Star Trek: Resurgence - Announced for Spring 2022

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPG Fan reports that Dramatic Labs announced Star Trek: Resurgence, an action RPG planned for a Spring release. Note that the announcement was done early December.

Star Trek: Resurgence Adventure Game Announced by Former Telltale Developers

Dramatic Labs, an independent game development studio whose staff consists of a number of former Telltale Games developers, have announced a brand-new game based on the beloved Star Trek television series. Titled Star Trek: Resurgence, the game is a choice-based narrative adventure taking place shortly after The Next Generation.

According to Dramatic Labs founder Kevin Bruner, "As fans of Star Trek, it's truly an honor to be crafting a story which puts players right in the heart of the action, where significant choices and decisions will affect the entire narrative,". Dramatic Labs' staff includes twenty staff members who were previously employed at the now-defunct Telltale Games (or at least, before the name Telltale got picked up by a different company, which is currently making a game based on The Expanse. It's complicated!). These include Andrew Grant (a former lead writer and creative director at Telltale), Dan Martin (another lead writer), Kent Mudle (a former cinematic director), and Brett Tosti (former executive producer and creative director).

Star Trek: Resurgence is being independently published by Dramatic Labs, in partnership with Epic Games and under license from ViacomCBS. For more information, check out the game's official website, which has a handy Q&A page!

How fitting that this title should be announced right after we did a pair of Retro Encounter episodes about Star Trek games! This one definitely has promise, so stay tuned to RPGFan for more coverage of Star Trek: Resurgence, and see some screenshots below!
More information.

If it would be a turn-based, faction based game, where I could play the Klingons or Romulans or Borg against the humans and hear my victims scream.. in tactical combat, then I would support this game.

Looks cheap and cheesy. None for me, thanks.

I've always thought a TNG-era RPG could make for a great game, if they did it properly. I enjoyed the Trekiness of shooters like Klingon Honour Guard, and Elite Force. That sort of thing with some depth would be great.

Have to agree with Ripper it looks very cheap and cheesy. You'd think with an IP like this one of the lager developers/publishers would make a huge open world universe.

Still like Star Wars and Warhammer most of the games released are mediocre.:(

Highly likely this will just be another abomination to the Star Trek franchise. I'll keep an eye peeled to see what folks think when it's fully out, yet my expectations will be at perhaps an all-time low. Phasers are set to ridicule! -p

Oh damn, that looks awful. Terrible voice acting, and graphics look at least a decade old and just lousy. And of course they had to go with a Janeway-like Captain, so lame. (personally I think Star Trek Voyager was near the bottom of the Trek series)
Game play looks very dull and basic. Nothing like a Star Trek game should be.

I enjoyed the Trekiness of shooters like Klingon Honour Guard, and Elite Force. That sort of thing with some depth would be great.

I would have settled for another Elite Force rather than this, even if it was basically just a pure shooter.

And of course they had to go with a Janeway-like Captain, so lame. (personally I think Star Trek Voyager was near the bottom of the Trek series)

I also don't rate Voyager, but I thought Kate Mulgrew made a good captain. I particularly liked the way she did "Welcome to the Bridge."

I think the problem was some of the worst and laziest writing in Star Trek. There's the episode in which the Enterprise (I mean Voyager) is almost fatally undermined by Neelix's cheese, and the one in which they exceed Warp 10, which causes you to occupy every point in the universe simultaneously, and turn into a lizard. I saw one recently with the silly species that is polluting the quadrant with toxic waste - yes, it's a challenge to find some empty space in the Milky Way, stuffed to the seams with inhabited planets as it is.

Finally. I've been waiting for something Star Trek for years.

Me as well, I've been waiting since Enterprise ended for something legitimate to come along and revive the Star Trek franchise. To this day, sadly, I'm still waiting for that to happen.

I share the criticism.

Also why must it again be about saving the galaxy? The setting would offer so much more.

I agree with Morrandir.

Back
Top Bottom