Non-RPG General News - Three Star Wars Games in Development

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Bluesnews reports that the recently formed Bit Reactor is working on a Star Wars strategy game. In addition a FPS and a new Jedi game are in development by Respawn Entertainment. The Star Wars Battlefront series seems to have been discontinued.

Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA) and Lucasfilm Games  are joining forces to continue delivering all-new, world-class gaming experiences set within the beloved Star Wars galaxy.

Respawn Entertainment, best known for their work on Apex Legends(tm), Titanfall(tm) and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order(tm), is leading the development and production of these new projects.  Vince Zampella, Group GM and Founder of Respawn, will oversee this new phase of EA's relationship with Lucasfilm, building on Respawn's award-winning history in game development and expertise in telling compelling Star Wars stories.

Game Director Stig Asmussen and his team at the studio are already working on the next game in the action adventure Star Wars Jedi series, and are joined by two new teams working to deliver additional unique Star Wars gameplay experiences across multiple genres. Leading the development of Respawn's all-new Star Wars first-person shooter game is Peter Hirschmann, Game Director at Respawn, who has a long and accomplished history with the Star Wars franchise. The third title is a Star Wars strategy game developed through a production collaboration with the newly formed studio Bit Reactor, helmed by games industry veteran Greg Foerstch. Respawn will produce the new Star Wars strategy game while Bit Reactor leads on the development of the title.

[...]
More information.

Nice if someone enjoys them. There are some hundred Star Wars games - most of them mediocre cash machines - and more seems to be coming. How long are they going to milk this IP?

Nice if someone enjoys them. There are some hundred Star Wars games - most of them mediocre cash machines - and more seems to be coming. How long are they going to milk this IP?
I think you've answered your own question

I think I would have enjoyed Fallen Order if it wasn't for all that jumping around. I guess Tomb Raider and Uncharted being so successful is to blame.

Do so many gamers truly enjoy that still - or are they just putting up with it? I mean, I enjoyed platforming games back in the early 80s - but seriously.

Oh well, when it comes to Star Wars - I think I will have to wait for the KotOR remake or potentially that Massive Entertainment one that's coming out one day.

Many Star Wars cames appear wasted potential. Either studios do not want to be creative or the creativity is taken away from them by the IP owner. Either way, we seem to be getting generic games aimed for the fans of the IP rather than actually good and original creations (mostly mechanics-wise as it is difficult to make an original story within the bounds of the IP). The KotOR games were an exception. The story was original back then, mechanics not so much, but the Bioware formula was proven already.

Hey Dart! Nice to see you ressurrect your account once more.

Please don't delete your account for the 100th time, stay with us this time! Cheers.

I think I would have enjoyed Fallen Order if it wasn't for all that jumping around. I guess Tomb Raider and Uncharted being so successful is to blame.

Do so many gamers truly enjoy that still - or are they just putting up with it? I mean, I enjoyed platforming games back in the early 80s - but seriously.

Oh well, when it comes to Star Wars - I think I will have to wait for the KotOR remake or potentially that Massive Entertainment one that's coming out one day.

Hey Dart! Nice to see you ressurrect your account once more.

Please don't delete your account for the 100th time, stay with us this time! Cheers.

That's very kind of you to say :)

I will all but certainly delete my account, though - or have it deleted.

It's for my sanity, as I can't afford to spend that much time on a forum - and history tells me I can't quite control that investment. I get very(dotdotdot) wordy and engaged.

If I could control it better, I would definitely stay - as I enjoy the exchanges and I even have somewhat of a feeling of being part of a community here - which is not a common thing for me :)

I definitely would have been ok with a little less platforming in Fallen Order.

That said, I quite enjoyed the game overall. I think it's a good game that could have been great with a few small but significant changes. Mainly, the itemization which is a sad joke.

I loved the old jedi knight games and hope for a modern revival of those games. But time will tell if it becomes something good or not :)

Edit: D'oh! They aren't making a new Jedi Knight game, but a new Jedi, like the Fallen order one. Makes me sad :(

Last edited:
I definitely would have been ok with a little less platforming in Fallen Order.

That said, I quite enjoyed the game overall. I think it's a good game that could have been great with a few small but significant changes. Mainly, the itemization which is a sad joke.

What itemization? :)

Yeah, the cosmetics and the weak character progression didn't help, either.

But I did quite enjoy the atmosphere and story. The 2-3 planets I visited were quite cool as well.

Not a big fan of the Souls-like approach to combat/progression - but it was somewhat mild and I could deal with it.

But the endless platforming and hanging from ledges got to me.

Ironically, because I'm actually pretty good at it - probably because of all those C64/Amiga platformers - which were much, much harder :)

But I just think it's archaic and a very poor excuse for exciting gameplay and content.

The former wife of George Lucas, Maria Lucas, recently told in a book (or was it in an interview ?) that currect Lucasfilm head Kathleen Turner just doesn't understand "the Star Wars magic", thus resulting in these - imho soulless - last 3 Star Wars movies.

My personal opinuion is that most game making firm never understood it, either., thus resulting solely in action games.

The silent side of Star Wars has never been explored, because Star Wars was exploited by extrovert people who prefer action over silent immersion (and immersion is for them merely a vehicle to transport extrovert action).

I'm still waiting for an non-action adventure game taking place within this setting in the scale of Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis.

I used to be someone who hated jumping in games, especially near precipices. With such a quality game as Fallen Order (tied for my favorite game of all time, going back to the early 1980s with Wizardry I) and others before it, though, I don't mind it, and I'm not nearly as bad at it as I thought I would be. Fallen Order does it very well so I'm glad it was included.

Back
Top Bottom