Noclip - GTA, Lemmings & DMA Design

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Noclip released a new episode in their Greatest Hits series, this time unveiling the story of DMA Design Ltd, which became Rockstar North, and the games they made.

The History of Grand Theft Auto, Lemmings & DMA Design | Noclip Greatest Hits

Danny talk to the people behind Grand Theft Auto & Lemmings about the history of DMA Design and their lasting impact on the world of development.

More information.

GTA was like Dallas obligatory mind programming for the masses. Vaguely remember trying GTA 1, but found it boring. Then rest of the series never tried.:)

Ah ! Lemmings ! How nobody does these kinds of games anymore ... "Gamers" would surely call it "too childish" and "too colourful" these days ... Plus, GTA was rather standing for doing something bad ... Games in which someine is doing something good like actually helping some Lemmings to get to the other side ... na, that's too much unselfish ...

Ah ! Lemmings ! How nobody does these kinds of games anymore … "Gamers" would surely call it "too childish" and "too colourful" these days … Plus, GTA was rather standing for doing something bad … Games in which someine is doing something good like actually helping some Lemmings to get to the other side … na, that's too much unselfish …

Hm, I seem to remember that there were some levels that required you to literally blow up some lemmings at the right moment in order to save the rest. But I guess "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", so in terms of Vulcan ethics, that might still be considered "good".

Anyway, the past wasn't all rose-tinted. Back then, there was Lemmings, and there was Doom; nowadays there's GTA and there's things like Fall Guys, which was the first thing that came to mind when I read "childish" and "too colourful", and both seem to enjoy some popularity. Games cater to their audiences, and humans haven't changed all that much between then and now.

Though I never would have guessed that the same studio is responsible for both Lemmings and GTA. That *is* a bit of a decline, yes.

To be frank, Lemmings are not the best role-model you could find in an era where critical sense is essential. ;)

Most games are and always have been about violent or disturbing events, so I wouldn't be too hasty to judge; they're made to have fun and not to train as a killer. GTA actually began as a chase game, in which the player was a cop restoring order in a city.

In the documentary, they mention some of the controversy around the game back then, and where it originated from (which is quite fun). It helps getting some perspective.

I didn't know both games were from the same company either. Lemmings and GTA were done at a very different time in its evolution, but they were both serendipities in a way, and much needed ones.

In the documentary, they mention some of the controversy around the game back then, and where it originated from (which is quite fun). It helps getting some perspective.

Yes, I think ... I vaguely remember that ... Some distant memory of some people liking them all ( the Lemmings, I mean ) to drop dead ...

Back
Top Bottom