Expeditions: Rome - Released

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Expeditions: Rome has just been released on Steam and GOG. For the occasion, the team is streaming on Twitch, and is of course on Discord too.

No Place Like Rome - CRPG Expeditions: Rome Is Out Today!

No Place Like Rome - CRPG Expeditions: Rome Is Out Today!

Vindobona, Noricum / Hafnia, Daniae, Januarii XX, MMXXII: The hero or heroine of Expeditions: Rome is not off to a good start: father murdered, sister married to an enemy and on their way to Asia Minor, to serve in the legion, far away from Rome. Meanwhile, on board your ship, there is another vessel getting closer - of course, pirates!

In Expeditions: Rome you will play a young male or female roman soldier, making your way through history. Take command of a small group of praetorians and eventually become the Legatus a Roman legion. You'll gather a group of loyal companions, engage in tactical turn-based combat, learn new skills, loot and craft new equipment for your soldiers, and shape the fate of Rome. Expeditions: Rome offers over 50 hours of cRPG-gameplay and multiple ways to end the story. [...]

More information.

Well I'm starting a new part time job to supplement my income, and I'll have less time for games to play. I'm also switching internet providers and will be out of service for weeks.

Bummer as I did plan to play this game on it's launch.:(

Well I'm starting a new part time job to supplement my income, and I'll have less time for games to play. I'm also switching internet providers and will be out of service for weeks.

Bummer as I did plan to play this game on it's launch.:(

Congrats and good luck with it! Ouch for the Internet part though :-/ When are you going offline?

You'll be rewarded by a game with fewer bugs and more improvements. :)

Congrats and good luck with it! Ouch for the Internet part though :-/ When are you going offline?

You'll be rewarded by a game with fewer bugs and more improvements. :)
The new job starts tomorrow and my internet will be cut off next week. It's part f the reason why I need to earn more money as I was getting ripped off with the high bill.

For what it's worth, you can get some new color schemes, emblems and trophies for "watching" Twitch streams for a few hours (up until 31st Jan).

I've tried their Twitch drops (just one), it's kinda fun. It's just cosmetics options like theme colours that can be used to put more customization colours in the camp, emblems, trophies and and so on.

For now you can get those drops by following specific streams, since I watched theirs a bit today, I got one after a while.

EDIT: was chatting on Discord and forgot to click "Post", so I didn't see Darkheart's post ;)

Not quite bug-free yet.

I'm currently on my way to burn up some ships and 2 of my characters ended up trapped inside a rock, reloaded...and it happened again.:rolleyes:

Not quite bug-free yet.

I'm currently on my way to burn up some ships and 2 of my characters ended up trapped inside a rock, reloaded...and it happened again.:rolleyes:
Maybe they are trying to hide under to rock. Anti ship burning

How to report bugs

Rome wasn't built in a day ;)

Bugs can be reported here, for those who are not using Discord:

- bug tracker
- [ click the "+ New issue" if that's not already open on a new form ]
- you don't need an account - actually, you can't have one, so it's anonymous. EDIT: it's also public, don't put personal data! I'm just giving my Discord ID so they can contact me.
- EDIT: it's always best to join a saved file if that helps them see the problem!

Saved files can be found here:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\ExpeditionsRome\Saved\SaveGames

Most bugs are about translations, apparently.

@Feist; don't hesitate to upload your saved file there with a new ticket, or to check with them on Discord, they're quite active

Maybe they are trying to hide under to rock. Anti ship burning

Quite possibly. ;)

Third time was the charm, this time I kept the camera focused on them as they were moving and apparently that did the trick. No more hiding under rocks. :p

Another thing I noticed, which is not a bug but can be percieved that way, is that quest-markers on the world map simply marks a location by "hovering above them".

In other words, you can't make the mistake of treating them like 2D-markers that you just click on and your party will enter the location in question.

Glad the rock problem auto-solved, being stuck is such a frustrating way to waste time.

Another thing I noticed, which is not a bug but can be percieved that way, is that quest-markers on the world map simply marks a location by "hovering above them".

In other words, you can't make the mistake of treating them like 2D-markers that you just click on and your party will enter the location in question.

I suppose you mean that you *can* make this mistake.

You can choose when to show the quest markers, in the Interface settings. It's rare but sometimes the game doesn't give all the information to deduce where you should go, so as a precaution I'm using "Only in combat" - because it's the only time you can't change the option to reveal markers.

Glad the rock problem auto-solved, being stuck is such a frustrating way to waste time.

I suppose you mean that you *can* make this mistake.

You can choose when to show the quest markers, in the Interface settings. It's rare but sometimes the game doesn't give all the information to deduce where you should go, so as a precaution I'm using "Only in combat" - because it's the only time you can't change the option to reveal markers.

Well sure, about "can". I meant "can't", in the sense of the imperative that you mustn't make that mistake, that it's something for you to avoid. ;)

I was not aware that they could be deactivated, I just might do that.

One characteristic that gripes me is the limited number of weapon skills one can use at the same time. At the beginning, for example, there are only 3 weapon skill slots. You can change them anytime outside of combat, but only 3 are accessible during combat and I have 4 skills with my weapons.

I think I understand why they did this, but it's very artificial. Either you have a skill or you don't. Maybe you need some time to refresh a skill but that's not a concern in the game.

Those drops are silly, frankly. The idea is that if you follow a Twitch stream that is "drop-enabled" - so among a few selected "content creators", then after some time you are granted the next drop in the series. The first one after 2 hours, the following ones after 3 hours each.

Those drops can be synchronized with the game and you can use them as cosmetic changes like colour themes, decorations and so on.

I'm fine with the idea of watching dev diaries of the devs, which are quite interesting and entertaining, in fact I don't need the incentive to do so. But setting the player on a gameplay channel (leaving it in background or minimized, obviously) and wasting bandwidth to get a few extra cosmetic changes seems anachronistic at best.

And you can't be idle for too long either, or the counter stops. I've only tried for the 2nd drop, but that's where I'm stopping. I'd rather enjoy the game without having to babysit a player in the background, maybe I'm just out-of-sync with today's world. :p

PS: I had this funny achievement though, made me laugh. This game has its share of humour, even in the UI tooltips :)

limbs.jpg

Those drops are silly, frankly. The idea is that if you follow a Twitch stream that is "drop-enabled" - so among a few selected "content creators", then after some time you are granted the next drop in the series. The first one after 2 hours, the following ones after 3 hours each.

Those drops can be synchronized with the game and you can use them as cosmetic changes like colour themes, decorations and so on.

I'm fine with the idea of watching dev diaries of the devs, which are quite interesting and entertaining, in fact I don't need the incentive to do so. But setting the player on a gameplay channel (leaving it in background or minimized, obviously) and wasting bandwidth to get a few extra cosmetic changes seems anachronistic at best.

And you can't be idle for too long either, or the counter stops. I've only tried for the 2nd drop, but that's where I'm stopping. I'd rather enjoy the game without having to babysit a player in the background, maybe I'm just out-of-sync with today's world. :p

PS: I had this funny achievement though, made me laugh. This game has its share of humour, even in the UI tooltips :)

limbs.jpg

I haven't tested the "twitch-drops", at least not yet.

If I remember correctly, back in the days before the release of "Dragon Age: Origins", there was some sort of promotional game that you could play which allowed you to unlock items in the real DA:O once it was released.

If Exp:Rome had that kind of thing, I might be more tempted by it but with only cosmetic stuff...not so much.

I also agree, there really are some funny things in the game. Lol on the achievment, I haven't gotten that one yet since I've only just conquered the opening area and set sail for the mainland.

My gaming got a bit delayed, since I started to re-watch "ROME" on HBO Max yesterday evening. It really adds a bit of extra flavour to the gameplay to go back & forth between that series and the game.

I haven't tested the "twitch-drops", at least not yet.

If I remember correctly, back in the days before the release of "Dragon Age: Origins", there was some sort of promotional game that you could play which allowed you to unlock items in the real DA:O once it was released.

If Exp:Rome had that kind of thing, I might be more tempted by it but with only cosmetic stuff…not so much.

I also agree, there really are some funny things in the game. Lol on the achievment, I haven't gotten that one yet since I've only just conquered the opening area and set sail for the mainland.

My gaming got a bit delayed, since I started to re-watch "ROME" on HBO Max yesterday evening. It really adds a bit of extra flavour to the gameplay to go back & forth between that series and the game.

The cosmetic customization is a nice feature but I'll probably play with a few times then forget about it. Though the colours in that game are really appealing so it makes sense.

The HBO series is great, I plan to watch it again too. There were very instructive podcasts with the historical consultant for the series (Jonathan Stamp I think) that I'd recommend but I'm not sure it's still possible to find them. For now I'm busy with the Roman Empire documentary. It's a nice format IMO, short episodes interleaved with explanations from historians. Not very deep but interesting enough.

Originally Posted by Redglyph

The HBO series is great, I plan to watch it again too. There were very instructive podcasts with the historical consultant for the series (Jonathan Stamp I think) that I'd recommend but I'm not sure it's still possible to find them. For now I'm busy with the Roman Empire documentary. It's a nice format IMO, short episodes interleaved with explanations from historians. Not very deep but interesting enough.[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested in seeing that documentary, unless it has lame actors in recreations, I hate that crap. Is that BBC ?

As for the HBO series, the low budget really hurt the show for me.
The world scale was so tiny I got claustrophobia watching it.

Back
Top Bottom