Final Fantasy XIV - Review @ NeverKnowsBest

Redglyph

proud GASP member
NeverKnowsBest posted a review after 600% (at least) of Final Fantasy 14.

Final Fantasy 14 - A Review of the new most played MMO in the world

A review of Final Fantasy 14 after 6000 hours with it, focusing on where it went right, where it still might be going wrong, and what sets it apart from other games in the genre.

• Introduction 0:00
  • Part 1 - The early game 12:50
  • Part 2 - The story 35:45
  • Part 3 - The ARR problem 54:43
  • Part 4 - The end game 1:17:35
  • Part 4b - Raiding 1:37:39
  • Part 5 - A home you can return to 1:48:38
More information.

There are some strange people in this world. Anyone who could sink 6000 hours into something like this qualifies as one of them in my book. :)

Yes, it's crazy. The game was out in Autumn 2010 so this is an average of 1.5 hour per day since then. And from his previous videos, he has clearly spent a lot of time on other games and making these videos. It must be a real passion.

I tried to retrieve how much time I spent on EQ2, but they don't give that info, I was surprised my account was still there. I'd be surprised if I even spent 1/10 of what he did.

I know back when EQ one first released during the first five years I racked up over a thousand hours, so it can be done, and during those days I was still working as well. I didn't sleep much back then. -p

I've made several attempts at getting an in-depth look into FFXIV and seeing what the hub-bub is, and I just can't get into it due to the anime elements, like cat ladies, cutesie little people, men with anime hair. For some reason I cannot take that world seriously and even attempt to immerse myself in that world.

I keep hearing how fantastic the story is, but as ignorant as it may sound, I just have a hard time believing it. Maybe I'm just stubborn.

I've made several attempts at getting an in-depth look into FFXIV and seeing what the hub-bub is, and I just can't get into it due to the anime elements, like cat ladies, cutesie little people, men with anime hair. For some reason I cannot take that world seriously and even attempt to immerse myself in that world.

I keep hearing how fantastic the story is, but as ignorant as it may sound, I just have a hard time believing it. Maybe I'm just stubborn.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. It's definitely a very distinct style and I believe that most people either like or dislike it; I'm not convinced it's an easily acquired taste either.

It's not for me either. That's why I'm not covering the genre very much, I'm just not familiar with it.

There are some strange people in this world. Anyone who could sink 6000 hours into something like this qualifies as one of them in my book. :)

Yeah, it makes you think - they say that 10,000 hours practice is what it takes to master a skill. If I saw myself racking up those kind of hours in a game, I'd be asking myself some questions.

Only MMO I played was KoToR and I loved it. Only because it was single-player mission focused. MMO's like this that make you grind to much are not appealing to me.

Only MMO I played was KoToR and I loved it. Only because it was single-player mission focused. MMO's like this that make you grind to much are not appealing to me.

You don't have to grind unless you're leveling up multiple jobs. If you stick to a single job (class) you can get enough XP to hit top level by just doing the main story quests and their associated dungeons.

The world looks quite good and I like the classes. Maybe I could pick up the most realistic/cool race after long searching. But I guess I'm done with trying new MMOs and then be scared who or what will destroy it if I will get attached to it. like this review - the idea of streamlining main quest beacuse he was overlevel. Why? Does he not consider players who may miss that? I guess those influencers never do care.

Back
Top Bottom