The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The RPG Codex made a poll about vintage RPGs - here's the result:

RPG Codex Top Ten Vintage RPGs Poll Results

The results are in, and our top ten RPGs released before Diablo are as follows:

1. Betrayal at Krondor (Dynamix, 1993)
  2. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (Looking Glass Studios, 1992)
  3. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (SSI, 1993)
  4. Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (Sir-Tech Software, 1992)
  5. Darklands (MicroProse, 1992)
  6. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (Bethesda Softworks, 1996)
  7. Ultima VII: The Black Gate (Origin Systems, 1992)
  8. Pool of Radiance (SSI, 1988)
  9. Might and Magic: World of Xeen (New World Computing, 1994)
  10. Dungeon Master (FTL Games, 1987)
-> full results.
More information.

Albion is my favorite.

Albion is in the top 20:

1. Betrayal at Krondor
  2. Ultima Underworld
  3. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
  4. Wizardry 7
  5. Darklands
  6. Daggerfall
  7. Ultima 7
  8. Pool of Radiance
  9. Might and Magic: World of Xeen
  10. Wasteland
  11. Dungeon Master
  12. Realms of Arkania: Star Trail
  13. Wizardry 1
  14. Quest for Glory 1
  15. Eye of the Beholder
  16. Might and Magic 3
  17. Ultima 5
  18. Albion
  19. Lands of Lore
  20. Exile 3

Darklands is one of the old RPGs I'm most nostalgic for. I wish it had been a success so they could have continued to produce games in that vein, as they originally hoped.

One of my absolute favorite old CRPGs doesn't show up on their (expanded) list: Alternate Reality: The Dungeon. Another series with big plans that didn't fulfill them.

The order is pretty decent, not perfect yet not terrible. The list, overall, is fairly solid, man, we had it so good in those days. The quantity may have been lacking yet the quality was outstanding.

Speaking of Betrayal at Krondor, we haven't heard much about the remake of late.

Speaking of Betrayal at Krondor, we haven't heard much about the remake of late.

Wait…what? A BAK remake?

Are you referring to the project that the original developer was doing? Because he's not releasing that as a commercial game. He was just remaking part of BAK for fun and to learn about the engine he was using to do it.

Or is there some other remake I'm not aware of?

That's the only project I've heard concerning Betrayal at Krondor, that a developer was basically converting parts of it, not taking the entire existing game on as project, if I remember correctly. Although I'd love to see someone do it.

Great list! I’m in agreement with most of the top 20 list, too, even if I didn’t play/complete all of them. Very inspirational to me when I was in the industry.
As far as the Betrayal at Krondor remake goes, there’s a small studio making their version of a spiritual successor to BaK called Call of Saregnar. There’s a free proof of concept demo, very playable, on Steam. I didn’t get to spend much time with it, but it appears they’re close to the mark.

As far as the Betrayal at Krondor remake goes, there's a small studio making their version of a spiritual successor to BaK called Call of Saregnar. There's a free proof of concept demo, very playable, on Steam. I didn't get to spend much time with it, but it appears they're close to the mark.

There's been a few posts about Call of Saregnar here. I've played the demo, and I think it has potential. It's still quite raw though and probably a long ways off.

Excellent Top 20, but I'd swap #1 BaK with Ultima 7, and #5 Darklands with Dungeon Master.

Browsing through the full list, I'm shocked at how many of those I've completed over the years. All of those wasted hours playing with myself;
My tombstone should read, "I had fun!" Ha.

I notice a few RPGs were missing from the full list:

Martian Dreams '91 + Savage Empire '90 - Excellent Ultima spinoffs using U6 engine.
ShadowCaster '93 - Fun first-person ARPG by Raven (Heretic/Dungeon Master hybrid)
The Legacy: Realm of Terror '93 - 3D step-based horror RPG by Microprose.
Fountain of Dreams '90 - IMHO, this spinoff was better than Wasteland.
Telengard '82 - Temple of Apshai-style dungeon crawl w/randomized mazes.

Hmm Wizardry 7 would be my number 1 and Eye of the Beholder would be much higher!

That being said I don't recall ever playing Betrayal at Krondor, so I've either forgotten or it passed me by.

Daniel.

ShadowCaster '93 - Fun first-person ARPG by Raven (Heretic/Dungeon Master hybrid)

Does it use the same Ultima Underworld engine? In the videos I've seen, I could swear it does.

Wow, top 10 vintage...
1. Might and Magic III
2. Amberstar
3. Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
4. Ultima IV
5. Legacy of the Ancients
6. Alternate Reality: The City
7. Phantasie
8. Exile: Escape from the Pit
9. Pool of Radiance
10. Daggerfall

Back