last edited:
I've never understood how folks can play a game on something as small as a mobile device, I couldn't even tolerate the PSP or Switch for very long, and only in the total lack of being able to use my beloved computer.

It's probably convenient for locations outside your home. But yeah, I'll take a pass.

I'm not good with numbers at all, so I hope I understand it well.
The number of sold games doesn't surprise - those are the games which are the top for some time with games representation for switch, consoles and PC. Where the most popular RPGs is Spiderman and GTA, which is good actually for my agency - still waiting for bigger companies to understand the need for interactivity and still a good story in games.
But the number of sold bigger games with 75bn /92bn comparison to mobile games isn't that bad as I tought, obviously boxed games do have the lowest number. Still I wish they would continue with cheaper collection boxes for physical sales.

With mobile downloads it seem like the most poor countries who cannot afford more expensive devices with Brazil as a country nobody is usually talking about, but truth is they are the biggest country in Southern America, so I guess the numbers are logical.
My nephew was playing roblox because it is free and they don't have much money, now when he got laptop, I will see if he will get to more of PC games.

So the number of rich countries is more interesting - asian rich market with China internal mobile market, and USA is the larget market, so USA will be on every list I guess and the rest is asian market with switch? I guess revenue is with microtransactions? I'm not sure about the meaning.

In my country plebs are finally getting computers - it started with school work and work home - all of them bought laptops - they used to have mobiles for clicking games. They had no interest in a computer even for free - as "big, clumsy and taking too much of space for something which shouldn't and isn't center of their life".
Well atleast laptop is still a computer :)

Back
Top Bottom