Days Gone - First Impressions @ MG

I'm not sure if the blame can be laid solely on Sony. Days Gone wasn't a big seller for whatever reasons. I know there were some technical issues at release, but tbh, I think it's also one of those games that flew under the radar. The masses just weren't aware of how good this game is.

I almost bought this on release, and then again during the recent Steam sale, but I just can't get into the forced "I'm a bad-assed biker dude" role. Had I been able to make my own character from the ground up, it'd be in my library.

I almost bought this on release, and then again during the recent Steam sale, but I just can't get into the forced "I'm a bad-assed biker dude" role. Had I been able to make my own character from the ground up, it'd be in my library.

I'll be blunt here. If that's your reason for not playing it, it's a dumb one.

Count me as another who loved playing the PC version. Yeah we wont be getting a sequel due to poor console reviews, and low sales on it's initial console release.

One of the best games I played on PC last year. I actually agree with ChaosTheory about the protagonist being a bit of a loser and I didn't really get into playing him, but still, the gameplay and story-telling are top notch. I didn't know that there is definitely not going to be a sequel... I thought the game did really well, but I guess I'm wrong. Too bad, the game deserves one... especially with the story; I feel there's more to tell there too.

One of the best games I played on PC last year. I actually agree with ChaosTheory about the protagonist being a bit of a loser and I didn't really get into playing him, but still, the gameplay and story-telling are top notch. I didn't know that there is definitely not going to be a sequel… I thought the game did really well, but I guess I'm wrong. Too bad, the game deserves one… especially with the story; I feel there's more to tell there too.

How is the protagonist a loser? Because he's wearing a biker jacket?

The question is would the manly guys have played the game if he was wearing a pink boa? ;)

Oops add me to the list of people who were not interested in playing a tattooed motorcycle dude. Not my bag. I prefer to play someone I can relate to and I can't relate to that. I kept feeling like the game needed to grow up in the vids I saw.

I'll add you to the list of people who cheated themselves out of a great experience because of a silly hang-up over dumb stereotypes. ;)

Wait, you mean zombie game number 9,782,246 did NOT sell well??? Outrageous! How is that even possible?? I thought everyone agreed that market saturation would only set in AFTER the 10 million mark. What a bummer...

I really enjoyed Days Gone. I didn't see myself as the protagonist but as watching his story unfold. IMO, it's a touching love story and a story about an enduring but infuriating friendship, against a backdrop of zombie mayhem.

Initially I found managing zombie hordes difficult so only did the minimum required to progress the story.

How is the protagonist a loser? Because he's wearing a biker jacket?

No, obviously its not something as simplistic as that. It's been some months since I finished it so it's a little fuzzy but I definitely didn't connect with him. He just seemed kind of grating... the kind of crazy dude who is angry at the world and kinda hateful. Living through that apocalypse could bring that out in anyone but to me it felt like that was also the kind of guy he was before the apocalypse happened. I simply never grew to like him.

It is one of those action story games with no progression which is not for me, so I shouldn't comment about it - but I have heard an opinion that if there would be more of unlockables with the story - I guess more of RPG features - like bike upgrades, different jackets, some hideouts, more survival and less combat zombies, it would be more interesting.

I think people get annoyed by the lack of originality that game writers/designers are notorious for.
I do sometimes.
They steal ideas/characters from T.V. writers/show-runners.

They see fan favorites from these shows and can't help themselves.

This game would not even exist if not for Sons of Anarchy, TWD and the Darryl character.

Not complaining, the game is fun. But...

Same goes for Ass Creed Vallhalla and the Vikings show., Game of Thrones and dozens of games, etc.

We'll know things have evolved when the TV people start stealing from game writers...

No, obviously its not something as simplistic as that. It's been some months since I finished it so it's a little fuzzy but I definitely didn't connect with him. He just seemed kind of grating… the kind of crazy dude who is angry at the world and kinda hateful. Living through that apocalypse could bring that out in anyone but to me it felt like that was also the kind of guy he was before the apocalypse happened. I simply never grew to like him.

I didn't get that impression at all, and I really don't see how anyone would unless they weren't paying much attention to the story segments and flashbacks.

It is one of those action story games with no progression which is not for me, so I shouldn't comment about it - but I have heard an opinion that if there would be more of unlockables with the story - I guess more of RPG features - like bike upgrades, different jackets, some hideouts, more survival and less combat zombies, it would be more interesting.

"Action story game with no progression" doesn't describe Days Gone. There is steady progression through most of the game as you acquire more skills and better weapons. There are even bike upgrades and some hideouts. ;)

Not sure what you mean by less combat zombies. You're not constantly fighting the infected.

I didn't get that impression at all, and I really don't see how anyone would unless they weren't paying much attention to the story segments and flashbacks.

I think burnout emotionally damaged military type is a better description. The wiki does a good job of breaking down his background - all of which comes out as you play the game.

https://daysgone.fandom.com/wiki/Deacon_John

I enjoyed it a lot. It wasn't the best game I played last year but it wasn't too far off.

Back
Top Bottom