Expeditions: Rome - Fasih Sayin Interviewed on Story Design

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Kormaktv interviewed Lead Narrative Designer Fasih Sayin. Fasih is also narrative director at Dynasty Studios.

4h4m26s - Presentation
4h5m39s - When does the game take place? 80-50 BC
4h6m18s - Why was Rome chosen?
4h8m12s - What was your favourite story line?
4h11m59s - Is the game realistic?
4h13m48s - Are all companions based on historical figures?
4h16m23s - How much historical expertise to build the game?
4h20m44s - What's the period of the DLC?
4h22m50s - Were parts rewritten because of historical research?
4h24m23s - How many years in production? 3-4
4h25m5s - Some comments about game engine Unity -> Unreal
4h27m18s - Have you ever worn an armour? Yes
4h29m8s - Is that your first project with LA team? Yes and no
4h34m8s - Some comments on story variations depending on choices
4h36m37s - Story pacing
4h42m53s - How many words in the story? Roughly 300k words
4h44m40s - What's your favourite colour? Red
4h46m6s - Information about the upcoming patch?
4h48m41s - What rank is the MC and legion size? General, 4800+ ... =6000
4h51m52s - Any backslash because of female characters?
More information.

Thanks, this is very nice!

I'm especially glad for extra info on the upcoming patch, since I'm currently back in Rome after having finished with Africa. Having completed the companion/sidequests in Rome, I think I'll wait with playing the 3:rd Act until the patch is released.

Thanks, this is very nice!

I'm especially glad for extra info on the upcoming patch, since I'm currently back in Rome after having finished with Africa. Having completed the companion/sidequests in Rome, I think I'll wait with playing the 3:rd Act until the patch is released.

Apparently it's soon so you shouldn't have too long to wait. :)

Check out the DLC question too, it goes beyond the "time period" subject. It's apparently plugged into and extend the existing campaign. I wonder how they'll handle that, if we can use a save to go on or if we have to restart from scratch.

But it's surely not for soon anyway so I won't hold just for the DLC.

Apparently it's soon so you shouldn't have too long to wait. :)

Check out the DLC question too, it goes beyond the "time period" subject. It's apparently plugged into and extend the existing campaign. I wonder how they'll handle that, if we can use a save to go on or if we have to restart from scratch.

But it's surely not for soon anyway so I won't hold just for the DLC.

Yeah, that bit makes me a little doubtful, if it's really something for me. Since I doubt I'd start replaying the whole game (or an entire Act) simply to experience a bit of storyline that occurs "on the side" of the events from the main campaign.

So I think I'll just have to settle for a nice patch. ;)

Yeah, that bit makes me a little doubtful, if it's really something for me. Since I doubt I'd start replaying the whole game (or an entire Act) simply to experience a bit of storyline that occurs "on the side" of the events from the main campaign.

So I think I'll just have to settle for a nice patch. ;)

To be honest, I feel the same but we'll see when the time comes. ;)

Heh, he really couldn't choose his favourite companion story. I'm curious - which one is your favourite companion story and why, Watchers who are playing Rome? :)

I keep hearing that playing female protagonist is more interesting than male protagonist, which I was pleasantly surprised with :)

Heh, he really couldn't choose his favourite companion story. I'm curious - which one is your favourite companion story and why, Watchers who are playing Rome? :)

It's hard to choose. I'm only in act 2, so far they all have something interesting and different, either a hidden past that is revealed bit by bit, or a philosophy of life which is very naive and at the same time maturing thanks to the work of other companion(s). Or private problems and a warmer friendship…

Their stories and conversations are not as extensive as in Pathfinder WotR, but their personalities are very true, very believable. It's not a fantasy setting, so that must play a role, but I think that mainly they did a very good job.

I also wish Syneros was more developed, it does seem to get quieter after mid act 1. Bestia is a lot of fun but he's more superficial overall.

I like the contrasts in Julia so that'd be my pick. The fact I chose to romance her reveals more dialogues and other parts of the personality, so it's not entirely fair, but I'd still prefer her personality without that.

I'm not sure yet about other NPCs. Perhaps the villains are not as deep. They really shine in Pathfinder, isn't there as much to like as the companions? I wouldn't say the same in Rome.

Thanks for that, Redglyph!

Yes, romancing companions seem to bring out more story in most games.

I heard Cleopatra is also a very interesting character - I wonder if there are other well known people from history who are in Ex: Rome with interesting personality/story.

I was very surprised when they killed off a very famous person so early in the game lol

Thanks for that, Redglyph!

Yes, romancing companions seem to bring out more story in most games.

I heard Cleopatra is also a very interesting character - I wonder if there are other well known people from history who are in Ex: Rome with interesting personality/story.

I was very surprised when they killed off a very famous person so early in the game lol
Yeah, there seems to be more to Cleopatra that meets the eye (and I'm not talking about flesh…). She's something of a capricious diva too. We'll see how it develops, I think the real character was ready to do anything for power and for her people.

Hopefully there are interesting Gauls, that would be closer to home for me ;)

Cicero was there, it was brief but well done. He would certainly be a character worth developing, perhaps he's back later. Well, he should be.

They had to kill the famous person because it would be like a duplicate in the story. The order and timeline are not the same but the acts retrace similar history events. Then I believe they also did it to show that it's a game, not real history, and that the player should not expect to be constrained to the real facts but was free to make their own decisions. I was very surprised the first time too.

Back
Top Bottom